Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I guess we are watching completely different players. A weird observation.
Not really; it's not like all the measurements are fact. There's that famous pic of Crosby at the combine being measured under his listed 5'11.

Anyway, let's split the difference and call him 5'10; I don't feel he moves particularly well, irrespective of his height.

• Haha
Reactions: Isaac Nootin

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not really; it's not like all the measurements are fact. There's that famous pic of Crosby at the combine being measured under his listed 5'11.

Anyway, let's split the difference and call him 5'10; I don't feel he moves particularly well, irrespective of his height.
Or you know... Just go with the listed official height if you're trying to make a point with a players height. But if you'd rather say he's something else for whatever reason, fill your boots dude.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Well even that isn't a particularly valid criticism. He's a fine skater, just a bit of an awkward stride

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Swedish team is quite good. Minten has had 3 of Canada's better chances of the period but hasn't been able to beat the Swedish netminder. Good bounceback period for him, but it still comes back to funky line construction; he is not supposed to be the finisher on that line.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Well even that isn't a particularly valid criticism. He's a fine skater, just a bit of an awkward stride
No, he doesn't generate enough propulsion from his legs; the stride is fine. Perhaps that will come with strength.

But again, at the risk of off-putting anyone by mentioning height, from a sub-6ft player, you would expect a bit more.

He hustles, and he's decent along the boards; but on the big ice, particularly, these things stand out.

• Haha
Reactions: Isaac Nootin

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No, he doesn't generate enough propulsion from his legs; the stride is fine. Perhaps that will come with strength.

But again, at the risk of off-putting anyone by mentioning height, from a sub-6ft player, you would expect a bit more.

He hustles, and he's decent along the boards; but on the big ice, particularly, these things stand out.

Have you seen him in the OHL?

I have seen him pull away from defenders multiple times, but I only watch highlights so who knows?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Poitras has been the most dissapointing for me.

This was a guy that was playing in the NHL and had some early success but he's looked slow and uninterested so far.

Both him and Savoie will need to be much better if this team has any chance at gold.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think it should be held as a 5… he put his hand on the numbers and shoved him from behind into the boards. beck was able to spin himself to go sideways but that wasn’t the Swede’s actions. Could have easily gone straight into the boards if beck lost his balance

Reactions: leafers

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
more on a leafs note. I hope we sign Bellows. I think he could be what we think or thought Robertson could be. Didn’t have the greatest start to his career on the Island but he’s a former first with skill and skating. Only 5 more games before we have to make a decision

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Not the greatest showing today for Canada.

Most of the teams best players were total non factors.

Started out strong but Sweden seemed to gain alot of momentum after that double minor from Minten.

Cowan had a better game today than the Finland game.

Minten tons of shots but bad penalty and a few bad turnovers.

Team has no shot at gold if Poitras, Savoie and Geekie don't play much better.

Reactions: Al14 and arso40

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Not the greatest showing today for Canada.

Most of the teams best players were total non factors.

Started out strong but Sweden seemed to gain alot of momentum after that double minor from Minten.

Cowan had a better game today than the Finland game.

Minten tons of shots but bad penalty and a few bad turnovers.

Team has no shot at gold if Poitras, Savoie and Geekie don't play much better.

Meh, Canada tends to play better after a round robin loss. I think they needed that loss. They’ll rebound, do I think they’ll win Gold? Who knows, upsets always happen. Maybe USA or Sweden gets knocked out in the QF. USA’s defense is pretty suspect

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Meh, Canada tends to play better after a round robin loss. I think they needed that loss. They’ll rebound, do I think they’ll win Gold? Who knows, upsets always happen. Maybe USA or Sweden gets knocked out in the QF. USA’s defense is pretty suspect

Yep this isn't a devastating loss or anyting but this roster isn't quite as strong as usual so the top end talents that they do have need to be better.

Rousseau has been extremely good so that gives them a good chance.

Reactions: francis246

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I’m confused with all of the talk about how giving Hildeby a start in the NHL would somehow hurt his development. Not like he’s coming straight out of junior and expected to be the starter moving forward. Wouldn’t be the first goalie his age to debut, and won’t be the last. Is there any data showing this to be harmful?

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
I’m confused with all of the talk about how giving Hildeby a start in the NHL would somehow hurt his development. Not like he’s coming straight out of junior and expected to be the starter moving forward. Wouldn’t be the first goalie his age to debut, and won’t be the last. Is there any data showing this to be harmful?
I tend to agree with you but I would also vaguely gesture towards the buffalo sabres UPL and Devon Levi with fear.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Wasn’t it weird that 2 of the officials was a Swede and a Canadian? Especially when they sat together in the box to review the potential 5 min major at the end of the game.

To me (I live in Sweden and cheer for them of course) it looked like an easy 5 min major and the fact that a Swedish ref convinced (looked like it at least) a Canadian ref otherwise is just crazy.

No other refs from other countries available?
No matter how professional they might be, it’s just not a reliable way to referee a game.

Reactions: Roadhog and horner

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Poitras has been the most dissapointing for me.

This was a guy that was playing in the NHL and had some early success but he's looked slow and uninterested so far.

Both him and Savoie will need to be much better if this team has any chance at gold.
Outside of Celebrini I don’t think a single
Canadian forward has stood out in terms of either generating chances or being the classic big hitter dogged forechecked we always seem to have.

Main boards are going after Cowan and Minten because they are leaf picks and Minten is captain but they all need to elevate.

On the backend Lamoreaux has stood out. Literally because he is so tall but also great skating and poise with the puck.

Reactions: hullsy47 and weems

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No penalty??? What the f***??
Exactly, a hit like that by a Canadian player and it's 5 and game misconduct. Likely followed by a 1 game suspension to boot.

That Swedish player drove him HARD into the boards like he was trying to put him completely through them. IMHO, it was intent to injure because he didn't let up on the hit at all !!!

A 2 minute minor was definitely deserved, at MINIMUM.

Reactions: hullsy47

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad