Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Cowan looked really impressive in the game vs Dallas. All over the ice. Hounding pucks. Goal and an assist.

Minten looked quite good as well. A few very good shifts from Frasca. Makes me think they might sign him to some sort of deal. Surprised Leslie hasn't gotten into a game yet.

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Will be interesting to see Cowan take a prominent role in London and Minten in Kamloops this season.

Niemela looks smooth out there as well. I hope we just let him play a full season in the AHL in a QB type role. Out of Sandin, Dermott, Liljegren, I can't think of too many D prospects on the Marlies who really ever spent a full season uninterrupted down there.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Will be interesting to see Cowan take a prominent role in London and Minten in Kamloops this season.

Niemela looks smooth out there as well. I hope we just let him play a full season in the AHL in a QB type role. Out of Sandin, Dermott, Liljegren, I can't think of too many D prospects on the Marlies who really ever spent a full season uninterrupted down there.
Don't know why but I have Kaberle vibes from Topi.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I’m excited to see Minten in a few pre-season games. I think his game will transition pretty well into the NHL.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010

Yeah I don't know about that, without looking I'd guess Liljegren played damn near 150 games with the Marlies.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016

Timothy Liljegren played two full ahl seasons without getting a call up, and accumulated close to 150 games.
Rasmus Sandin's played a full season in the A, before his first call up where he split with the marlies/leafs.
Travis Dermott Played a full season in the A before his first call up.

I can't see Niemela being much different. He'll get at least one full season in the A

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Timothy Liljegren played two full ahl seasons without getting a call up, and accumulated close to 150 games.
Rasmus Sandin's played a full season in the A, before his first call up where he split with the marlies/leafs.
Travis Dermott Played a full season in the A before his first call up.

I can't see Niemela being much different. He'll get at least one full season in the A

No they spent time down there but none approached a full 80 games.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah I don't know about that, without looking I'd guess Liljegren played damn near 150 games with the Marlies.

Yeah over parts of 4 or so seasons. What I’m getting at is give Niemela the most reps possible this season and don’t yo-yo him up and down.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
No they spent time down there but none approached a full 80 games.
Dermott played 70 uninterrupted games in the AHL (regular season + playoffs) in his first AHL season.

In his second season, he was called up around Christmas. I'm going to assume he played at least 10 AHL games between October and December so he would have hit this 80-game mark requirement that you have set as well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Liljegren played 87 AHL games before playing an NHL game. 120 if you include AHL playoff games.

That's not what I'm saying. Play Niemela the full AHL season games and get maximum development time. Don't call him up and sit him in the press box. None of our other defensive prospects actually played a full season, but parts of many seasons or not at all.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You would think eventually the Leafs will score another player that just amazes like Kaberle.

Kaberle had decent size as he got older.

What's amazing about Kaberle's progression is he was a nothing draft pick in 1996 and had a full time NHL job in October 1998. He just came out of thin air.

• Love
Reactions: uncleben and ULF_55

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dermott played 70 uninterrupted games in the AHL (regular season + playoffs) in his first AHL season.

In his second season, he was called up around Christmas. I'm going to assume he played at least 10 AHL games between October and December so he would have hit this 80-game mark requirement that you have set as well.

In 2016-17, he played 59 regular season games in his first AHL season, which would imply he was either injured, scratched or on an NHL call up but not used for over 20 games in the regular season and well short of the idea of playing him the full season.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
In 2016-17, he played 59 regular season games in his first AHL season, which would imply he was either injured, scratched or on an NHL call up but not used for over 20 games in the regular season and well short of the idea of playing him the full season.

Injuries are out of anyone's control. It's not something that can be planned for. Your suggestion was for the team to play the player for a full season. They've done that on numerous occasions as outlined above.

Moving the goalposts while being arrogantly incorrect is the reason we've lost so many good posters on this forum.

Reactions: AlienWorkShop

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
What's amazing about Kaberle's progression is he was a nothing draft pick in 1996 and had a full time NHL job in October 1998. He just came out of thin air.

Based on some of the posts you read here Kaberle shouldn't have been given the opportunity to play in the NHL because he hadn't earned it.

It would have been nice if Pilar hadn't suffered his heart issues, I thought he looked good when he had his opportunities. Was it Karel said he found NHL easier to play in because it was more structured?

Reactions: aingefan

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Based on some of the posts you read here Kaberle shouldn't have been given the opportunity to play in the NHL because he hadn't earned it.

It would have been nice if Pilar hadn't suffered his heart issues, I thought he looked good when he had his opportunities. Was it Karel said he found NHL easier to play in because it was more structured?

When you say "based on some of the posts you read here", don't you mean Stephen's posts? He's just filled a page talking about how players shouldn't progress the way Kaberle did.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Injuries are out of anyone's control. It's not something that can be planned for. Your suggestion was for the team to play the player for a full season. They've done that on numerous occasions as outlined above.

Moving the goalposts while being arrogantly incorrect is the reason we've lost so many good posters on this forum.

If we're going to have have an intense Saturday morning nitpick session I'll just summarize my thoughts on Topi Niemela in one shot avoid more of this back and forth with you.

I hope Top Niemela will be left alone to play a full regular season in the AHL with the Toronto Marlies in the 2023-24 season. I am encouraged by his style of play and hope he can get as many North American reps in as possible to maximize his development time this season. I hope we are not going to prematurely call him up, try to get a sneak peek which will take away from his development time.

None of Dermott, Sandin or Liljegren have ever played a full regular season in the AHL beginning to end, don't quote career AHL games totals since that obviously doesn't apply.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
If we're going to have have an intense Saturday morning nitpick session I'll just summarize my thoughts on Topi Niemela in one shot avoid more of this back and forth with you.

I hope Top Niemela will be left alone to play a full regular season in the AHL with the Toronto Marlies in the 2023-24 season. I am encouraged by his style of play and hope he can get as many North American reps in as possible to maximize his development time this season. I hope we are not going to prematurely call him up, try to get a sneak peek which will take away from his development time.

None of Dermott, Sandin or Liljegren have ever played a full regular season in the AHL beginning to end, don't quote career AHL games totals since that obviously doesn't apply.

I didn't quote AHL games totals. The years I quoted were prior to NHL call-ups.

[MOD]

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When you say "based on some of the posts you read here", don't you mean Stephen's posts? He's just filled a page talking about how players shouldn't progress the way Kaberle did.

Hey, if Topi Niemela comes to main camp and is head and shoulders better than any other offensive defenseman like Kaberle was in 1998, I'm happy to stick Klingberg in the minors for a full AHL season...

If we're going to promote Niemela to the NHL a la the Dubas method, stick him on PP1 and realize he's not ready, I'd avoid that path.

Reactions: 3headeddragon

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
They tend not to play anyone in every game during those "3 games in 3 days" AHL weekends...

Reactions: LeafChief

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad