Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Yep.. pre planning for the penny pinch
Sometimes I read comments like this on here and it's just stunning to me how little people understand of how this league operates.

Signing your 1st round pick to an ELC has nothing to do with penny pinching. Whether they signed him last week or next year, the amount of years that an ELC contract can slide does not change.

Reactions: uncleben

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Sometimes I read comments like this on here and it's just stunning to me how little people understand of how this league operates.

Signing your 1st round pick to an ELC has nothing to do with penny pinching. Whether they signed him last week or next year, the amount of years that an ELC contract can slide does not change.
Assume much.. more of a tongue in cheek comment

Pholus

May 23, 2014

Umm, but it does. ELCs can only slide 2 years at most. Signing Cowan now gives 2 years of slide, sign him next year (ie. contract starts in 24-25 season) and it would only slide once.

That said, signing 1st rd draft picks who play in the CHL immediately is extremely common and pretty sucks every team does it.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Umm, but it does. ELCs can only slide 2 years at most. Signing Cowan now gives 2 years of slide, sign him next year (ie. contract starts in 24-25 season) and it would only slide once.

That said, signing 1st rd draft picks who play in the CHL immediately is extremely common and pretty sucks every team does it.
Slides are for 18 and 19 year olds
If Cowan signed next year at 19 and played an overager year, we could still get two

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Slides are for 18 and 19 year olds
If Cowan signed next year at 19 and played an overager year, we could still get two
Yes, slides are for teenagers only (as of Sept 15 of that calendar year). But prospects who sign at 19 only get one slide if born between Jan 1 and Sept 15, and no slide if born Sept 16 - Dec 31.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It's been posted above, but here's a link in case anyone wanted it. Way too young, such a sad turn of events.

""

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Rodion was such an inspiring kid. I was so excited to track his progression as a player while he was healthy. Truly feel like he would have become a special player.

So many people, let alone members of the Maple Leafs could learn so much from this kid. His positivity throughout this process was so remarkable to witness. Really puts things into perspective

He will serve as our guardian angel for eternity.

RIP Rodion.

Your candle burned out long before your legend ever did

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
Tragic! I thought maybe the kid had turned a corner a little while ago. We seem to have bad luck with 1st and 2nd round European prospects and health issues. Karel Pillar, Luca Cereda, now Amirov. Sad to think we'll always wonder what impact he may have made.
RIP.

Reactions: arso40

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Yes, slides are for teenagers only (as of Sept 15 of that calendar year). But prospects who sign at 19 only get one slide if born between Jan 1 and Sept 15, and no slide if born Sept 16 - Dec 31.
Hmmm I thought you could still get the overage year slide, but I might be misremembering. I didn't have a chance to pull up the CBA yet

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I know he probably isn't exactly this but there's a North American rugged forward (Tkachuk bros, Gary Roberts, Shane Corson) vibe to Nikita Grebyonkin in that highlight package.

Reactions: hockeynorth

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I know he probably isn't exactly this but there's a North American rugged forward (Tkachuk bros, Gary Roberts, Shane Corson) vibe to Nikita Grebyonkin in that highlight package.
I don't get that, but saw some JVR. Slick and patient around the net.

Along with Farinacci I wouldn't mind signing Jake Wise. Really wanted him in the draft in 2018, didn't have a hot start at BU but came on strong with 2 solid years at Ohio and 3 points in 2 AHL games last year. Could use the hail mary at centre.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Hmmm I thought you could still get the overage year slide, but I might be misremembering. I didn't have a chance to pull up the CBA yet
I believe you can only get an overage slide year when the prospect is born between Sept 16 and Dec 31 AND is signed before Dec 31 of the calendar year when they are drafted at age 18.

The last time the Leafs drafted late birthdays and then had ELC slides for the overage season was in 2015. All 3 of Dermott, Timashov & Nielsen were late birthdays who signed in the months immediately following being drafted, and then had their ELCs slide a 2nd year while they were with the Marlies.

Reactions: uncleben and andora

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

If this is the guy who played on Boston University a few years ago all I remember about him from a few games I watched was he was a very good skater and good with the puck. Can't remember much about the other areas of his game. Could be a good pickup if it is the guy I'm thinking of.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
If this is the guy who played on Boston University a few years ago all I remember about him from a few games I watched was he was a very good skater and good with the puck. Can't remember much about the other areas of his game. Could be a good pickup if it is the guy I'm thinking of.
Yup,

He was very highly touted after his big NCAA season. Looked like another Nashville great D after their long line of drafted and developed defenseman.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Farrance is awesome. I bet he seems NHL games real soon.
This afternoon, the Leafs announced they had signed 24-year-old defenseman David Farrance to a two-way AHL deal. The left-shot blueliner was drafted in the third round of the 2017 draft by the Predators after spending two years in the US National Development Program.

Following his draft year, Farrance spent four seasons at Boston University where he had 43 points in 34 games and 16 points in 11 games his final two seasons before making his NHL debut with the Predators during the 2020-21 season. The past two seasons, Farrance spent playing in the AHL with the Milwaukee Admirals in the 2021-22 season before splitting time with the Chicago Wolves and Colorado Eagles last season. In his first AHL season he skated in 50 games and registered 14 points while he registered 24 points 45 games last season.

Farrance's addition continues to add to the prospect depth of the Leafs, but we shouldn't expect him in the NHL any time soon as he appears to be near the bottom of the Marlies' depth chart. Given that his contract is a two-way deal between the AHL and ECHL, he could also find himself spending some of the season with the Newfoundland Growlers.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad