Stanley Cup Champions relocated to another city

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
I know that the Victoria Cougars won the Stanley cup and then a few years later relocated to Detroit to become the Red Wings(does Detroit have a rafters banner for their previous incarnation)

Any orhers?

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
It's actually one of Gary's bragging points that no team in the (current) NHL has ever relocated after winning a Cup. From the Original Six on, winning a Cup has locked a team into that location.

Reactions: edog37 and mattihp

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's actually one of Gary's bragging points that no team in the (current) NHL has ever relocated after winning a Cup. From the Original Six on, winning a Cup has locked a team into that location.

It would quite the embarrassment if a league champion relocated.

Colts, Sonics and Rams are the three teams I can think of off the top of my head that were moved after winning a championship (obviously not right after).

All three are special cases tho. The Rams belong in LA and shouldn't of moved in the first place, Colts/Sonics moved because ownership wanted a new arena/stadium and when state + local government wouldn't concede, they went somewhere with a brand new facility.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Colts, Sonics and Rams are the three teams I can think of off the top of my head that were moved after winning a championship (obviously not right after).

All three are special cases tho. The Rams belong in LA and shouldn't of moved in the first place, Colts/Sonics moved because ownership wanted a new arena/stadium and when state + local government wouldn't concede, they went somewhere with a brand new facility.
It actually happens all the time in other leagues. Atlanta Hawks used to be St. Louis Hawks and they won NBA title there. So did Kansas City Royals, who then moved to Sacramento. I think Braves won World Series in Milwaukee and Boston.

Reactions: KrugAvoy

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Off the top of my head, the Athletics franchise is the only one to win a championships in 2 different locations and then end up moving elsewhere eventually (never mind their stop in KC in the middle)

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Off the top of my head, the Athletics franchise is the only one to win a championships in 2 different locations and then end up moving elsewhere eventually (never mind their stop in KC in the middle)

The most prime example I come up with is always the Oakland - Los Angeles - Oakland - Las Vegas Raiders. If they manage a Super Bowl in Vegas they’ll have a won a title in each city, during each stint in said city.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
It actually happens all the time in other leagues. Atlanta Hawks used to be St. Louis Hawks and they won NBA title there. So did Kansas City Royals, who then moved to Sacramento. I think Braves won World Series in Milwaukee and Boston.

I had to look at each league’s standings for reminders… both the Dodgers and Giants won the Series when they were both in New York.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The Kansas City team you're talking about had been the Royals in Rochester and Cincinnati, but they changed their name to Kings when they moved to Kansas City because of the existence of the MLB Royals.

In MLB, in addition to the Braves (1 in Boston, 1 in Milwaukee), you have the Dodgers (1 in Brooklyn), Giants (5 in New York), Athletics (2 in Philadelphia, 0 in Kansas City), and the Senators/Twins (1 in Washington)

In the NBA, you have the Royals/Kings (1 in Rochester, 0 in Cinccinati, 0 in KC), Hawks (1 in St. Louis), Lakers (5 in Minneapolis), Nationals/76ers (1 in Syracuse), Warriors (1 in Philadelpha), Supersonics/Thunder (1 in Seattle)

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So @Bixby Snyder wins for answering the thread question in the first Reply, while all other posters are disqualified for going off-topic. Long Live HFBoards!

HFBoards (or any internet message board) are like any human conversation. A topic might be raised, but the conversation then flows from there. It's not like anyone went completely off-topic either. You asked about Stanley Cup championship teams relocating. The conversation then moved on to champions from other sports relocating, and then whether it was that big a deal anyways.

Reaser

May 19, 2021

The Rams actually did move "right after" winning the NFL Championship. In 1945 the Cleveland Rams won the NFL Championship, in 1946 they were playing in LA.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Every relocation is a tragedy, but I really don't see how it's any more of a tragedy for a former champion to relocate.

Does it make it any better that the Nordiques franchise won the Stanley Cup the year after relocating to Denver, and not the year before?

I do feel for Nords fans, but that team was a goalie away from being a true contender and had they remained in QC, dont think the Habs trade them Roy.

I'll add the Los Angeles Dodgers won the World Series in their second season after relocating from Brooklyn.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
So @Bixby Snyder wins for answering the thread question in the first Reply, while all other posters are disqualified for going off-topic. Long Live HFBoards!

If the thread question was answered in the first reply, then did you want us to close the thread immediately after that or something?

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
If the thread question was answered in the first reply, then did you want us to close the thread immediately after that or something?
Considering the content of the subsequent posts, the thread would be a better fit for the Fugu's Business of Sports Forum. That would be my "something."

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
Since apparently it was answered and we're just doing tangents, the great "almost" example is the Devils potential move to Nashville for the 1995-96 season. Don't think there have been any other such close calls, at least in the post-O6 era.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Depending on how you view the Quebec Bulldogs continuity they'd qualify with relocating to Hamilton.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The Detroit Wolverines ceased to exist one season after winning the 1887 World Series and became the inaugural holder of the Dauvray Cup.

Yes, the pre-1903 series' are usually ignored today, but they weren't ignored then.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH

The Rams were relocated right after winning the championship. They were initially the Cleveland Rams. Won the nfl championship in 1946. Were in LA for the 1947 season

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

Oakland Raiders moved to LA one year after winning the Super Bowl

Braves have won World Series in Boston, Milwaukee and Atlanta

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad