Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If even one of them can become an impactful NHLer, it will be worth it.

@SeaOfBlue - how do you imagine the Marlies lines/pairings shaking out at this point?

Even if one or a couple become useful AHLers, it will be worth it. Help the Marlies, and our other prospects develop. Having competitive ECHL and AHL teams, going deep into the playoffs helps all of our prospects learn. If one of them becomes even a marginal NHLer, that's just a bonus.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
If even one of them can become an impactful NHLer, it will be worth it.

@SeaOfBlue - how do you imagine the Marlies lines/pairings shaking out at this point?
Not him, and don't have exact lines, but I'd imagine the rosters are roughly as such:

MARLIES
F(17)
Two of Robertson/Holmberg/McMann, Abruzzese, Blandisi, Clifford, Ellis, Gambrell, Hirvonen, Kressler, Mastrosimone, O'Brien, Ovchinnikov, Shaw, Slavin, Steeves, Tverberg, Voit
*any first year player on an ELC or AHL deal could platoon between Marlies and Growlers

D (8)
Farrance, Kokkonen, Lagesson, Lajoie, Miller, Niemela, Rifai, Villeneuve

G (4)
Hildeby, Peksa, Petruzzelli, Jones
*Hildedy/Peksa go up and down

GROWLERS
F (9)
Berezowski, Caufield, Cruikshank, Shea, Singleton, Skirving, Solow, Suthers, Weiss

D (4)
Dillingham, Hellickson, Pietroniro, Tychonick

G (2)
Cavallin, McKay

I'd say F and G could be pretty well set given that there are usually 9-10 forwards playing for Newfoundland on any given night (26 forwards between rosters) and there will be six goalies below the NHL level. They'll still need 3 or 4 D though to fill out the depth chart better - probably 9 in the AHL and 7 in the ECHL at all times.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Marlies have been doing very well with "prospect" acquisitions this offseason.
(Tychonick, Cruikshank, Caufield, Shea, Singleton, Weiss, Mastrosimone, O'Brien; Berezowski, Dillingham; Slavin, Farrance)

Might be some growing pains this next year as they're definitely taking a shotgun-development approach as opposed to stacking the team with vets, but hopefully at least one of them turns into an NHL ELC.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Marlies have been doing very well with "prospect" acquisitions this offseason.
(Tychonick, Cruikshank, Caufield, Shea, Singleton, Weiss, Mastrosimone, O'Brien; Berezowski, Dillingham; Slavin, Farrance)

Might be some growing pains this next year as they're definitely taking a shotgun-development approach as opposed to stacking the team with vets, but hopefully at least one of them turns into an NHL ELC.
honestly I think I'd prefer this method. It's kind of going to be a baptism by fire for these kids. but at the end of the day, Let the kids play and see what they got. Of course you need to surround them with a couple seasoned pro's like Blandisi and Shaw, but I'd much rather see young kids get the playing time over guys like Adam Guadette or Marc Johnstone. Nothing against those 2 guys, I just feel like their time has come and gone TBH

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
A lot to be excited about this year prospect watching, rather than ranking- some groupings

CHL
Cowan- does continue his meteoric rise and cement himself as one of the OHL's best?
Minten- does he emerge from the shadow of his workmanlike role and show some major offensive potential?
Lisowsky- does he take the next step and emerge as a star sniper in the dub?

NCAA
Moldenhauer- tore up USHL, if he's a freshman impact player at Michigan he quickly becomes a legitimate top-6 prospect worthy of league wide recognition
Miller-tiny, old for a sophomore, but very impressive (if late) freshman year. Can he take another step and be an NCAA star? if so he becomes worthy of watching
Malinoski- Diamond in the rough or wasted AJHL flyer? Can't wait to see how he translates

Europe
Grebyonkin- do we have another Kulemin charging through the ranks? A big year at Metallurg could say maybe

Marlies rookies
Niemela- relatively quiet Liiga year compared to his historic U20, but still top 10 in goals by a defenseman. Great AHL transition at end of year. Is he AHL top pair on day 1?
Voit- shredded the OHL. If he can produce in the A he gains credibility
Kressler- pro style game, can he do it against men?
Hirvonen, ditto, but on small ice?

Marlies returns
Abruzzese- strong year, strong NHL showing, does he emerge as too good for the A and force his way to the Leafs
Villeneuve- quietly impressive rookie year. Maybe surprises with a longer stay in camp?
Add Tverberg, Hildeby, Peksa(?) And ovchinnikov to the Marlies list. The Marlies will be interesting to watch this year

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Is it possible that Marshall Rifai could establish himself as first callup from the Marlies on D in case of injuries with a strong training camp? There's only 6 Dmen under contract in the organization right now outside of the main 7 on the NHL roster: Rifai, Lajoie, Lagesson, Kokkonen, Niemela (R) and Villeneuve (R).

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The Boston Bruins were reportedly interested in signing Jay O’Brien.

Boston Hockey Now reported that the Bruins might have selected O’Brien at No. 30 in 2018, had he been available.

“They liked him a lot,” an NHL amateur scout told Boston Hockey Now on Sunday. “Obviously, easy to say now, but I think a lot of people were stunned he wasn’t there when the Bruins picked, or even early in the second round.”

O’Brien, a forward, was selected five picks after the Flyers drafted Joel Farabee. When O’Brien was chosen, he was the 32nd-ranked North American skater by NHL Central Scouting.

The Flyers chose not to sign O’Brien after he completed his fourth NCAA season earlier this year. The Flyers will receive a second-round pick as compensation in the 2024 draft.

AHL Player?

O’Brien played three seasons at Boston University, after playing his freshman season at Providence. The Terriers advanced to the Frozen Four this past season. O’Brien played 39 games and scored eight goals and 24 assists (32 points).

In 104 college games, O’Brien scored 28 goals and 47 assists (65 points).

Another scout wasn’t all that excited about O’Brien.

“Just an average player for me,” the second scout told Boston Hockey Now on Sunday. “Not skilled enough for me to drive the skill bus and not heavy enough or big/strong enough to be the fourth-line type I’d like to have.”

The second scout suggested that O’Brien could play in the NHL “but right now is an AHL player to me.”

Reactions: LeafSteel

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Just reading Mastrosimone's elite scouting. Are we looking at another Joey Anderson type of player? Lots of motor but not a lot of finish?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Remember the Milkman?

So in order to live in Toronto what odd jobs do the current Marlies have?

Niemela, $80k a year in Toronto ... (we'll exclude his signing bonus for now) what kind of jobs do the Marlies have in the off season?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Remember the Milkman?

Niemela, $80k a year in Toronto ... (we'll exclude his signing bonus for now) what kind of jobs do the Marlies have in the off season?

At the facilities, meals etc are provided, so they may save on groceries a bit :)

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Remember the Milkman?

Claire Alexander...better than playing Puckdoku :)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Was wondering if MLSE would have "jobs" they could do which wouldn't violate any Salary Cap rules?

I'd think any double dipping and receiving different salaries from the organization for different things could be viewed and grieved by other teams.

Reactions: uncleben

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Remember the Milkman?

Maybe there’s a Marlies dormitory somewhere in the GTA. Save on rent etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad