Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Someone I trust in scouting circles told me that Easton Cowan was a lock for the team entering camp. I found that pretty surprising due to being an 18 year old and not having much previous Hockey Canada experience. Seems he has a strong reputation with the right people.
Age aside, not taking a kid who has one of the higher ppg in the CHL and also is a strong PKer and has intangibles seems like it would be a mistake

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I'm presuming our 1st is getting traded but is there anybody interesting I should be keeping an eye on come draft time @93LEAFS
This is a draft of defenseman.

Zeev Buium is a guy who's currently ranked 18th, definitely will be out of our range. But I've really liked what he's brought to Denver's program. Great offensively, strong on his skates as well.

EJ Emery if you want to go the defensive route. Guy's huge and can skate unbelievably well. Not sure if there is much upside on the offensive end.

Aron Kivharju - He's injured, I bet you he drops. Could be a Liljegren scenario. I think he's talented as heck, jury seems out but that skating is phenomenal. His passing and vision is so difficult to pass up on.

Outside of the D - I wouldn't mind going for Tij Iginla (Jerome's son). That release is outrageous. He has the physical tools, strong on the buck, his skating isn't elite but the fundamentals are there.

--------
I don't love Henry Mews. I see a lot of people really liking him, but I find him to be inconsistent. I don't see the Zayne Parekh/Cole Hutson offense, he's not an all around stud like Dickinson or Levshunov.

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
This is a draft of defenseman.

Zeev Buium is a guy who's currently ranked 18th, definitely will be out of our range. But I've really liked what he's brought to Denver's program. Great offensively, strong on his skates back well.

EJ Emery if you want to go the defensive route. Guy's huge and can skate unbelievably well. Not sure if there is much upside on the offensive end.

Aron Kivharju - He's injured, I bet you he drops. Could be a Liljegren scenario. I think he's talented as heck, jury seems out but that skating is phenomenal. His passing and vision is so difficult to pass up on.

Outside of the D - I wouldn't mind going for Tij Iginla (Jerome's son). That release is outrageous. He has the physical tools, strong on the buck, his skating isn't elite but the fundamentals are there.

--------
I don't love Henry Mews. I see a lot of people really liking him, but I find him to be inconsistent. I don't see the Zayne Parekh/Cole Hutson offense, he's not an all around stud like Dickinson or Levshunov.
This isn't directed at you but I hate when people call a draft "weak" when most of the time it really just means either not obvious/easy to evaluate or presence of prospect parity.

The last weak draft was arguably 2017 and that produced Petterson, Hischier, Heiskanen, and the best defenseman of this decade if not century in Makar.

These kinds of drafts are gold mines for teams who really excell in scouting because the top talents are not immediately obvious.

For the Leafs, this year is deep in interesting defenseman, like you said, which is our biggest need. 14 of the top 32 ranked players on TSN are defensemen. I really hope we don't just give our first away for a rental. We got Matthew's locked up, and we can easily sign Nylander with the cap increase. The window is not closing any time soon so there's no need for panic moves.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Between Aky and Hildeby, I couldn't remember the last time we had 2 good goalie prospects like this. Rask and Pogge, has to be right?

Woll being the age he is, is also nice, plenty of run way.

Also, Chadwick seems to be on quite the upward trajectory.

Reactions: LeafChief

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
IMG_5553.jpeg

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Why did ferkus not make the team?
Didn't bring it in camp. The are a few reports commenting that he looked nervous and ineffective compared to his normal game. They didn't even invite Riley Heidt who is the best playmaker in the Dub. Anholt is a WHL guy so he has seen a bit of Ferkus and Minten. I don't know if its more a comment on Ferkus or on the lineup they want to construct. There were a few odd omissions from the camp.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I wasn't the biggest Dubas fan by the end of his tenure but I do think we drafted extremely well under him especially if you consider where we drafted some of the players.

One of the major issues with Dubas is that for somebody who seemed to be able to identify and develop talent how often we traded away opportunities to do more of it

We were going for it so I understand moving picks and prospects but I felt like we moved a ton of those mid round picks for meh depth players unnecessarily

Even 3rd and 4th rounders become valuable if you can hit on them, we threw away chances to do that imo

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
I remember in the past a poster would list all our prospects and their season totals.
I know that is a lot of work but it was greatly appreciated by those of us who are somewhat computer illiterate

Reactions: uncleben

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
I remember in the past a poster would list all our prospects and their season totals.
I know that is a lot of work but it was greatly appreciated by those of us who are somewhat computer illiterate

Someone posted this near the beginning of the season. Stays up to date

Reactions: Roadhog

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'm presuming our 1st is getting traded but is there anybody interesting I should be keeping an eye on come draft time @93LEAFS
Tij Iginla is ranked 25th but I think he will go earlier. Dean Letourneau if you like Tage Thompson. If they keep the pick probably some guy who makes a late season charge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad