Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
It's nice to look at what a player does well and you aren't wrong, but it doesn't tell the full story. You have to ask yourself why a player with NHL size, an NHL caliber shot, NHL caliber skating, NHL caliber defensive awareness and a high compete level doesn't stand out as an NHL player against junior level competition. He certainly seems like he should dominate as a man against boys, and yet he doesn't. So what happens when he goes up against men?

For everything he does well, there should one day be an NHL player in Minten. But there are serious limitations to his offensive game that you seem to just be glossing over that will hold him back from a top 9 role if he can't make meaningful improvements. He needs to improve his playmaking, creativity, puck skills, and find more ways to contribute offensively at 5v5. As it stands right now, a player with a few NHL caliber physical attributes who can play a simple north-south game but struggles with the puck on his stick is going to be best suited for a 4th line spot
I come in peace
BUT
I am not sure what you mean here, "as a man against boys"
Fraser was the 3rd line centre as an 18 year old.
Centre's 1 and 2 were 19 year olds.

He wasn't 19 or an overager. What do you mean by your comment?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I come in peace
BUT
I am not sure what you mean here, "as a man against boys"
Fraser was the 3rd line centre as an 18 year old.
Centre's 1 and 2 were 19 year olds.

He wasn't 19 or an overager. What do you mean by your comment?
I was talking more about his size advantage over many of his peers in a junior league, not his age. He's listed at 6'2 and nearly 200 pounds, which should give him an edge now that he won't have when he makes the NHL. Usually you'd hope that someone who's bigger and stronger than most of his competition would be able to dominate more than he did

Reactions: The Iceman

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
I was talking more about his size advantage over many of his peers in a junior league, not his age. He's listed at 6'2 and nearly 200 pounds, which should give him an edge now that he won't have when he makes the NHL. Usually you'd hope that someone who's bigger and stronger than most of his competition would be able to dominate more than he did
Please tell us how many times you have see minten live. The reason I ask is are you stat watching or do you have a real perspective on his usage. Maybe he is a good defensive player and he starts the majority of his time on the ice in his defensive zone. On his team what is his ice time. What older players are ahead of him on the team.

All those things make a difference. Please enlighten us how many times you have watched him live.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Please tell us how many times you have see minten live. The reason I ask is are you stat watching or do you have a real perspective on his usage. Maybe he is a good defensive player and he starts the majority of his time on the ice in his defensive zone. On his team what is his ice time. What older players are ahead of him on the team.

All those things make a difference. Please enlighten us how many times you have watched him live.

I've not watched him live in person, but I have watched a number of his games on TV... I can't recall, somewhere around 3-4 regular season games, a couple of WHL playoffs and most of the Memorial Cup games. He is a pretty good player, but he just doesn't have very high end offensive ability. He does need to work on his skating quite a bit as well, but he's young and has time. But I do think he'll be a NHL Center, and probably a 3C, which we very much could use. He wasn't used as a primary defensive player when I watched, but he is good defensively. Had his share of Ozone starts, but he just doesn't get much done with it. He certainly wasn't really given the prime offensive opportunities, nor the top wingers. He'll get that opportunity this year though, so we'll see if he can grow his game any, particularly if he has a strong offseason, working on his skating and acceleration. I'm happy to have him in the org, it's a position of need, and I think he'll contribute well to our future.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Iceman

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I've not watched him live in person, but I have watched a number of his games on TV... I can't recall, somewhere around 3-4 regular season games, a couple of WHL playoffs and most of the Memorial Cup games. He is a pretty good player, but he just doesn't have very high end offensive ability. He does need to work on his skating quite a bit as well, but he's young and has time. But I do think he'll be a NHL Center, and probably a 3C, which we very much could use. He wasn't used as a primary defensive player when I watched, but he is good defensively. Had his share of Ozone starts, but he just doesn't get much done with it. He certainly wasn't really given the prime offensive opportunities, nor the top wingers. He'll get that opportunity this year though, so we'll see if he can grow his game any, particularly if he has a strong offseason, working on his skating and acceleration. I'm happy to have him in the org, it's a position of need, and I think he'll contribute well to our future.
Next season we'll get to see what Minten can bring in a more offensive role. Playing behind a 19/20 year old and Stankoven wasn't gonna give him much easy offensive minutes like those guys since he's probably the better defensive player. Idk how good Kamloops will be next season but he'll still have Zellweger on his team possibly so that shouldn't be too bad. I think his skills show us already he can be a very good 4th line C or a good 3rd line C who can play the PK and PP. Either way this upcoming season should be fun to watch and I hope he can improve his 5v5 production now with Stankoven gone and him possibly getting that #1C spot.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Next season we'll get to see what Minten can bring in a more offensive role. Playing behind a 19/20 year old and Stankoven wasn't gonna give him much easy offensive minutes like those guys since he's probably the better defensive player. Idk how good Kamloops will be next season but he'll still have Zellweger on his team possibly so that shouldn't be too bad. I think his skills show us already he can be a very good 4th line C or a good 3rd line C who can play the PK and PP. Either way this upcoming season should be fun to watch and I hope he can improve his 5v5 production now with Stankoven gone and him possibly getting that #1C spot.
I can't see any way that Zellweger goes back to Junior hockey.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Minten i think can be our cirelli
That is an interesting idea and honestly i have thought of something similar

I watch him about a dozen times this past year and without micro analysis (which sometimesbis counterproductive) he is a very good all around player that received a lot of trust from his coaches. He reads the play and knows what to do. - he was behind offensive Cs on a team loaded to make a run - his role was perfectly fine. It is common in junior for players in mintens situation to be stuck behind the offensive guys but when they arent they suddenly start scoring themselves

Minten didnt have to push his game - he just needed to provide strong traditional 3C minutes and will be shifted into a more frontline role this year - lets wait and see what he does - i would say any criticism at this point of his offense is useless

Back to the cirelli notion - similar idea with minten is just letting him play - let the offense come but focus on what makes him strong, reading play, zone awareness and leadership. If you can just drop the sugar high for points and develop a good sound centerman the offense will take care of itself

Becoming an 85 point center this year means NOTHING for what to analyze his pro offensive projections - just focus on getting sound development

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Maybe they didn't want Russia drafting him to the military or something and tried to make the plans unclear? Pure speculation on my part because of how insane things are over there.
That must be a typo, 2 dozen bags of luggage?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For an individual, that is on the upper end.

With my line of work though, I have seen people take some surprisingly large amounts of items.
I can't imagine anyone having that much clothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad