Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I think I would be interested in exploring trading Minten. I love the kid and his compete level, but I’m not sure that the offence is there, and if it isn’t, then what he brings can be found in FA.
Seems like the guy some GM’s would overrate. I would only do it if we can can get something better though.

Maybe I’m totally wrong on him though. I hope so.
Minten probably tops out as a 3C. He’s very well rounded but isn’t a play driver and probably scores 40 points max. An intelligent pk guy with some two way ability.

I suspect the leafs will hang onto him for one more season to see if he develops his offensive game.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Minten probably tops out as a 3C. He’s very well rounded but isn’t a play driver and probably scores 40 points max. An intelligent pk guy with some two way ability.

I suspect the leafs will hang onto him for one more season to see if he develops his offensive game.
Yeah, I also think Minten has the potential to bring value outside of offense in the form of leadership, maturity and versatility.

Having this guy as a bottom six C with a letter on his jersey for ten to fifteen years is exactly what we need.

He would be a good one to lock up on a friendly deal coming out of ELC if we can.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

He is a Kampf replacement.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think I would be interested in exploring trading Minten. I love the kid and his compete level, but I’m not sure that the offence is there, and if it isn’t, then what he brings can be found in FA.
Seems like the guy some GM’s would overrate. I would only do it if we can can get something better though.

Maybe I’m totally wrong on him though. I hope so.

Cost controlled C"s have value, no matter where they play in the lineup. It would make no sense at all, to move off on a C, when we have so few in the system. Even if he does top out at a 3C, the return doesn't justify moving him, and then having to either make a trade, or overpay a UFA to replace what he does. Just keep the homegrown player, and use whatever he is to your benefit.

horner

May 22, 2007
Cost controlled C"s have value, no matter where they play in the lineup. It would make no sense at all, to move off on a C, when we have so few in the system. Even if he does top out at a 3C, the return doesn't justify moving him, and then having to either make a trade, or overpay a UFA to replace what he does. Just keep the homegrown player, and use whatever he is to your benefit.
Good Centers and D are high cost at the trade deadline.
A center an also pay wing
Minten 15 g 45 pts
3rd line center
60% FO
PK
plays te last minute ofagae t pressurve aw win
That is what I hope for

Last edited:
Reactions: nuck

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
100%, if he turns into a quality 4C who PKs, is physical, wins draws, and can play matchup defense, while being a home grown cost controlled player that's still a very valuable player.

Hopefully theres a bit more offense but think about a Cizikas type of player in my above description. Getting Cizikas out of NYI in his early to mid twenties would have cost any team an absurd amount. Might not be a "sexy" result for his development but being a top end role player, and not just "some guy who can play 4C" is still valuable.

Reactions: arso40

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Good Centers and D are high cost at the trade deadline.
A center an also pay wing
Minten 15 g 45 pts
3rd line center
60% FO
PK
plays te last minute ofagae t pressurve aw win
That is what I hope for
I think your keyboard broke there near the end. :laugh:

If we get that out of Minten, that would be an incredible win. Personally, I don't see that level of production out of him... but it would be amazing if we did get that. I'd be satisfied if he peaks in the mid 30 point range, and even that, with the other characteristics would be a win for us.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Given that so many of the reports on Minten speak to his work effort and intelligence, I have hopes that his 'ceiling' of being a good 3C is accurate. As to his potential scoring abilities, given that he really hasn't been a big scorer in junior, I'd suggest that his line mates will be the determining factor in how many points/yr Minten is able to rack up. I could see a more experienced McMann type on one side, on the other a more dynamic Jarnkrok type player. Not world beaters, but honest, hard working pros who have an individual skill or two that contributes to a line where the sum of the parts is greater than type thing.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Yeah, I also think Minten has the potential to bring value outside of offense in the form of leadership, maturity and versatility.

Having this guy as a bottom six C with a letter on his jersey for ten to fifteen years is exactly what we need.

He would be a good one to lock up on a friendly deal coming out of ELC if we can.
Totally agree. Keep doing the same thing and expecting different results isn't the way to go. I know you don't pay 3rd liners big money, but picking them up on free agency doesn't feel all that smart over the previous years. Leafs have given up too early on a number of players who fit this sort of role and character too much in recent years. It's not all about the top 6.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I actually think there’s a real possibility Minten is served better in the NHL than the AHL where structure can be somewhat loose.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I actually think there’s a real possibility Minten is served better in the NHL than the AHL where structure can be somewhat loose.

He's also not someone I would say generates alot of offense on his own but has a good shot.

Maybe playing in the NHL where you're surrounded by more skilled, better playmaking talents will suit his offensive skillset.

More players that can get you the puck in the scoring areas than junior.

Reactions: Sypher04

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He's also not someone I would say generates alot of offense on his own but has a good shot.

Maybe playing in the NHL where you're surrounded by more skilled, better playmaking talents will suit his offensive skillset.

More players that can get you the puck in the scoring areas than junior.

If he has a good shot and can use his size to get in front of the net and cause a bit of chaos, bang in garbage and tip pucks he'd be useful offensively

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Boy howdy was the 2017 draft bad for us!!
2016 was awful as well outside of Matthews. 11 picks total, and the only other NHLers are Carl Grundstrom, a fourth liner who was just traded for another scrub in Kyle Burroughs, and Joe Woll who could be a great selection if he can actually stay healthy. Mattinen found his way back to the Leafs but not sure he amounts to anything.

The blown depth picks between 2015-2019 really cost us, we've had very little homegrown talent fill out the roster as we continuously suffer cap casualties every year and get forced to fill the roster out with scraps.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
2016 was awful as well outside of Matthews. 11 picks total, and the only other NHLers are Carl Grundstrom, a fourth liner who was just traded for another scrub in Kyle Burroughs, and Joe Woll who could be a great selection if he can actually stay healthy. Mattinen found his way back to the Leafs but not sure he amounts to anything.

The blown depth picks between 2015-2019 really cost us, we've had very little homegrown talent fill out the roster as we continuously suffer cap casualties every year and get forced to fill the roster out with scraps.

It's too bad we weren't able to offload more of our trash prospects during those years to accomplish some of the stuff we needed to, like the Zaitsev disposal, trade for better roster pieces, etc.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If Minten can become a player like Henrique who is responsible and does a lot of things well this pick is a home run. You need guys like that

It’s too early to tell. But firkus/lambert/beck all look better than him

Trading back was risky. I was for it at the time considering mrazek. But it might end up biting us pretty bad.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
It’s too early to tell. But firkus/lambert/beck all look better than him

Trading back was risky. I was for it at the time considering mrazek. But it might end up biting us pretty bad.

but there's really no way to say that even if we didn't trade back that we would have taken any of those guys for example does Sam Rinzel who was picked by Chicago with our pick look better then Minten

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
but there's really no way to say that even if we didn't trade back that we would have taken any of those guys for example does Sam Rinzel who was picked by Chicago with our pick look better then Minten

Yes. This is true. But that still speaks to scouting. If Minten was there guy. He still looks worse than many of the players picked directly after

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad