Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Niemela and Hildeby keep chugging along with very good seasons.
For me the big question is whether they'll be far enough along by next season to make the Leafs, or if they'll need one more year with the Marlies. And I hope we hang on to both of them past the trade deadline.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
For me the big question is whether they'll be far enough along by next season to make the Leafs, or if they'll need one more year with the Marlies. And I hope we hang on to both of them past the trade deadline.

Niemela - I would guess yes. He's been playing in professional men's hockey for like 5 years now.

Hildeby - even if he arguably is ready, I'm guessing they'll want to pair Woll with a veteran next season (even if it's a 1B/2A guy with the expectation that Woll is the starter). But, he'd also be the first callup in case of injury I would think, and get more of a mix of AHL/NHL minutes.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Niemela - I would guess yes. He's been playing in professional men's hockey for like 5 years now.

Hildeby - even if he arguably is ready, I'm guessing they'll want to pair Woll with a veteran next season (even if it's a 1B/2A guy with the expectation that Woll is the starter). But, he'd also be the first callup in case of injury I would think, and get more of a mix of AHL/NHL minutes.

The year after next they could have an influx of youth

Hildeby
Niemela
Cowan (if he doesn't make it next year)
Minten (if he doesn't make it next year)
Grebyonkin

Maybe Kokkonen in a depth role

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

What are the chances that they can convince GTA local Cam Talbot to leave LA in the offseason?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Cowan dropped down to the 3rd line with Poitras put on the top line

Both our boys still on the PP. A little bit surprised with how big an offensive role Mintens been given but he's got the kind of game coaches love.

Reactions: horner and arso40

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.

Both our boys still on the PP. A little bit surprised with how big an offensive role Mintens been given but he's got the kind of game coaches love.
I feel like the coach absolutely loves Minten, which doesn't seem shocking based on Minten's personality.

Reactions: arso40

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
What are the chances that they can convince GTA local Cam Talbot to leave LA in the offseason?
This is a great discussion. Who can we think will graduate to the NHL and when will they?

Our future looks quite a bit different (better) if over the next two years we can add (and keep and continue to develop) players to the big league roster at low cap hit.

Knies (This and next contract)
Robertson (Does he become a fixture?)
Liljegren (How much and how long on next deal)
Woll (This and next contract)
Hiddleby (Does he? When?)
Niemela (Does he? When?)
Gregor (RFA this offseason)
Benoit (RFA this offseason)
Timmins (RFA after next season)
Cowan (Does he? When?)
Minten (Does he? When?)
Holmberg (Is he anything?)
Kokkonen (Is the anything?)
AKhtiomov?
Tverberg?
Grebyonkin?

If we can add some of these guys to a roster that has Matthews, Marner (re-signed), Nylander (re-signed), Tavares (re-signed at deep discount), Rielly, Kampf, and Jarnkrok. Then we have a very solid core and depth with a lot of cap space (Bertuzzi and McCabe at numbers similar to this year?), Brodie or Tanev (on a Gio deal?).

Obviously, a few things have to break our way, but we could be looking at a roster in two years of:

Knies (3.2) Matthews (13.125) Nylander (10)
Bertuzzi (5.5) Cowan (.85) Marner (11.5)
Minten (.85) Tavares (3) Robertson (1.2)
Gregor (1) Kampf (2.4) Jarnkrok (2.1)
Holmberg (1)

Rielly (7.5) Liljegren (3.2)
McCabe (3.2) Niemela (1.2)
Benoit (1.2) Brodie/Tanev (2)
Kokkonen (1) Timmins (1.2)

Woll (3.2)
Hildeby (1.2)

and close to $20M (cap of $91.5M) to spend to upgrade where we need to and also to spend the following year when McDavid hits UFA.

We (Shanny and Treliving) have to make the right bets and offer the right deals but we could see this window remain open for another five years at least.

The year after next they could have an influx of youth

Hildeby
Niemela
Cowan (if he doesn't make it next year)
Minten (if he doesn't make it next year)
Grebyonkin

Maybe Kokkonen in a depth role

Reactions: Tarmore

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014

Ya, kinda surprising the way they're using Minten.

As a Knight's season ticket holder, pretty surprised how Bonk is on the 2nd PP as well. He doesn't even run the Knight's PP.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Is it surprising Cowan is net front presence?

He's not a big body at all.

Ya, I'd say so. He usually plays on the half wall but I suppose he has quick hands around the net and can really pressure PK'ers to win pucks back before they can clear the puck prolonging attacks. He'll surely slide to the side of the net and be an option down low and make plays lower.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Both Minten and Cowan are on the PP and PK today as well, nice to see how much they're being relied upon. All situation guys.

Hope Celebrini isn't suspended long but Cowan might be the guy moved up to the top 6 if that is the case.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Cowan been quite but that's pretty solid considering how bad Wood and Yager have looked.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Minten had a very strong game and looked very effective being the all situations 200ft player on a top line.

Speed was good and he was all around the puck.

I would be shocked if Minten doesn't at least turn into a useful NHL player.

Cowan didn't have a great game but the entire line he played on looked underwhelming.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad