Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Frasca, Gosselin, Anderson and Sikic were added June 25th. Bengtsson was back in April. Mix in Pare, Mermis and Myers, I think they have more than enough bodies to fill the AHL and ECHL teams with some returning players. I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs/Marlies signed one or two more destined for the AHL/ECHL/depth.

They also haven't replaced Clune for an assistant coach. I wonder if Muzzin could be someone that could fill in? He was involved at the recent development camp, so it's likely someone that could get into it.
Yea, I think they are good on D at the NHL and AHL level nunbers-wise, but will probably end up adding ~2 more league min forwards that are primarily with the Marlies/competing for a depth role.

I'd like to see them keep all of Blandisi, Solow, and Mastrosimone on AHL deals (puts Marlies at 14F for sure) and would hang onto Berezowski, Singleton, Cavallin, and possibly Dillingham from the AHL/ECHL tweener group. Add in expected AHL deals for F Brandon Lisowsky and D Ryan McCleary and to get the ECHL roster to 8-10 affiliated Fs and 5 affiliated D.

That would about get it all done nunbers wise I'd say and TOR would keep 4-5 SPC slots open.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Have there been rumors about who we're hiring to replace Worldwide Wes?

I doubt he'd want to leave his current situation for a lateral move given his loyalty to Jim Nill but if he were willing I'd throw a lot of money at Joe McDonnell. Since he joined the Stars in 2013 he's picked a tonne of NHL players (10) even if I only count players taken outside the lottery.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I doubt he'd want to leave his current situation for a lateral move given his loyalty to Jim Nill but if he were willing I'd throw a lot of money at Joe McDonnell. Since he joined the Stars in 2013 he's picked a tonne of NHL players (10) even if I only count players taken outside the lottery.

I doubt it's a big priority right now. The next draft, or any play in Junior level hockey are both some time away, and it's not like we have much in picks next year anyway... Best pick will be late 50's at best.. I haven't seen any rumours, and I doubt that there will be any until suddenly there is a hire.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I would expect either someone that has worked with Treliving in the past or an internal promotion. I haven't see a single rumour though.

It would be interesting if Hunter was given another shot. He'd probably be very inline with what Treliving likes.

I doubt it's a big priority right now. The next draft, or any play in Junior level hockey are both some time away, and it's not like we have much in picks next year anyway... Best pick will be late 50's at best.. I haven't seen any rumours, and I doubt that there will be any until suddenly there is a hire.

I'd argue it's as important as ever. Scouting is one of the most important aspects of the front office outside of the on ice product anyway so the importance of the hire is paramount regardless of the amount of picks in hand. The scouting hierarchy needs to be in place by mid-August at the latest, where a lot of junior try-outs, training camps and tournaments start happening.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd argue it's as important as ever.

My main point was that it’s mid-July, so it isn’t that important now, and not a priority immediately. As long as they have a full staff by the time hockey starts up, with time to get everyone on the same page in advance.

Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
My main point was that it’s mid-July, so it isn’t that important now, and not a priority immediately. As long as they have a full staff by the time hockey starts up, with time to get everyone on the same page in advance.

This management seems very slow and reactive as opposed to aggressive and pro-active, so I would not be surprised if they waited until the last minute to do the necessary.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This management seems very slow and reactive as opposed to aggressive and pro-active, so I would not be surprised if they waited until the last minute to do the necessary.

Contrarily accolades coming in about Edmonton being effective without a GM. Jeff Jackson handled their off-season and now people are trying to convince him to take that role.

Hangover compliments from the recent run, or an indicator less can be more effective?

Does Would Hunter really want to be part of the Leafs non-streamlined management group? At this point in his career could a blank cheque entice him?

Reactions: Captain34

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Does Would Hunter really want to be part of the Leafs non-streamlined management group? At this point in his career could a blank cheque entice him?

Nooo idea. It was mostly tongue in cheek as I don't think it's ever going to happen again and it's not like his body of work was that good either in his short time here.

Reactions: stickty111

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Just thinking out loud

Could the Leafs back up a dump truck full of money to Jarmo Kekelainen's house to take over as our head of amateur scouting? He did an amazing job in St.Louis, you could give him GM money to do the job.

Would he take the less prestigious job title to get a boat load of cash?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Just thinking out loud

Could the Leafs back up a dump truck full of money to Jarmo Kekelainen's house to take over as our head of amateur scouting? He did an amazing job in St.Louis, you could give him GM money to do the job.

Would he take the less prestigious job title to get a boat load of cash?

He'd need some sort of VP in player personnel/scouting role (similar to what Wes got in Pitts) I think to really go for it.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He'd need some sort of VP in player personnel/scouting role (similar to what Wes got in Pitts) I think to really go for it.

I'd do it, some of the old guard did leave recently.

Laurence Gilman left
Wes Clark left

You could probably do head of amateur scouting / VP / AGM title.

Reactions: SprDaVE

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That would be some aggressive maneuvering that would be very interesting.

As a fan, I would like it because I would think we're getting someone highly competent at their job.

For Tree though? It would take some serious stones, if his team flops for the 2nd year in a row...I don't know if management will have the patience for him like they did with Dubas and Kekelainen might look a ready replacement on the side lines.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A good showing might get Chadwick on the roster.. that’d be awesome
Easton Cowan, the Maple Leafs' 2023 first rounder, is coming off of a monster season where he set a new career-high with points with 96 points in 54 regular season games. He also led the London Knights to an OHL Championship as the leading scorer and MVP of the playoffs.

6-foot-4 defensemen Noah Chadwick also had an impressive 2023-24 campaign. Chadwick amassed a respectable 56 points in 66 games for the Lethbridge Hurricanes of the WHL last season. Chadwick, was the 6th round selection of the Maple Leafs in the 2023 draft.

Look for Cowan and Chadwick to dominate this year and make a name for themselves on the world stage,​

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Here is the Summer Camp full roster. 7 LD have been invited, so it's a tough road to make the top 3 or 4 of this group. Chadwick is the biggest of the LD invited, so perhaps he's got that going for him. Six of the other invitees are 2023 picks, just Sam Dickinson is a 2024 for the LD.

Actually making the team, and having an impact would be an amazing achievement for him. Hopefully he does it.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I would expect either someone that has worked with Treliving in the past or an internal promotion. I haven't see a single rumour though.

It would be interesting if Hunter was given another shot. He'd probably be very inline with what Treliving likes.
I realize other GMs operate like this (see Kyle Dubas) but at least during his time here Tre hasn't really been proactively filling positions with his own guys. He kept Wes and pretty much all of the holdovers that wanted to stay, including Keefe. Berube doesn't have any prior relationship with him but still got the job. And while he did hire Savard from Calgary, that seemed more to do with Berube's St. Louis connection to him than Brad's.

Toronto has tended to have pretty mixed front offices prior to Dubas taking over. Ron Wilson was hired before Burke who kept both him and Cliff after taking over. Dubas and Hunter were in place before Lou took over.

Now that I think about it though, I don't see a top director like McDonnell leaving their position in a lateral move. What we'll likely need to do is poach a top amateur scout from a great drafting team.

These are Dallas' top scouts.

Sergei Chibisov
Dennis Holland
Jiri Hrdina
Jason Jaffray
Jimmy Johnston
David Kolb
Mark Leach
Shane Turner
Rob Grillo

If we're talking Brad's connections he had Tom Kurvers and Keith Gretzky in Phoenix, Tod Button, Fred Parker, and Rob Sumner in Calgary

If we look to poach one of their top amateur scouts:

Jim Cummins
Terry Doran
Ari Haanpaa
Allister MacNeil
Darren Kruger
Robert Neuhauser
Patrick Lachance
Mike Craig
David Akerblom

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I realize other GMs operate like this (see Kyle Dubas) but at least during his time here Tre hasn't really been proactively filling positions with his own guys. He kept Wes and pretty much all of the holdovers that wanted to stay, including Keefe. Berube doesn't have any prior relationship with him but still got the job. And while he did hire Savard from Calgary, that seemed more to do with Berube's St. Louis connection to him than Brad's.

Toronto has tended to have pretty mixed front offices prior to Dubas taking over. Ron Wilson was hired before Burke who kept both him and Cliff after taking over. Dubas and Hunter were in place before Lou took over.

Now that I think about it though, I don't see a top director like McDonnell leaving their position in a lateral move. What we'll likely need to do is poach a top amateur scout from a great drafting team.

Sergei Chibisov
Dennis Holland
Jiri Hrdina
Jason Jaffray
Jimmy Johnston
David Kolb
Mark Leach
Shane Turner
Rob Grillo

If we're talking Brad's connections he had Tom Kurvers and Keith Gretzky in Phoenix, Tod Button, Fred Parker, and Rob Sumner in Calgary

Jim Cummins
Terry Doran
Ari Haanpaa
Allister MacNeil
Darren Kruger
Robert Neuhauser
Patrick Lachance
Mike Craig
David Akerblom

Treliving already hired Shane Doan and Derek Clancy -- both people he's worked with in the past, and that's within a year of taking over. It's pretty typical for execs to hire people they've worked with before. You want people you trust and execs don't typically last very long.

Not to say they can't go outside the org. though. It can very well happen. There are probably many different capable people. But generally these kind of hires are not far from past relationships. I think it's more likely we see someone like Chris Roque promoted internally, someone likely knows how the Leafs operate and all that jazz. He's been with the Leafs for awhile. But he was also brought in by Dubas from the Soo...

Last edited:
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
""

Sounds like they might be grooming him for coaching. It would be great to have him as a Marlies and Prospects D development coach.

1721253583329.png

still miss him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
lol .cowboy is a kewl cat.curious about chadwick .

Villeneuve wound up having a very good junior career, and has made himself at least an every day AHL defenseman. If you want to use him as a point of comparison for Chadwick, there are some things going in his favour. First, Villeneuve never had his manual tracking data from Mitch Brown look nearly that good – not even in his final year in the QMJHL. Second, Villeneuve didn't have the physical advantages a defenseman has with Chadwick's greater size and reach. Third, while Villeneuve always had some good physical skill (aside from his skating) his decision making or "hockey sense" took some time to develop, where Chadwick I think started further ahead.

So where does Chadwick go from here? He's already signed an ELC with Toronto, which is a pretty big signal given he's a later round pick not even through a full D+1 season. He's not going to be able to leave the WHL until the 2025/26 season, so he's going to continue working with Lethbridge on his improvements with feedback from Toronto's staff from afar. Lethbridge seems more like an up and coming team, so unless they fall off next season he's not likely to get traded elsewhere.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Sergei Chibisov
Dennis Holland
Jiri Hrdina
Jason Jaffray
Jimmy Johnston
David Kolb
Mark Leach
Shane Turner
Rob Grillo

Jim Cummins
Terry Doran
Ari Haanpaa
Allister MacNeil
Darren Kruger
Robert Neuhauser
Patrick Lachance
Mike Craig
David Akerblom

You were on the money. They hired Mark Leach from the Stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad