Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
AHLers hardly ever play full seasons, especially in our org, because of the existence of 3 in 3 weekends. rest days will happen, rotation days also happen, and injuries happen. why risk making a light injury worse when the marlies usually have like 10 guys they can rotate in? last year the marlies had 10 dmen with >15 games.

when i think of AHL defensemen, i think of andrew nielsen who played 74 in his rookie season and 65 in his sophomore season. the year he played 65 games was liljegren's rookie season, and he had the most games among defenseman on the team. there were 9 dmen with >25 games on the team and only four with >60. guys are going to be rotated out and given rest days, especially given our sports science team probably recommends those days off.

doesn't mean they didn't play a full AHL season, just means they didn't play in every game, and honestly it's better that they don't.

Reactions: AlienWorkShop

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well, Niemela played 58 games in Finland last year. So if he’s being acclimatized to a North American schedule, mid 60s shouldn’t be too taxing right? I think the AHL schedule is in the low to mid 70s, and they’ve played imbalanced schedules in the past.

That’s to compare and contrast Liljegren’s utilization, which I think was in the 40s over 4 separate seasons.

I guess it depends on how many years people think Niemela will be incubating for. Or have a Kaberle breakout in camp and maybe be an impact NHL defenseman off the hop…

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
there's 2 comparisons that you could use when estimating the games niemela could play next year based on last season (which isn't totally accurate since we have a new AHL coach and management has changed anyway so honestly none of this could even matter lmao):

marshall rifai played 69/72 games last year as a 24 year-old rookie
william villeneuve played 54/72 games last year as a 20-year old rookie

so yeah i'd wager something in between them

horner

May 22, 2007
Watching london knights games cowan
seems to be faster this year.
I was hoping we would get an 2nd rd pk in last year's draft. He's the exact type of player we need .
One thing I didn't understand about Dybas drafting. Except for Rbertson who has speed not many others do.
Cowan and Robertson seem to be the only prospects that get involved physically.
I think under Treliving that will change.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Watching london knights games cowan
seems to be faster this year.
I was hoping we would get an 2nd rd pk in last year's draft. He's the exact type of player we need .
One thing I didn't understand about Dybas drafting. Except for Rbertson who has speed not many others do.
Cowan and Robertson seem to be the only prospects that get involved physically.
I think under Treliving that will change.
Sandin, Tverberg, Knies, Hirvonen, Minten and Schingoethe all have varying levels of bite to their game. Even Niemela has some bite to him and I've seen him throw some big hits. He just needs to get thicker.

Reactions: kb and hockeynorth

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sandin, Tverberg, Knies, Hirvonen, Minten and Schingoethe all have varying levels of bite to their game. Even Niemela has some bite to him and I've seen him throw some big hits. He just needs to get thicker.

Is it just me, or does Hirvonen seems to have a bit of a pest personality, or at least that potential to be one of those annoying guys?

Minten seems a lot more assertive in his game and physical than in his rookie/camp debut last year.

Reactions: horner

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Is it just me, or does Hirvonen seems to have a bit of a pest personality, or at least that potential to be one of those annoying guys?

Minten seems a lot more assertive in his game and physical than in his rookie/camp debut last year.
Minten was pretty physical last camp as well if I remember correctly. He even got into a scrap.

Hirvonen has an edge to his game. He threw two really nice hits on the same shift last game.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

He does. When he played for Finland at the WJC, it seemed like every whistle he had guys punching him and shoving him like a Bunting or Komorov.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I wouldn't worry Niemela will make the NHL this season unless we have a lot freak injuries. We have a vet crew and he needs to grow and get used to the North American game. They have no need to rush him and burn a year off. He would have to beat out Klingberg.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I wouldn't worry Niemela will make the NHL this season unless we have a lot freak injuries. We have a vet crew and he needs to grow and get used to the North American game. They have no need to rush him and burn a year off. He would have to beat out Klingberg.
What do you mean by burn a year off ?? .. I'm assuming you mean burn a year off his 3 year ELC contract.

Niemela is currently 21 years old, and last year playing in Europe & Marlies already burned a year off his ELC as pro player.. Regardless if he plays for the Marlies or the Leafs he will also burn another year off his ELC.

This entry level contract "Slide Rule" only applies for players < age 20 and not playing in pro leagues. The AHL or the SEL or SM-liiga are all pro leagues.

The Slide Rule is for junior-aged prospects who were under contract for the previous season but did not suit up in ten or more games with the NHL team. As a result, their contract slides (gets extended by) an extra year with a corresponding change in their cap hit.

1695046358742.png

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Very early, but I am starting to believe our scouts when they say the reach they took (Minten/Cowan) was ranked high in their rankings.

Very impressed with them both so far.
Yes I agree. Our prospect pool may lack high end talent, but what we do seem to have is highly competitive players with a strong 2-way acumen. I think Minten and Cowan were the standouts for me this tourny, with the clear standout being Cowan. He was extremely noticeable on every shift. It just seemed like he never gave up on the puck. What came as a surprise to me was his underrated skill and patience with the puck. I was not expecting that TBH. You can tell he is a very confident player.

Minten on the other hand just seems to do all the little things right. His ceiling may not be as high as you'd maybe want from a top 40 pick, but his game is going to translate really well to the pro level. Very smart player.

When you consider the likes of Knies, Hirvonen, Tverberg and even Lisowsky you cans tart to see how competitiveness and IQ have really been the focus when drafting forwards lately.

Tverberg had a sneaky good tournament IMO. not afraid to go to the hard areas. Sneaky fast. Really liked what I saw from him as well.

All n all, we have to be happy with that showcase

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Yes I agree. Our prospect pool may lack high end talent, but what we do seem to have is highly competitive players with a strong 2-way acumen. I think Minten and Cowan were the standouts for me this tourny, with the clear standout being Cowan. He was extremely noticeable on every shift. It just seemed like he never gave up on the puck. What came as a surprise to me was his underrated skill and patience with the puck. I was not expecting that TBH. You can tell he is a very confident player.

Minten on the other hand just seems to do all the little things right. His ceiling may not be as high as you'd maybe want from a top 40 pick, but his game is going to translate really well to the pro level. Very smart player.

When you consider the likes of Knies, Hirvonen, Tverberg and even Lisowsky you cans tart to see how competitiveness and IQ have really been the focus when drafting forwards lately.

Tverberg had a sneaky good tournament IMO. not afraid to go to the hard areas. Sneaky fast. Really liked what I saw from him as well.

All n all, we have to be happy with that showcase

Tverberg did have a strong tournament and has been very underrated which I guess makes sense considering he was taken in the 7th round then played in the NCAA.

He works hard, Has speed, decent enough hands and goes to the difficult areas alot.

When I watch him play, he almost looks like a smaller Hyman with his workrate and playstyle.

Should be able to carve out a NHL career as a energy role player or if best case happens he could be effective on a skilled line doing alot of the smaller things.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Tverberg did have a strong tournament and has been very underrated which I guess makes sense considering he was taken in the 7th round then played in the NCAA.

He works hard, Has speed, decent enough hands and goes to the difficult areas alot.

When I watch him play, he almost looks like a smaller Hyman with his workrate and playstyle.

Should be able to carve out a NHL career as a energy role player or if best case happens he could be effective on a skilled line doing alot of the smaller things.
He reminds me exactly like Hyman at that same point in their development. Hyman obviously developed well beyond that grinder/energy roll into a one of the better power forwards in the game. Something that I don't think anyone really expected. But that has to be the model Tverberg needs to follow.

I love his motor, and I love his willingness to play in the hard areas of the ice. Guys like that are hard to find nowadays. He will have a bright future if he can continue to develop that skillset.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017

i always think hyman when i see his clips

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015

If he's got a good work ethic, I could see him becoming even a top 6 forward. I remember watching him when he first got drafted and being impressed. The kid could be a good player.

Reactions: kb and weems

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I don’t think there takes are wild. In their opinion leafs have a few top 6 forward potential. He thinks Topi will he a bottom
Pair dman which is fine it’s his opinion. I think he has top 4 but not going to drag someone for thinking he’s only bottom pair. He thinks hiddelby is a back up goalie which isn’t crazy to think either. What did you find funny?

Reactions: horner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad