Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
My thoughts on when Clark selected Cowan reminded me of doing fantasy drafts with my buddies.
I always say it is great to grab sleeper picks but if you do it in the early rounds you didn't have to pick a sleeper. A sleeper is great as a later sneaky pick.

My thoughts have changed and I think Treliving and Clark showed a lot of courage sticking to their draft board even though it was not concensus.
When I saw this smallish guy walk from the rafters on draft day I was not thinking positive thoughts.

This is why pro's don't care and shouldn't care what a scale says, it's what they do on the ice that matters.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
My thoughts on when Clark selected Cowan reminded me of doing fantasy drafts with my buddies.
I always say it is great to grab sleeper picks but if you do it in the early rounds you didn't have to pick a sleeper. A sleeper is great as a later sneaky pick.

My thoughts have changed and I think Treliving and Clark showed a lot of courage sticking to their draft board even though it was not concensus.
When I saw this smallish guy walk from the rafters on draft day I was not thinking positive thoughts.
A few comments in his pre-leafs prospect thread suggest that the pick wasn't really surprising or seen as a reach within the Ontario scouting community, and highlight the difference between public rankings and draft boards.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
A few comments in his pre-leafs prospect thread suggest that the pick wasn't really surprising or seen as a reach within the Ontario scouting community, and highlight the difference between public rankings and draft boards.

I saw a clip where Wes Clark and some other analysts said other teams had him rated as a first rounder. I don’t think he would have made it to the second round tbh. He had a hell of a playoffs and was a huge riser. You have to think he would have gotten scooped up.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Here’s a fun question. How many forwards that were drafted ahead of Cowan outside the top 10 would you trade him for right now?

Based on what I’ve seen from him in the rookie tournament, pre-season, and now his first few OHL games… it would be a very short list.
Outside the top 10 I take Willander, Moore, Perreault and Sandin Pelika over him

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
no basis for this feeling at all besides post-draft season similarity but it's giving me andrew nielsen vibes and all i can hope is that i'm totally wrong
Ha I'm in the exact same boat and not willing to get my hopes without mainstream acknowledgement like a WJC invite etc.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It actually looks now that Dubas might have sold high on a talented but flawed player in Sandin.

Caps fans are already turning on him (posts from their GDT last night)

" Sandin is not so good, short and slow"
"Sandin is playing way too many minutes"
"Sandin with a lazy ass penalty"
"Particularly with Sandin not playing great"

Sandin is talented and will provide offense. He will be a effective player on a teams PP, move the puck 5v5 but the real question is can he actually consistently play defence and in a top 4 spot? His overall skating is a big concern and gets really highlighted when he plays in a elevated role.

Sandin is a high IQ player with good offensive skills, but his size and footspeed were notable concerns for sure. That limitation can force him to make poor decisions or lose battles.

I was ok with the trade if they parlayed it into something good, and it appears with Cowan that it is looking quite promising.

Goes to show it’s ok to sell high on assets and parlay that into other useful pieces

Also gaining more confidence in Wes Clark

It feels like somewhere around the Knies draft things changed a bit, went for more compete/size.

In terms of Sandin and selling high, just wish we got additional draft capital. Dubas said himself they could have but opted to get Gus included in the deal.

We didn't use him enough and maybe Keefe does less galaxy brain stuff with 1 less D.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
It feels like somewhere around the Knies draft things changed a bit, went for more compete/size.

In terms of Sandin and selling high, just wish we got additional draft capital. Dubas said himself they could have but opted to get Gus included in the deal.

We didn't use him enough and maybe Keefe does less galaxy brain stuff with 1 less D.
Would be nice to have additional picks but I understand the reasoning behind getting Gus. If Rielly had been injured for playoffs, we wouldn't have had a legit powerplay weapon on the backend to replace him

Reactions: WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Would be nice to have additional picks but I understand the reasoning behind getting Gus. If Rielly had been injured for playoffs, we wouldn't have had a legit powerplay weapon on the backend to replace him

We also closed the series out with Gus in the line up and won our only game against Florida with Gus in the line up...not sure if Keefe noticed that.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

genk

Nov 15, 2015
no basis for this feeling at all besides post-draft season similarity but it's giving me andrew nielsen vibes and all i can hope is that i'm totally wrong

Andrew Nielsen will forever have the strangest development curves. A fine D+1, and fantastic D+2, an amazing D+3 where he put up 39 points in the AHL in his rookie season, then an ok D+4, and then by D+5 he was barely an AHL player.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Andrew Nielsen will forever have the strangest development curves. A fine D+1, and fantastic D+2, an amazing D+3 where he put up 39 points in the AHL in his rookie season, then an ok D+4, and then by D+5 he was barely an AHL player.
yeah idk what happened there

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007

I didn't know the bolded. That's interesting. Guessing it wouldn't have been more than an additional 5th or something. But shows the Caps really valued Sandin.

A lot of people didn't like the trade and now it's easier with Cowan hindsight but I liked it the second the deal was made. If you have a player someone else values that just isn't working on your end, shouldn't hesitate to get value back rather than let them get stale and lose value over time.

It probably helped the Caps had just received an additional 1st in the Orlov deal, but I was a tad surprised Sandin returned a 1st.

Reactions: horner

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I didn't know the bolded. That's interesting. Guessing it wouldn't have been more than an additional 5th or something. But shows the Caps really valued Sandin.

A lot of people didn't like the trade and now it's easier with Cowan hindsight but I liked it the second the deal was made. If you have a player someone else values that just isn't working on your end, shouldn't hesitate to get value back rather than let them get stale and lose value over time.

It probably helped the Caps had just received an additional 1st in the Orlov deal, but I was a tad surprised Sandin returned a 1st.

I think I was just a bit concerned about the age and what was coming in our pipeline.

Rielly is in his prime now and LD looked pretty barren but now Kokkonen has emerged as maybe a 3rd pairing option...I don't know if Sandin's lack of speed is going to allow him to move beyond that.

The negotiations last time etc made me happy to turn the page though in the end.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Any western eyes on Chadwick? We've got a 6'4 D with 9 points in 9 games to start his D+1 and not a peep
You can check this post here, but the short version is he has above-average skill and good offensive IQ. His defense has a lot to be desired in terms of positioning and slow feet. He is someone you take in the 5-7th rounds, but his chance of making it to nhl is iffy.

On another note, Kressler scores in a high danger zone. He is awful on the pp, but he looks pretty fast. A little more tentative on the pk than what I used to see. Very high compete along the boards. Add an empty net goal.

Last edited:

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Cowan seems like a special prospect. Credit to the scouting staff, put themselves out there going off the board. I feel like sometimes if you are going to hit that home run you do have to be willing to take a risk. Gonna be fun following him all year.
In a perfect world, we could see Cowan as our 2C and Minten as a very capable 3C for a number of years.

Reactions: Leaffan1991

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004

We also closed the series out with Gus in the line up and won our only game against Florida with Gus in the line up...not sure if Keefe noticed that.
Klingberg at $4.15m or Gustafsson at $825k, hmm 🤔

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Klingberg at $4.15m or Gustafsson at $825k, hmm 🤔
image them as a pairing LOL

I think what I am noticing is Klingberg is obviously not good in his own zone.
Even worse is I don't think he has a conscience.

His giveaway up the boards in the first period that led to a goal.
Giveaway was a bad play but block that shot would be what most D would do after screwing up.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Didn’t he have some off ice issues as well

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Ha I'm in the exact same boat and not willing to get my hopes without mainstream acknowledgement like a WJC invite etc.
I checked him out at Eliteprospects and his ancient history at younger levels does show a lot of offense. A small sample so far but it worth watching. My guess is foot speed is why he went in the 6th so hopefully thats improving.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Didn’t he have some off ice issues as well
For sure what he could do at age 20 for the Marlies kind of set him up to be a pretty decent AHLer at least. I think he had something occur but it have been concussions or something like depression or lupus rather than a lifestyle thing. Of course 8 AHL teams in 4 years might suggest he isn't an easy guy to work with. Hope he finds his way again. I see Nick Mattinen seems to have eventually become a DEL stud so maybe the kid should look back over there

Reactions: francis246

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad