Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

horner

May 22, 2007
We don't have any dman on the marlies or in the system that are a year away from.making the big club. Except for maybe Kokkonen. We have a really good group of forwards knives Cowen Minten Greb Holmberg and Robertson ( if he can stay healthy ).
We need to concentrate on defence how we do it I don't know .
Niemela I don't think is a treliving kind of dman .

Reactions: The Iceman

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We don't have any dman on the marlies or in the system that are a year away from.making the big club. Except for maybe Kokkonen. We have a really good group of forwards knives Cowen Minten Greb Holmberg and Robertson ( if he can stay healthy ).
We need to concentrate on defence how we do it I don't know .
Niemela I don't think is a treliving kind of dman .

I don't understand why Niemela isn't a "Treliving defenseman"? I think he likes good players and if Niemela is good, he'll like him all the same. Is it because he's not a big guy? The irony here is that Kokkonen and Niemela are pretty much the same size.

He's by far the highest upside defenseman we have. He didn't have a great pre-season in the games he played, but he's been very good with the Marlies so far. I could see him get NHL games this year, especially if we hit an injury to a RHD.

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
I don't understand why Niemela isn't a "Treliving defenseman"? I think he likes good players and if Niemela is good, he'll like him all the same. Is it because he's not a big guy? The irony here is that Kokkonen and Niemela are pretty much the same size.

He's by far the highest upside defenseman we have. He didn't have a great pre-season in the games he played, but he's been very good with the Marlies so far. I could see him get NHL games this year, especially if we hit an injury to a RHD.
Thanks for clearing it up for me

Reactions: SprDaVE

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Same height..

Kokkonen is 200lbs, Niemela is 160lbs. That's a significant difference if you are trying to defend the net.

Reactions: supermann_98

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Same height..

Kokkonen is 200lbs, Niemela is 160lbs. That's a significant difference if you are trying to defend the net.

Well first of all, Niemela is not 160lbs lol he's 180lbs. And yeah it matters to a degree trying to "defend the net" but what makes Niemela good is his skating, agility, IQ and skill level. For an extreme example, Cale Makar isn't great defensively because he's physically imposing, he's 5'11" and 185lbs.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Shouldn’t sleep on Villeneuve as well
I like Villeneuve, and hope he can put it all together.

Well first of all, Niemela is not 160lbs lol he's 180lbs. And yeah it matters to a degree trying to "defend the net" but what makes Niemela good is his skating, agility, IQ and skill level. For an extreme example, Cale Makar isn't great defensively because he's physically imposing, he's 5'11" and 185lbs.
Damn Capfriendly.

It's a real bunch of standard deviations from the mean, but Jared Spurgeon is one of the best defenders in the league, at 5'9", 167lbs.... but there is something to be said about having a big guy net presence on the team too.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
There’s no debate about it - our D prospects overall suck. We’d be lucky to get a single NHL calibre D out of them all.

Thankfully, our forwards look solid, as do our goalie prospects.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I like Villeneuve, and hope he can put it all together.

Damn Capfriendly.

It's a real bunch of standard deviations from the mean, but Jared Spurgeon is one of the best defenders in the league, at 5'9", 167lbs.... but there is something to be said about having a big guy net presence on the team too.
True but not a team full of them or overpaying for one. Thats how you end up with trading Gunnerson for Polak.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
True but not a team full of them or overpaying for one. Thats how you end up with trading Gunnerson for Polak.
Hopefully Chadwick becomes NHL quality. We don't really have anything on the bigger side in the system. I'd had hopes for Dahlstrom or Kral, but neither did well last year, and went back to Europe.

Reactions: supermann_98

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Our scouts seem to be able to find forwards and goaltending in the last few drafts looks promising.

We've struggled to find defense big time.

1 defender (Chadwick) selected in their last 11 picks going back to 3 drafts

2020 they took 4 defenders, notably Niemela and Villeneuve, in 12 picks

2019 they selected Kokkonen, and 2 other d-men (Koster being one) in 6 selections

Then you have 2018 with Sandin, Durzi, Hollowell, and Kral.. Sandin/Durzi are NHLers

Seems like it’s partially and issue of limited draft capital, paired with a coincidence of what the BPA is at the table.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

2019 they selected Kokkonen, and 2 other d-men (Koster being one) in 6 selections

Then you have 2018 with Sandin, Durzi, Hollowell, and Kral.. Sandin/Durzi are NHLers

Seems like it’s partially and issue of limited draft capital, paired with a coincidence of what the BPA is at the table.

Yea - the lack of draft capital is definitely not helpful.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I know with the Marlies right now, most eyes are one Robertson, Niemela and McMann. But has anyone had a good look at Tverberg? 3 points on 4 games is a nice start, but hoping for a report on his overall game. I really think he makes it as an energy player down the line.

Hoping to get to some Marlies games. Tonight's vs. Milwaukee would have been a good one. Askarov, a bunch of recent 1st round forwards, and some former NHLers in Gurianov and Jankowski on that team. But Tuesday nights aren't great, especially not when a leaf game is on as well.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

When they did have a lot of picks (2015-2017), they did draft a ton of d-men but Mark Hunter shit the bed and picked a bunch of refrigerators who amounted to nothing. Only Matthews (1st overall), Marner (4th overall), Liljegren (17th overall), and Woll (62nd overall) have amounted to anything.

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
I know with the Marlies right now, most eyes are one Robertson, Niemela and McMann. But has anyone had a good look at Tverberg? 3 points on 4 games is a nice start, but hoping for a report on his overall game. I really think he makes it as an energy player down the line.

Hoping to get to some Marlies games. Tonight's vs. Milwaukee would have been a good one. Askarov, a bunch of recent 1st round forwards, and some former NHLers in Gurianov and Jankowski on that team. But Tuesday nights aren't great, especially not when a leaf game is on as well.
i've only seen the first 2 games they played, but he looked a lot faster than i remembered and tended to be around the puck whenever he was on the ice. potentially a guy who could end up on the team up or down the lineup.

also add another one on the board

(i also think people sleep on abruzzese, if he was a better skater he'd probably be near the top of our prospect pool)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We didn’t pick any D in 21 or 22, and we’ve only used 4 picks 5th round or earlier on D since 2018. Two 3rds(Niemela, Kokkonen), a 4th in Villeneuve and a 5th in Koster. Those 4 are probably our best 4 D prospects but in terms of draft capital used on the position it’s very little value. Essentially the same value as trading for a rental Schenn, a 3rd goalie and retention payments.

Of our best 5 F prospects counting Knies 4 are 1st or 2nd rounders with Knies, Minten, Cowan, and Robertson. We have made some shrewd later picks in Grebynkin, and Tverberg but the vast majority of our draft capital has been spent on forwards

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
i've only seen the first 2 games they played, but he looked a lot faster than i remembered and tended to be around the puck whenever he was on the ice. potentially a guy who could end up on the team up or down the lineup.

also add another one on the board

(i also think people sleep on abruzzese, if he was a better skater he'd probably be near the top of our prospect pool)

No-one sleeps on Abruzzese, he's just a 24 year old PP merchant who has the same holes in his game as 3 years ago.

He had a fine rookie season, but it wasn't good enough for a purely offensive 23 year old. The surgery stalled his already weak skating/explosiveness.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Another assist so far tonight

horner

May 22, 2007
When they did have a lot of picks (2015-2017), they did draft a ton of d-men but Mark Hunter shit the bed and picked a bunch of refrigerators who amounted to nothing. Only Matthews (1st overall), Marner (4th overall), Liljegren (17th overall), and Woll (62nd overall) have amounted to anything.
Add Ian Scott to their if he stayed healthy would be with the big club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad