Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Fusco's puck skills and skating seems to have improved. It's like he has an extra step and he's been connecting on his first passes out of the defensive zone. Still too trigger happy with his shot and needs to play a more possession game if something is not there. He may have simplified his game for the better. Is handling the physicality pretty well. Would like him to commit more effort for loose pucks though.

Joe Miller on the other hand...not a fan. Not enough substance.

Last edited:
Reactions: SprDaVE

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Robertson needs to string together 40 games of injury free hockey before coming back to the Leafs.
He just needs to develop and play, not get rushed back.

If the Leafs need a winger take McMann, Steeves or Abbru until then.

McMann can't play without getting injured either.

Reactions: uncleben

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
McMann can't play without getting injured either.
Unfortunately that too looks to be the case.
He needs to catch a break on the injury front or the NHL dream will be gone.

I do view him differently though as a 27 year old undrafted FA.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Unfortunately that too looks to be the case.
He needs to catch a break on the injury front or the NHL dream will be gone.

I do view him differently though as a 27 year old undrafted FA.

Both need to stay healthy.

But I'd send McMann up to get 3rd.-4th. line minutes and Robertson to stay getting 1st. line minutes with Marlies, playing all situations.

Reactions: 1specter

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Curious to know from those who watch the Marlies and Leafs:

How does Robertson's play on the Marlies differ on the Leafs?

I know the competition level is different, but I'm more interested in what goes on between Robertson's ears when he's playing.

On the Leafs, I find he tries to do too much and is too much like a waterbug. Playing hard but not playing smart. My gut is that he is putting too much pressure on himself to make an impression to stay on the Leafs in a way that he wouldn't when he's on the Marlies.

In doing so, he's making it harder for himself when he does get called up, and he needs to bring his Marlies game up when given the chance.

Anyone care to weigh in? Does Robertson's style of play change when he's up with the Leafs vs. when he's on the Marlies?

Cheers,

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I know the competition level is different, but I'm more interested in what goes on between Robertson's ears when he's playing.

On the Leafs, I find he tries to do too much and is too much like a waterbug. Playing hard but not playing smart. My gut is that he is putting too much pressure on himself to make an impression to stay on the Leafs in a way that he wouldn't when he's on the Marlies.

In doing so, he's making it harder for himself when he does get called up, and he needs to bring his Marlies game up when given the chance.

Anyone care to weigh in? Does Robertson's style of play change when he's up with the Leafs vs. when he's on the Marlies?

Cheers,

He's more or less the same. He tends to have more confidence and minutes to really stand out so far in the AHL, which is expected. He's got more time to really let go of his shot and to set up on the first PP for his one timer, which is fantastic. I think whatever opinion you have of him won't change very much. He'll always play an energetic skilled game and he's always going to be a bit of a fearless bulldog in some cases.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005

Cheers,
I recommend going to a Marlies game in person and watching him, if possible. I go to several games per year and there haven't been many Marlies players I've seen in person with a release like Robertsons.

But I would also agree that he plays very similar

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

Cheers,
I try to watch/attend Marlies when possible, but others will be able to give a better and more informed answer than I can. But for me, it just seems like in the AHL, he has more time and space to do what he does best, especially getting that shot off.

At the NHL level, not only does he have less time and space when the puck comes to him, but he has less time and space to make opportunities for himself.

I think of his two goals against Dallas. Both utilized his amazing shot. Both of them he found the open areas (the 3on3 he was essentially wide open the whole time due to the situation) and received top notch passes for him to get his shot off.

These plays are come easier and more often in the AHL. In the NHL, he's going to need to work to create more for himself in that regard.

That is really just my two cents of it all.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad