Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Love the optimism, but Minten really needs to show a lot more offensively to put those players as potential comparisons. I saw someone put Scott Laughton, which seems more reasonable but I'd still call that a lofty "everything goes right" type of projection.

Fisher put up 41 goals and 106 pts in his D+1 and was in the NHL in his D+2

Jenner didn't show much offense in his D+1 but put up 45 goals in 56 games in his D+2 while finishing 26 points ahead of the second highest scorer on his team.

Minten has taken some nice strides since being drafted but the offense still needs to take another big step forward if he's going to be more than a good 4th line C. Right now I'd project a Colton Sissons type of player with some hopes he could be more like Laughton.
Projection -> Boom Upside/Potential
Scissons/Kampf -> Fisher/Jenner

Reactions: andora

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I would take Minten as a 4th line centre with the ability to move up to 3rd line in the case of an injury.

And punch a guy in the beak every couple weeks (Gloves on of course)

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40 and VanW27

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Prospects are projects
WJC is hit and miss for prospects
Many times prospects at the WJC have had a great tournament yet never make it to the NHL

We have no idea how good or bad Cowan and minten will be. They have the tools but do the have the toolbox

Reactions: hullsy47

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
When was the last time anything was mentioned about Kara?

The guy had 20 goals in the KHL and is now on one of the worst teams in the KHL. If there were any way to get him over before the euro transfer window closes, I'd look at it.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
When was the last time anything was mentioned about Kara?

The guy had 20 goals in the KHL and is now on one of the worst teams in the KHL. If there were any way to get him over before the euro transfer window closes, I'd look at it.
I forgot about him

Reactions: Rare Jewel

horner

May 22, 2007
I am not making a long term decision on any prospect based off how they perform in this tournament. You would think the Leafs and Leaf fans would have that one permanently etched into our brain.
Minten Givin the captaincy speaks volumes about what other people see in this player.
Minten and Cowen being garenteed a spot speaks about what other people see in there character and will to win.

It's just chemistry that is missing

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Leafs drafted a Czech named Vladimir Ruzicka. He was often referred to as the best player NOT in the NHL.

He torched the WJC one year with 12 goals. At the time I believe a record for one WJC.
Leafs ended up trading him for a 4th round pick who never played and Ruzicka had a 39 goal season with Boston.

Last edited by a moderator:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hodgson definitely had a lot of things unfortunately that went wrong, a lot of canuck's incompetence played a factor IMO.

In the end though, your career is your career.

I'd argue Super Mario is the GOAT and if medical problems didn't get in the way, it would be universally accepted but unfortunately things happened the way they did.

On a much smaller scale though, I wouldn't get too high or too low on any of our prospects based on a WJC tournament. I remember Knies had a pretty pedestrian covid summer WJC and people on here were wondering if he was going to amount to anything.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Poitrias tries to do everything on that line. Doesn’t use his linemates well but Cowan is a battler and good forechecker
Agreed, Cowan looks like a winning player who would do anything to help his team. I think he'll be a good NHL player almost for sure, just a question of how good and if he has top line upside

weems

Jul 3, 2008
This has been a great period of hockey.

Had everything....Pace, hits, lots of quality chances.

Cowan had a very strong period. Had one of the better chances, was all around the puck and was effective on the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad