Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Wild how things change in a month. Minten/Knies/Woll poised to graduate, and the pool still looks surprisingly strong.

In the CHL
Cowan - needs to build on a surprising camp and continue shutting up the naysayers. Many think he may be one of the best players in the O this year. The conversation has shifted from "can he justify the "reach"?" to "just how high is his upside?"

Lisowsky- off to a hot start, 6 goals and 9 points in 6 games. Needs to keep that up to earn an ELC, the 5'9 180 pound fire hydrant has an NHL shot

Chadwick- 4 points in 5, with bad feet, I'm not getting burned hoping on what looks like another Neilsen.

In the NCAA (our 4.5 "M's) Moldenhaur and Malinoski look like impact players as freshman, Moldenhaur with the draft and u18 pedigree, Malinoski with a very projectable frame, unique backstory, and explosive development curve. Diminutive Miller needs to be one of the very best in the NCAA and tear the Ivy League apart to be a legitimate prospect at his size. Miettinen needs to take another step and having a dominat senior year to earn an ELC. Mike Koster is incredibly intriguing, was quietly an impact D on star studded group last year, with the graduations of Faber,Lacombe, Johnson he has a chance to be the guy.

In the Marlies- I consider the likes of Robertson, Abruzzese, Steeves, Ellis, Holmberg to be NHL depth moreso than prospects at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of them can be this year's Moore/Engvall/Johnsson and turn a call up into a career.

Hirvonen is coming off a disappointing camp, but I'm not going to write off a stocky, pest of defensively aware Finnish WJC captain with lots of Liiga experience. Komarov was worth waiting for, and Roni is further ahead. In a similar vein- I don't expect Tverberg to dominate the AHL this year, just build towards being a solid 15/15 high energy 3rd liner. Voit is a complete wildcard, if he produces as a rookie I dont think you can ignore top 6 upside, even at his size. I like Kressler, but he can't stay healthy so no expectations going in this year. Kokkonen was "the surprise of camp" and made a decent run at an NHL job. Steady, no nonsense d man, I'd love to see another Gunnarson emerge. Niemela had a quiet camp, but patience is called for. The kid is smooth, needs to bulk a bit and get used to NA ice. Hidelby? Big man needs to see some NA shots.

In Russia
Grebyonkin already 6 goals (9 got him KHL rookie of the year), outproducing 1st rounder teammate Yurov. I think it's time to recognize him as a legitimate prospect and not just another Russian flyer.

Ahktyamov- was given his opportunity this season with injuries and is just f***ing running with it. I was skeptical about the ELC but, well. Early crow? Yumyum.

I feel sorry for the "fans" that take the media lead and shit on our prospects without following them, missing out on a lot of good hockey players and interesting storylines.
Bobby McMann is another older prospect I wouldn't sleep on.
Hopefully he clears waivers.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bobby McMann is another older prospect I wouldn't sleep on.
Hopefully he clears waivers.

He's been injured a lot in the last year. I think he's had 2 pretty severe injuries. I like the story of McMann and he's been a great AHLer but I'd be shocked if he didn't clear waivers.

Reactions: The Iceman

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Praying he clears. I’m a big fan of his.

There's absolutely no reason why he wouldn't. There were a lot of better players cleared waivers
Every team has a McMann on their org. Not withstanding the fact that he's been severely injured

Can't see anyone picking him up that's owes him a favor of some kind

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Some really intriguing defense prospects in this year's draft but we probably aren't keeping our pick at the deadline.

I wouldn't be so sure about that

We traded a lot of picks last season and I'm pretty sure we don't have a 1st next season

I think we will be a little bit more conservative with our picks this season, also our GM isn't as tied to the prospects already in the system so he may trade some of them instead

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Akhtyamov is putting up NUMBERS in the KHL so far. He's really grabbed hold of that spot after a few injuries to the teams other goalies.
Leafs finally have some promise in goal after years of being a graveyard for goalie development. Woll took some huge leaps and just graduated from the pool, and you have Petruzzelli, Hildebeast, Peksa who all have good potential as well to go along with Akhtyamov. Then there's still Dryden McKay and even that Luke Cavallin kid who are in the mix.

Hopeful that at least one of these guys will be a legit starter down the line.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

We traded a lot of picks last season and I'm pretty sure we don't have a 1st next season

I think we will be a little bit more conservative with our picks this season, also our GM isn't as tied to the prospects already in the system so he may trade some of them instead

Hirvonen
Robertson
Maybe 1 of Hildeby/Peksa
Timmins
Jarnkrok
Klingberg ($ equalizer)

All seem like the assets we'd want to part with

Our prospect pool could probably take the loss of 1-2 of the prospects but I would like to keep the 1st if at all possible just because it is good to keep topping up the prospect pool and we've been finding some decent players.

Reactions: Kiwi

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019

Next year we have a 1st, Islanders 3rd, our 4th and 5th, two other 5ths, our 6th, 7th, and Ottawa's 7th. But I agree, I'd really like to keep our 1st and if it lines up value wise, take a D with that pick.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
There's absolutely no reason why he wouldn't. There were a lot of better players cleared waivers
Every team has a McMann on their org. Not withstanding the fact that he's been severely injured

Can't see anyone picking him up that's owes him a favor of some kind

Not every team has someone who scored 21 goals in 30 games in the AHL. To me it's 50/50 on if he gets claimed. Dubas might be actually be interested. I do really hope he clears though, I'm disappointed he didn't get a proper chance to win a job in preseason because of the injuries.

I also just want Robertson to get a stretch of playing big minutes and not getting hurt in the AHL so I'd rather have McMann as the first winger callup.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not every team has someone who scored 21 goals in 30 games in the AHL. To me it's 50/50 on if he gets claimed. Dubas might be actually be interested. I do really hope he clears though, I'm disappointed he didn't get a proper chance to win a job in preseason because of the injuries.

If the Pens make 3 waiver claims so early this season... they might be in big trouble. You don't just claim a player without some form of NHL need.

They are at 49/50 contracts, so I'm not sure if it would be wise for them to get to 50/50 so early either.

Last edited:

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

I also just want Robertson to get a stretch of playing big minutes and not getting hurt in the AHL so I'd rather have McMann as the first winger callup.

That's fair. I hear what you are saying
But Yegor Sokolov is a better bet, and he was on waivers just few days ago and hes' also 6'3 and has decent hands

Can someone still pick up McMann, then they would have picked or maybe even sign Comtois

Anything can happen I guess

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Was it Akhtyamov or Peksa who played the prospect tournament? I remember not being impressed with whoever it was, hopefully it was Peksa. Flopping all over the place on his knees it reminded me of Garret Sparks

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

The Leafs have their first, 2 thirds, 4th, 3 5ths, 6, 7 at the moment for 24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad