Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'm not sure Niemela makes it this year so our defense needs some work. We have some interesting forwards and nice goalie prospects. Defense takes years to learn and not sure any of them are more than a 6th dman at best. Our defense isn't young and we will need 3 guys by next season.Gio and Brodie need replacing. Those are big shoes.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'm not sure Niemela makes it this year so our defense needs some work. We have some interesting forwards and nice goalie prospects. Defense takes years to learn and not sure any of them are more than a 6th dman at best. Our defense isn't young and we will need 3 guys by next season.Gio and Brodie need replacing. Those are big shoes.
I haven't seen anyone suggest anything remotely close to Niemela making the Leafs this year.

He will be playing his first pro year in North America this year. He'll be an AHL rookie.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Didn't Robertson lead the NHL (Leafs for sure) in preseason scoring before sufferingthat season ending shoulder surgery? Not much more you can do to prove you belong IMO. Same type of play as Knies got injured on too, before people bring up the size/readiness factor.

Yes, Robertson lead the NHL.. was tied for the lead, with seven points in pre-season.

Second on the Leafs was Denis Malgin...

Pre-Season scoring is rather meaningless.

Robertson also put up only 5 points in 15 games in the regular season, and only shot at 7%... he's got a bit of figuring out to do here still. I really like the kid, and think he'll be a player... but he's missed some time... he's waiver eligible, and there isn't any harm in overcooking a player.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

You've buried Brodie far too soon. Gio, sure.. but that's not the biggest deal at this point. Klingberg is probably a one and done... but we'll see. Timmins played extremely well in his limited time, and Lily should take another step forward. We will need to fill three, maybe even four spots for next year... we shall see, but then I'm sure many will rejoice in that happening. Of course, trades may happen during the year, that change all of this.

Maybe one of our prospects is ready next year, but I'd be surprised to see much out of any of them at the NHL level this year... just too young, or not enough North American experience.

Reactions: aingefan

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
My apologies if this has already been asked/answered.

I read that the Red Wings will be streaming all of their Traverse City games on their website. Are other teams doing this as well? I believe the Leafs play CBJ today. Will there be a stream for this?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
My apologies if this has already been asked/answered.

I read that the Red Wings will be streaming all of their Traverse City games on their website. Are other teams doing this as well? I believe the Leafs play CBJ today. Will there be a stream for this?
Streams
Thursday, 9/14
3:30 PM ET – TOR v CBJ: PT - TOR v CBJ - 091423
6:30 PM ET – DAL v DET: PT - DAL v DET - 091423
Friday, 9/15
6:30 PM ET – TOR v DAL: PT - TOR v DAL - 091523
Saturday, 9/16
3:30 PM ET – CBJ v DET: PT - CBJ v DET - 091623
Sunday, 9/17
11:00 AM ET – DAL v CBJ: PT - DAL v CBJ - 091723
2:00 PM ET – DET v TOR: PT - DET v TOR - 091723

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Yes, Robertson lead the NHL.. was tied for the lead, with seven points in pre-season.

Second on the Leafs was Denis Malgin...

Pre-Season scoring is rather meaningless.

Robertson also put up only 5 points in 15 games in the regular season, and only shot at 7%... he's got a bit of figuring out to do here still. I really like the kid, and think he'll be a player... but he's missed some time... he's waiver eligible, and there isn't any harm in overcooking a player.
Hey may have shot 7% but I know he hit at least 3-4 posts . He had some good looks , he just needs to burry them.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Robby was clearly good enough to make the team out of camp last season. He was a victim to the numbers game. That was all coming off of a season ending injury.

Robertson puts himself into terrible situations. Even on his most recent injury, as blatant of a penalty as it was, Nick was no where near anticipating any contact during that exchange. It's a huge problem. Call it soft, but Nick needs to limit that type of action in and around the boards. And when he inevitably has to engage, be the aggressor, not the victim.

You see it all the time with Matthews. He is so strategic on when he decides to go into contact and when to lay up. This is all about preservation. So many times you will see Matthews allow the defender to take the puck instead of engaging in a physical battle. He knows he can just strip it right back off their tape.

For Nick it has always been less is more in all aspects of his game. Sure it's nice to see him engaged physically, but he won't survive playing that way. He chases the game far too much instead of letting the game come to him. The skillset is 100% NHL quality, it is all about adapting at this point.

I've always admired Nick's work ethic and willingness to compete, but he actually might be overdoing it in both of those qualities. Keep it simple, and he is an NHL regular.

Reactions: LeafChief and weems

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver

If you look at this example of Nick Roberston on his first goal of last season, you can see just how unaware Nick can be going into contact. Jamie Benn could have ended his season on that very play at the boards right before the goal. Nick isn't even looking. He's staring at the puck, hunched over in a terribly vulnerable position and he is very lucky that Jamie pulled up. Even the slightest nudge could have resulted in serious injury.

This has been a constant for Nick his entire pro career. It needs to change or he will be forced out of the game by 25.

Needless to say, this is a big year for Nick. NHL quality unquestionably. Can he protect himself and can he let the game come to him instead of trying to force the play? Those are the 2 question marks that still remain. I suspect his most recent injury will not be a factor from a physical standpoint, but that may just be me being naïve

Reactions: rdogg

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Robby was clearly good enough to make the team out of camp last season. He was a victim to the numbers game. That was all coming off of a season ending injury.

Robertson puts himself into terrible situations. Even on his most recent injury, as blatant of a penalty as it was, Nick was no where near anticipating any contact during that exchange. It's a huge problem. Call it soft, but Nick needs to limit that type of action in and around the boards. And when he inevitably has to engage, be the aggressor, not the victim.

You see it all the time with Matthews. He is so strategic on when he decides to go into contact and when to lay up. This is all about preservation. So many times you will see Matthews allow the defender to take the puck instead of engaging in a physical battle. He knows he can just strip it right back off their tape.

For Nick it has always been less is more in all aspects of his game. Sure it's nice to see him engaged physically, but he won't survive playing that way. He chases the game far too much instead of letting the game come to him. The skillset is 100% NHL quality, it is all about adapting at this point.

I've always admired Nick's work ethic and willingness to compete, but he actually might be overdoing it in both of those qualities. Keep it simple, and he is an NHL regular.

Good point and it's funny because that reckless physicality is something we could certainly use more often from the rest of the lineup and even our star players but with Robertson, he need's to be careful because he's a smaller player and thus more prone to getting injured.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Skate Nick on line 4 with Reaves and see if that gives him some extra room.
Throw him on PP2 and you have a very useful 4th line candidate for 2023.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Niemela and Tverberg with goals. Apparently Minten was outstanding

I watched the first 7 minutes of that game and Minten had a few nice bursts.

He looked quicker and threw a very good check along the boards in the Ozone.

You can definitely see a potentially decent player with the kid and he could possibly be someone that's skillset translates better to pro hockey than juniors, especially when he fills out and gets stronger.

If he pans out , A big, strong, 3rd line C who can win draws and score some goals is actually a very nice player to add to our team in a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad