Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Debatable, as I see it right now:
1. Cowen
2. Minten
3. Robertson
4. Niemela
5. Grebyonkin

I know the AHL production is nice and all but still, shine has come off.

1. Cowen
2. Minten
3. Niemela
4. Grebyonkin
5. Robertson
6. Akhtyamov

Robertson basically can only move himself upwards by staying healthy, getting a call up and having success.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I'm not sure what Minten has down to be over Greb. A few months ago, many wouldn't even have him in the top 5. I like Minten, but needs to show more than one good preseason. Greb has been awesome for 1.5 years now in the KHL.
Making the big club out of training camp at the age of 19 is a huge deal. Don't get me wrong I'm loving what I see from Grebyonkin but he's already 20 and is at least next year in the AHL away from making the Leafs

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Making the big club out of training camp at the age of 19 is a huge deal. Don't get me wrong I'm loving what I see from Grebyonkin but he's already 20 and is at least next year in the AHL away from making the Leafs
Greb would definitely be on the Marlies right now if not for his contract; KHL is far superior to the AHL.

Reactions: TMLAM34

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Greb would definitely be on the Marlies right now if not for his contract; KHL is far superior to the AHL.
When does his contract run until? Is he stuck in Russia another year after this one or is there an out?

Also, KHL used to be far superior than the AHL but lately I'm not so sure. Lots of imports have left the K from what I've read

Reactions: uncleben

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
When does his contract run until? Is he stuck in Russia another year after this one or is there an out?

Also, KHL used to be far superior than the AHL but lately I'm not so sure. Lots of imports have left the K from what I've read
Yea it's probably not far superior but it's still ahead. Leafs haven't given him an ELC yet, but I assume they will by years end. Think it's his last year on his current one. Kind of surprised they haven't given him one yet.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Not sure how I would rank Cowan, Minten, and Greb respectively when it comes to our top prospect. My gut tells me Greb is ahead of both of those guys. What has done, and continues to do in the K is pretty spectacular. Like previous posters have mentioned, the KHL is no joke. It is incredibly difficult for players his age to even get regular minutes, let alone produce at the rate he has.

I think what is the most appealing about those 3 prospects is that they all possess very different qualities and they project to be different style players at the pro level. Not every player can be a top 6 forward and get PP1 minutes. We need a full compliment of prospects that are willing and able to adapt their games to fit our needs.

You look at Robby as a prime example of a player who has kind of been boxed out of a roster spot because of his inability to adapt his game. There is no doubt in my mind he would be an NHL'er on more than half of the NHL rosters at this point, but he does not fit the need for us.

Guys like Minten, Cowan, and Knies all seem to possess a bit more of a malleable profile, whereas Robby and Greb kind of fill that skill profile. It's a fairly good balance in our top 5 forward prospects IMO.

Not to mention, I do believe Greb has a bit of snarl to his game if I am not mistaken, and unlike Robby, he has the frame to play that way at the pro level.

I do still have hopes for Nick, he has NHL skill with a Josh Ho-Sang like brain. Until he figures out that less is more at the NHL level, he will likely not cement himself on our roster. I am really pulling for him though. He is a tremendous talent that has all the tools to become a really good player. He's just gotta put it all together. He is still incredibly young, and we should not even come close to writing him off.

Reactions: hockeynorth

horner

May 22, 2007
Not sure how I would rank Cowan, Minten, and Greb respectively when it comes to our top prospect. My gut tells me Greb is ahead of both of those guys. What has done, and continues to do in the K is pretty spectacular. Like previous posters have mentioned, the KHL is no joke. It is incredibly difficult for players his age to even get regular minutes, let alone produce at the rate he has.

I think what is the most appealing about those 3 prospects is that they all possess very different qualities and they project to be different style players at the pro level. Not every player can be a top 6 forward and get PP1 minutes. We need a full compliment of prospects that are willing and able to adapt their games to fit our needs.

You look at Robby as a prime example of a player who has kind of been boxed out of a roster spot because of his inability to adapt his game. There is no doubt in my mind he would be an NHL'er on more than half of the NHL rosters at this point, but he does not fit the need for us.

Guys like Minten, Cowan, and Knies all seem to possess a bit more of a malleable profile, whereas Robby and Greb kind of fill that skill profile. It's a fairly good balance in our top 5 forward prospects IMO.

Not to mention, I do believe Greb has a bit of snarl to his game if I am not mistaken, and unlike Robby, he has the frame to play that way at the pro level.

I do still have hopes for Nick, he has NiHL skill with a Josh Ho-Sang like brain. Until he figures out that less is more at the NHL level, he will likely not cement himself on our roster. I am really pulling for him though. He is a tremendous talent that has all the tools to become a really good player. He's just gotta put it all together. He is still incredibly young, and we should not even come close to writing him off.
Greb is he signed next yr with the khl team

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Have to be happy with what we've seen from Minten this year. Dont get me wrong him making the team is impressive and a real testament to his development and strong defensive ability at a young age, but I can't help but think a big part of him making it is because we came to camp with only 3 NHL caliber centre's on the roster.

He still had to beat out Holmberg, as well as the idea of playing W/Cs as centre's (Nylander, Domi, Jarnkrok), abd good on him for doing that. But If we had a capable 3C, not even a good one, just a proven 3C caliber player (think Nick Paul-ish), I highly doubt he's starts the season as a NHLer.

Reactions: The Iceman

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I know the AHL production is nice and all but still, shine has come off.

1. Cowen
2. Minten
3. Niemela
4. Grebyonkin
5. Robertson
6. Akhtyamov

Robertson basically can only move himself upwards by staying healthy, getting a call up and having success.
Don't understand this board (as well as the media's) obsession of continually writing off Robertson. Doesn't matter what he does, it's never good enough for many. Same thing happened with Lily a few years back. If given the chance (here or elsewhere) I would be surprised if that kid doesn't avg 20 goals in the league. I will take a kid with his heart on my team all day long.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yea it's probably not far superior but it's still ahead. Leafs haven't given him an ELC yet, but I assume they will by years end. Think it's his last year on his current one. Kind of surprised they haven't given him one yet.

I would love him to join the Marlies for a potential playoff run.

Don't understand this board (as well as the media's) obsession of continually writing off Robertson. Doesn't matter what he does, it's never good enough for many. Same thing happened with Lily a few years back. If given the chance (here or elsewhere) I would be surprised if that kid doesn't avg 20 goals in the league. I will take a kid with his heart on my team all day long.

I dislike the combination of size (lack of) speed now coupled with poor durability.

I hope he comes up half way through the year and pops off for like 8-12 goals.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Greb is he signed next yr with the khl team
Any chance you know if there’s any out clause? Would love to see him in North America next season whether it’s with the Marlies or Leafs (he’d probably crack the Leafs lineup).

horner

May 22, 2007
His durability is the issue

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Can he do that? I'm assuming he needs to sign an ELC in order for that to happen

Depending on when the KHL season ends, I wonder if they could sign him to a professional tryout contract or something to close the year with the ELC starting next year.

Tommy Miller on the Marlies...I am stat watching from afar but interesting that he somehow is +7 on a team with guys hovering around -2 to +2

Is he just fortunate or does he look like some defensive stalwart on the blueline?

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
I'm not sure what Minten has down to be over Greb. A few months ago, many wouldn't even have him in the top 5. I like Minten, but needs to show more than one good preseason. Greb has been awesome for 1.5 years now in the KHL.
It depends on one’s risk tolerance. There is no wrong answer. Skilled winger on second line or elite 3rd center.

Minten is a lot safer than grebyonkin. Minten does a lot of the small things needed to make the nhl such as executing transitions and improving the transitions of other teammates. He’s also a lot more physical and spends less time in his own zone (whl). Very high iq and attention to detail. Engages more in that zone as well. In terms of intangibles, he has a strong growth mindset so he should develop for a long time.

Grebyonkin definitely has a higher ceiling with much better puck skills. Good passing, deceptive shot that he only uses if he knows he can score. Has been more physical in he khl than the mhl, but not at minten’s level. Doesn’t have the same level of detail as minten in the d or neutral zone. From watching grebyonkin, he was pretty good but not dominant (not that minten is either), but people talk about him like he’s going to tear NA hockey up.

Last edited:
Reactions: supermann_98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad