Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I like following these guys, and cheering for them... but for every ten guys of these long shots, maybe one plays for us. At this stage, who even knows which one it will be... one of the Russian Kids, Voit, Lisowsky.. but it's good to see them excel at their current level.

Mine is Moldenhauer I whole heartedly believe he’s gonna be an NHLer. And I love that he’s going NCAA route as opposed to Major Junior.

If one of him, Lisowsky, the Russian forwards, Voit can hit, that would be great

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
In case anyone was curious about Artur Akhtyamov, this article is a pretty good recap on his season so far, as well as some realistic expectations and evaluation of his play (plus highlights of his 1st two KHL starts): Maple Leafs Prospect Report: Artur Akhtyamov

And from start #3:

Honest goodness everything about that highlight package looks exactly like a North American game including the uniforms, the equipment, the playing style, the stands, audience, the NHL ice dimensions, television production quality.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Toyberg as center, while tried at uconn, is not as good as toyberg at the first forward position. He hits less and you want him to score the dirty goals.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
End of pre-season prospect ranking.

1. Matthew Knies
2. Fraser Minten
3. Nikita Grebenkin
4. Easton Cowan
5. Joseph Woll
6. Topi Niemela
7. Pontus Holmberg
8. Nicholas Robertson
9. Roni Hirvonen
10. Dennis Hildeby
11. Ryan Tverberg
12. Artur Ahktyamov
13. William Villeneuve
14. Nicholas Moldenhauer
15. Alex Steeves

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Mine is Moldenhauer I whole heartedly believe he’s gonna be an NHLer. And I love that he’s going NCAA route as opposed to Major Junior.

If one of him, Lisowsky, the Russian forwards, Voit can hit, that would be great
Just curious why "you love that he's going the ncaa route instead of major junior"?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

1. Matthew Knies
2. Fraser Minten
3. Nikita Grebenkin
4. Easton Cowan
5. Joseph Woll
6. Topi Niemela
7. Pontus Holmberg
8. Nicholas Robertson
9. Roni Hirvonen
10. Dennis Hildeby
11. Ryan Tverberg
12. Artur Ahktyamov
13. William Villeneuve
14. Nicholas Moldenhauer
15. Alex Steeves
Woll is 2nd to Knies IMO. Woll is going to be a key contributor this season.
I think the Leafs desperation for a 3rd line centre has elevated Minten beyond his actual prospect status.

Reactions: Magic Man

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Just curious why "you love that he's going the ncaa route instead of major junior"?

I think the NCAA is a good route for Moldenhauer for a number of reasons, NCAA facilities are generally better than Major Junior (not always I know that). Kids have more resources available to them just because top end universities like Michigan dump tons of cash into the program. Also look at the rate at which Michigan and the Chicago Steele are producing NHL ready players in recent years.

I also like the aspect of playing older more physical guys. Also with fewer games every game matters, every game is high stakes to try and make it to the national championship. NCAA isn’t the best route for all but for Moldenhauer I think it’s the best route for him to develop physical strength and continue to challenge himself to be a consistent scorer against older competitors.

We also can hold his rights for longer than 2 years. So we can be patient with his development.

I do love watching Major Junior and think it’s a good route as well.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Woll is 2nd to Knies IMO. Woll is going to be a key contributor this season.
I think the Leafs desperation for a 3rd line centre has elevated Minten beyond his actual prospect status.
i mean have u even watched minten play this preseason..or last preseason for that matter? hes been one of the best players in camp and was impressive last year as well. rankings are subjective but the leafs need for a 3rd center has nothing to do with how high people are ranking minten, dude looks like a top 3 prospect atm.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

1. Matthew Knies
2. Fraser Minten
3. Nikita Grebenkin
4. Easton Cowan
5. Joseph Woll
6. Topi Niemela
7. Pontus Holmberg
8. Nicholas Robertson
9. Roni Hirvonen
10. Dennis Hildeby
11. Ryan Tverberg
12. Artur Ahktyamov
13. William Villeneuve
14. Nicholas Moldenhauer
15. Alex Steeves

I haven't liked anything I have seen out of Hirvonen. Small sample
Neither out of Niemala. Holmberg actually played NHL games and scored NHL goals

I would rank him higher

I think Moldenhauer is too far down the list. To me he's another sleeper

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

I would rank him higher

I think Hirvonen is further out from making an impact than those in front of him, I don't expect to see him as even a call-up option this season. He may fit better in the tier just behind him. Good prospects, but there is still some work required. He has draft pedigree and WJC success working in his favour, success in a pro league. Now he needs some AHL seasoning.

Reactions: kb and fahad203

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

I would rank him higher

Yeah I would have Moldenhauer above Villeneuve. His coach didn’t want to use him in the playoffs and that’s a red flag for me.

Reactions: fahad203

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
i mean have u even watched minten play this preseason..or last preseason for that matter? hes been one of the best players in camp and was impressive last year as well. rankings are subjective but the leafs need for a 3rd center has nothing to do with how high people are ranking minten, dude looks like a top 3 prospect atm.
Is this where I reference Denis Malgin?
Kid was a 2nd line player on his jr team last season. Nice prospect, not ready for the NHL.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Is this where I reference Denis Malgin?
Kid was a 2nd line player on his jr team last season. Nice prospect, not ready for the NHL.

Minten is probably a #1 Center on most WHL teams last year. Kamloops was stacked. They were the best team in the WHL, maybe even the CHL realistically. Only lost 13 regular season games all year in regulation. Even in a secondary role he went PPG and played in all situation. Not more you can ask for, he wasn’t gonna play more than Stankoven or Bankier

Reactions: Super Mega

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Relative to our below average draft capital we are pretty loaded in terms of forward prospects. And I think our goalie pipeline is looking promising as well.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Relative to our below average draft capital we are pretty loaded in terms of forward prospects. And I think our goalie pipeline is looking promising as well.
Goaltending looks very good, Defence looks average, Centers look average but Minten looks pretty damn good, RWs look average and our LW look very good. I'm sure a few of those LWs will play RW at some point since we seem so stacked on that side which would make both wingers pretty damn good in the future. Just need to stockpile some NHL caliber C and D and I think the future looks very good.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Goaltending looks very good, Defence looks average, Centers look average but Minten looks pretty damn good, RWs look average and our LW look very good. I'm sure a few of those LWs will play RW at some point since we seem so stacked on that side which would make both wingers pretty damn good in the future. Just need to stockpile some NHL caliber C and D and I think the future looks very good.

That's about the only thing Babcock was right on, grab defense and centres. Some inevitably end up at wing anyway but they're so crucial.

I think Minten does end up back in the WHL and #1C minutes coupled with a WJC experience could be great for development, waiting the extra year for a more polished Knies was worth it, Minten will be better for it too.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
That's about the only thing Babcock was right on, grab defense and centres. Some inevitably end up at wing anyway but they're so crucial.

I think Minten does end up back in the WHL and #1C minutes coupled with a WJC experience could be great for development, waiting the extra year for a more polished Knies was worth it, Minten will be better for it too.

Knies was 3rd wheel on his line though, he was practicing the role he’s going to play in the NHL. Minten is never going to be an all-situations 1C here, I don’t really care how many wristers he wires home on the PP nearly as much as him getting bigger faster and learning how to create space against 6’3 220 pound D with 1/5th the time to think at speed.

Reactions: Taylor Halls Teeth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad