Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I though once they were sent back/cut, Draft Eligible players were unable to sign.. I'm not sure of an official date though. Very possible he could have signed and just wasn't announced or can't be announced for w.e. reason.
That's what I'm hoping. Signed but not announced yet.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
You can see that Malinoski will benefit greatly when he puts on some adult body mass. He's already on top of the opposition on the forecheck and will create more turnovers when he's stronger.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I though once they were sent back/cut, Draft Eligible players were unable to sign.. I'm not sure of an official date though. Very possible he could have signed and just wasn't announced or can't be announced for w.e. reason.
They have until the CHL starts I believe

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I think that's a solid hire by the Growlers. Cooke is a good guy to have teaching the youth, need some more snarl in the system, maybe he can help instill it in some along the way.
Wholheardly disagree

There are plenty of former NHLer who can bring a bit of edge without bringing in an Ahole

This guy should be no where near any organization

Reactions: The Iceman

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Wholheardly disagree

There are plenty of former NHLer who can bring a bit of edge without bringing in an Ahole

This guy should be no where near any organization

I just wonder if we'd all be saying the same if Darcy Tucker was named HC of the Growlers or Tie Domi? They both made a bunch of dirty plays but you loved having them on your team.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I just wonder if we'd all be saying the same if Darcy Tucker was named HC of the Growlers or Tie Domi? They both made a bunch of dirty plays but you loved having them on your team.

Darcy tucker was in the same league as Bobby Clarke type of player. Decent players played with edge. Even Doug Gilmour did a lot of sketchy stuff.

Tie Domi did a lot of shifty stuff but he dropped the gloves the stick up for himself. Same with Tucker. They didn't run away and hide and pretend like he didn't throw that elbow.

Cooke would deliveritely throw an elbow, knee part of his game and pretend like nothing happened. Whether you were a vet or a rookie

Cooke was just an ahole. Same league as Bryan Marchment

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Tucker and Domi were tough to play against and sometimes went over the edge.
Just like Scott Stevens and Chris Pronger.

Completely different than who Cooke was as a player. Intent to injure was part of his vocabulary.

Reactions: fahad203

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Darcy tucker was in the same league as Bobby Clarke type of player. Decent players played with edge. Even Doug Gilmour did a lot of sketchy stuff.

Tie Domi did a lot of shifty stuff but he dropped the gloves the stick up for himself. Same with Tucker. They didn't run away and hide and pretend like he didn't throw that elbow.

Cooke would deliveritely throw an elbow, knee part of his game and pretend like nothing happened. Whether you were a vet or a rookie

Plus kicking Erik Karlsson's Achilles tendon with his skate blade. Blindside heads hots as well. There wasn't much that was clean about his game

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
If that qualification works for leaders of countries and CEOs of corporations it should work fine for a hockey coach. I'm sure he cleaned up his act since then.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
If that qualification works for leaders of countries and CEOs of corporations it should work fine for a hockey coach. I'm sure he cleaned up his act since then.

I see what you are saying but that argument can be made for anyone. I am sure Paul Bernardo has learned his lessons and probably a model citizen right now. I still don't want him anywhere near my town though

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Tucker and Domi were tough to play against and sometimes went over the edge.
Just like Scott Stevens and Chris Pronger.

Completely different than who Cooke was as a player. Intent to injure was part of his vocabulary.

I mean Domi sucker punched Ulf (I hated him), elbowed Neidermayer and Tucker took out Peca's knees and aimed for the head on Sami Kapanen.

Marchment also pretty famous for knees or head shots.

I'm not saying that makes Matt Cooke absolved of the sins, just saying we all liked when they were Leafs.

I don't care too much about him being the head coach anyway, things change.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Well.. at least Cliffy will have Martin Jones to cuddle with.

Stanley Cup Champions for life.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
We finally have some top notch prospects contrary to many experts

All on elc contracts

Woll this year
Knies this year
Minten this year or next year
Cowen next year or the year after

Now we need to work on our d prospects
Some really intriguing defense prospects in this year's draft but we probably aren't keeping our pick at the deadline.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Bobby Clarke took home multiple Hart Trophies during the heart of Bobby Orr’s prime. He was probably better than a decent player.

Reactions: fahad203

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1696943335418.png

Leafs have some good Russians over in the KHL, wonder when Greb and Aky make it over?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Wild how things change in a month. Minten/Knies/Woll poised to graduate, and the pool still looks surprisingly strong.

In the CHL
Cowan - needs to build on a surprising camp and continue shutting up the naysayers. Many think he may be one of the best players in the O this year. The conversation has shifted from "can he justify the "reach"?" to "just how high is his upside?"

Lisowsky- off to a hot start, 6 goals and 9 points in 6 games. Needs to keep that up to earn an ELC, the 5'9 180 pound fire hydrant has an NHL shot

Chadwick- 4 points in 5, with bad feet, I'm not getting burned hoping on what looks like another Neilsen.

In the NCAA (our 4.5 "M's) Moldenhaur and Malinoski look like impact players as freshman, Moldenhaur with the draft and u18 pedigree, Malinoski with a very projectable frame, unique backstory, and explosive development curve. Diminutive Miller needs to be one of the very best in the NCAA and tear the Ivy League apart to be a legitimate prospect at his size. Miettinen needs to take another step and having a dominat senior year to earn an ELC. Mike Koster is incredibly intriguing, was quietly an impact D on star studded group last year, with the graduations of Faber,Lacombe, Johnson he has a chance to be the guy.

In the Marlies- I consider the likes of Robertson, Abruzzese, Steeves, Ellis, Holmberg to be NHL depth moreso than prospects at this point, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of them can be this year's Moore/Engvall/Johnsson and turn a call up into a career.

Hirvonen is coming off a disappointing camp, but I'm not going to write off a stocky, pest of defensively aware Finnish WJC captain with lots of Liiga experience. Komarov was worth waiting for, and Roni is further ahead. In a similar vein- I don't expect Tverberg to dominate the AHL this year, just build towards being a solid 15/15 high energy 3rd liner. Voit is a complete wildcard, if he produces as a rookie I dont think you can ignore top 6 upside, even at his size. I like Kressler, but he can't stay healthy so no expectations going in this year. Kokkonen was "the surprise of camp" and made a decent run at an NHL job. Steady, no nonsense d man, I'd love to see another Gunnarson emerge. Niemela had a quiet camp, but patience is called for. The kid is smooth, needs to bulk a bit and get used to NA ice. Hidelby? Big man needs to see some NA shots.

In Russia
Grebyonkin already 6 goals (9 got him KHL rookie of the year), outproducing 1st rounder teammate Yurov. I think it's time to recognize him as a legitimate prospect and not just another Russian flyer.

Ahktyamov- was given his opportunity this season with injuries and is just f***ing running with it. I was skeptical about the ELC but, well. Early crow? Yumyum.

I feel sorry for the "fans" that take the media lead and shit on our prospects without following them, missing out on a lot of good hockey players and interesting storylines.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad