Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
D-men and goalies are so hard to project... even at this stage. Unless someone is truly elite, those positions could hit, or miss, well into the 20's. Look no further than Tim Thomas or Belfour, neither were drafted... nor were Giordano, Boyle, Cujo, Rafalsky. Even Jared Spurgeon was a 6th round pick, and never signed by the NYI.

Does that mean I think that they will be a starter, or top pairing... nah, it means I really have no idea at this point, if they will make the NHL, be lower tier, or more... I mean they aren't very predictable.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
D-men and goalies are so hard to project... even at this stage. Unless someone is truly elite, those positions could hit, or miss, well into the 20's. Look no further than Tim Thomas or Belfour, neither were drafted... nor were Giordano, Boyle, Cujo, Rafalsky. Even Jared Spurgeon was a 6th round pick, and never signed by the NYI.

Does that mean I think that they will be a starter, or top pairing... nah, it means I really have no idea at this point, if they will make the NHL, be lower tier, or more... I mean they aren't very predictable.
Agreed, and that's why taking a goalie in most drafts makes sense, because you want to get a bunch of lottery tickets hoping one comes through for you.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
He reminds me exactly like Hyman at that same point in their development. Hyman obviously developed well beyond that grinder/energy roll into a one of the better power forwards in the game. Something that I don't think anyone really expected. But that has to be the model Tverberg needs to follow.
While what Hyman turned into is a bestbestbest case scenario, it's somewhat important to note that Tverberg is currently well ahead of where Hyman was at this point, and has developed much quicker post draft. Their U20 and U21 NCAA seasons aren't comparable, and Tverberg is coming out of school 2 years earlier/younger.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a Moore like development curve with a fairly slow (statistically) AHL start that sees some people write him off, then boom in that U24/U25 timerange

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
When he’s playing his game, toyberg has more snarl than hyman. Toyberg won’t win as many board battles though. His production from his d+1 to d+3 is more impressive when considering toyberg doesn’t play with elite linemates. He was only on the same pp with wood, but not the same line ES.

Reactions: acrobaticgoalie

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Is Grebenkin getting less ice time this year? Seems like his production has slowed down.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Is Grebenkin getting less ice time this year? Seems like his production has slowed down.
According to the KHL site he is. He's not playing on the same team that gave him almost 17 mins a game and 2 mins of PP time a game also. Went back to the team that would barely play him last season but at least they are giving him about 12 mins TOI per game compared to the 2 mins last season. He's also getting some shorthanded time as well. He's tied for the team lead with goals atm so maybe he'll earn more ice time as the season goes on.

Reactions: LeafChief

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
According to the KHL site he is. He's not playing on the same team that gave him almost 17 mins a game and 2 mins of PP time a game also. Went back to the team that would barely play him last season but at least they are giving him about 12 mins TOI per game compared to the 2 mins last season. He's also getting some shorthanded time as well. He's tied for the team lead with goals atm so maybe he'll earn more ice time as the season goes on.

The KHL seems to be both the worst league for young players to develop in (unless they're a legit Tarasenko calibre prospect), and the hardest league to extract your players from to put into the AHL.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It's still early days but the trio of picks in Knies, Minten and Cowen are trending extremely well and especially considering they were all late first round or later selections.

Minten is better than I had anticipated and definitely plays a pro style game with sneaky offense that should really transfer from junior.

Last edited:

Pholus

May 23, 2014
It looks like Akhtyamov got some game action in Kazan's last game. He stopped both shots he faced in just under 2 mins TOI at the end of the game. I couldn't find any information on why he was put in, but hopefully he'll get an opportunity to actually play moving forward.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How has Dillingham been looking?

He was pretty average at best during rookie camp. He's not going to play in NHL pre-season other than practice.

I suspect he'll start with the Growlers when the season starts but we'll see.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It's still early days but the trio of picks in Knies, Minten and Cowen are trending extremely well and especially considering they were all late first round or later selections.

Minten is better than I had anticipated and definitely plays a pro style game with sneaky offense that should really transfer from junior.

Leafs have been lacking in centre depth in the prospect pool for awhile so I'm really pulling for Minten becoming a quality top 9 centre.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
It looks like Akhtyamov got some game action in Kazan's last game. He stopped both shots he faced in just under 2 mins TOI at the end of the game. I couldn't find any information on why he was put in, but hopefully he'll get an opportunity to actually play moving forward.
As a follow-up, Kazan is heading out on a 2-game road trip with Akhtyamov as the only goalie KHL experience:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

There are programs around the league that consistently produce quality defensemen and to a lesser degree goalies. Like anything else they just have a better eye for scouting, prioritize the position on draft day, make mistakes like everyone else but find a gem once in a while and have the minor league development to nurture it along its prospects.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Leafs have been lacking in centre depth in the prospect pool for awhile so I'm really pulling for Minten becoming a quality top 9 centre.

Minten with another pretty good game tonight.

His speed has been good, he's making smart plays with the puck, taking the body when necessary and his overall hockey sense looks very good.

Very encouraged by his play in the rookie tournament and early training camp.

Reactions: LeafChief

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad