Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Marlies have signed former Red Wings 2nd rounder Robert Mastrosimone to an AHL contract. He is one of those kids who had their rights expire on August 15th.

Farinacci was my first choice (signed with Bruins) but Mastrosimone had some hype to him as well at the time of his draft. If I recall correctly, he played on the US u18 team with Robertson in the summer.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Wouldn't mind trying to grab Jay O'Brien since the Flyers didn't sign him.

That would be nice - it feels like Boston will sign him too, though, he's a Mass guy, and they aren't exactly deep up the middle right now so he could have a chance to crack their lineup sooner rather than later.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

Toronto Maple Leafs rank No. 27 in NHL Pipeline Rankings for 2023-Corey Pronman​

Key addition: Easton Cowan

Key subtraction: Rasmus Sandin

2022 ranking: No. 20

2023 NHL Draft grade: C

Player Ranking

1. Matthew Knies, LW

10/17/2002 | 6-foot-2 | 210 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 57 in 2021
Tier: Top of the lineup player

Skating: Below NHL average
Puck skills: Above NHL average
Hockey sense: Below NHL average
Compete: High-end

Analysis: Knies was one of the top players in his conference and was a finalist for the Hobey Baker, continuing his upwards trajectory as a prospect. Knies is a big, highly skilled winger who plays a heavy game. He’s not going to run over people, but he creates so much offense in the high percentage areas and is a true net-front threat. That he has such great offensive creativity only helps that cause with his direct style of play. Knies isn’t the fastest and his playmaking is just okay, but he looks like a high in the lineup wing who plays a premium role in a lineup.

2. Fraser Minten, C

7/5/2004 | 6-foot-1 | 185 pounds | Shoots left

Drafted: No. 38 in 2022
Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: Below NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: NHL average
Shot: Above NHL average

Analysis: Minten had a good season playing a big role on a top WHL team. Minten is a well-rounded center. He has good skill and vision. He makes a lot of plays, while also being a shot threat from range. He has some physicality and is solid defensively. His skating is the only real flaw in his game and I wouldn’t call him dynamic overall. He projects as a bottom-six center in the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

NHL Pipeline Rankings 2023: Breakdown of all 32 teams from Corey Pronman​

Corey Pronman of The Athletic posted his NHL Pipeline Rankings and it should come as no surprise that the Toronto Maple Leafs found themselves in the lower-third of the league. Pronman has them ranked 27th ahead of only the Edmonton Oilers, Pittsburgh Penguins, New York Islanders, Tampa Bay Lightning, and Boston Bruins.

The common theme with the bottom of the ranking is that most - if not all - are Stanley Cup contenders and have been for quite some time. Trading picks, especially first rounders at the trade deadline, is the name of the game if you're serious about contending.

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
There is zero chance Minten is a better prospect than Niemela right now. That is lunacy.
I would even throw Cowan ahead of Minten to be honest. Minten doesn’t project to be more than a 3C at best, probably a 4C if we’re being real. I think it’s important to have guys like this, and I don’t hate the pick now or when we made it, but I’ve seen more dynamic play/offensive potential from Cowan’s game. For that reason I would rank Cowboy ahead and I’d say it’s a toss up between Greb and Mints for the next spot. Depends how you “rank” prospects though, it’s all subjective. But yeah definitely agree with you, Pronmans out to lunch!

Reactions: Maplebeasts

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's ridiculous to infer that his career potential or likely outcome is as a 4th line grinder.
It's not his maximum potential, but how is it not a likely outcome? Players like him are typically too good to miss the NHL entirely, but not quite good enough to become regulars in the top 9. It's not impossible, but already an uphill battle for him. We have other u23 players who are doing better and have more upside

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
It's not his maximum potential, but how is it not a likely outcome? Players like him are typically too good to miss the NHL entirely, but not quite good enough to become regulars in the top 9. It's not impossible, but already an uphill battle for him. We have other u23 players who are doing better and have more upside
"Players like him... uphill battle... " Pure empty rhetoric. The guy's skating projects to NHL level IMO. He has an NHL level shot. He has an NHL ready build. He has a competitive streak. Defensively aware yet still an offensive player. He's not Freddie Gauthier and even so it wasn't beyond the realm of possibility that Gauthier couldn't have improved his skill level and mobility to be more than the marginal NHLer he turned out to be.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
"Players like him... uphill battle... " Pure empty rhetoric. The guy's skating projects to NHL level IMO. He has an NHL level shot. He has an NHL ready build. He has a competitive streak. Defensively aware yet still an offensive player. He's not Freddie Gauthier and even so it wasn't beyond the realm of possibility that Gauthier couldn't have improved his skill level and mobility to be more than the marginal NHLer he turned out to be.
It's nice to look at what a player does well and you aren't wrong, but it doesn't tell the full story. You have to ask yourself why a player with NHL size, an NHL caliber shot, NHL caliber skating, NHL caliber defensive awareness and a high compete level doesn't stand out as an NHL player against junior level competition. He certainly seems like he should dominate as a man against boys, and yet he doesn't. So what happens when he goes up against men?

For everything he does well, there should one day be an NHL player in Minten. But there are serious limitations to his offensive game that you seem to just be glossing over that will hold him back from a top 9 role if he can't make meaningful improvements. He needs to improve his playmaking, creativity, puck skills, and find more ways to contribute offensively at 5v5. As it stands right now, a player with a few NHL caliber physical attributes who can play a simple north-south game but struggles with the puck on his stick is going to be best suited for a 4th line spot

Reactions: Cap'n Flavour

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Any insights about what is the issue with this player? His last two years at Boston U were Hobey Baker finalist level. Also his teammate at Boston U was Jay O'Brien.
I can't say that I've watched Farrance since he went pro. From the times I watched him in college, great skater and very smart.

I was very big on him during his draft year but I'd be lying if I said I followed him at all since he left NCAA.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I see there is some back and forth on Minten. Wasn't he blocked by other C's which might be a reason for only good production and not great?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I see there is some back and forth on Minten. Wasn't he blocked by other C's which might be a reason for only good production and not great?
He was on a pretty stacked team last year (which included 19 year old centres in Stankoven and Bankier who played on Canada's WJC team). Realistically he should be leaned on a lot more this year.

If his numbers don't spike, it will probably be very telling regarding his potential. If his numbers do spike, we might have something there.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Would Minten be expected to play in the WJHC this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad