Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I can't imagine anyone having that much clothing.

If it's cargo, it could be more than that.

Over the weekend I swear to god, a guy was listing off every item he owned in life. If this kid is thinking he's moving and trying to set up a new life, he could have taken a lot of his worldly possessions, so it goes beyond clothes. Could be a computer, playstation etc in there too.

Reactions: Roadhog and ACC1224

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You might see some of the lower end guys get loaned out to other AHL/ECHL teams...

You're right

I think Jones and Hildeby or Peksa will likely be the platoon in the AHL unless an injury occurs.

Loser of training camp battle between Hildeby and Peksa is the AHL starter.

Petruzelli had a lot of promise 1-2 years ago but think he had a rough last half last season and now organization is looking at the younger guys.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
You're right

I think Jones and Hildeby or Peksa will likely be the platoon in the AHL unless an injury occurs.

Loser of training camp battle between Hildeby and Peksa is the AHL starter.

Petruzelli had a lot of promise 1-2 years ago but think he had a rough last half last season and now organization is looking at the younger guys.
Not Jones?

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Next season we'll get to see what Minten can bring in a more offensive role. Playing behind a 19/20 year old and Stankoven wasn't gonna give him much easy offensive minutes like those guys since he's probably the better defensive player. Idk how good Kamloops will be next season but he'll still have Zellweger on his team possibly so that shouldn't be too bad. I think his skills show us already he can be a very good 4th line C or a good 3rd line C who can play the PK and PP. Either way this upcoming season should be fun to watch and I hope he can improve his 5v5 production now with Stankoven gone and him possibly getting that #1C spot.
Zellweger won't be back. Minten will be the 1st line center until he gets traded for picks to get back draft capital. His shot is pretty lethal.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
A little cheer up for those down in the dumps about our prospects

Pontus Holmberg: 2018- 30, 2019- NR, 2020- 20, 2021-12
Joe Woll: 2018 - 10, 2019- 7, 2020-14, 2021 - 26
Pierre Engvall - 2018- 9, 2019 - 13, 2020 -NHL
Trevor Moore - 2018 - 18, 2019 - 5, 2020 - NHL
Mason Marchment 2018- 20, 2019-16, 2020-trade, 2021 NHL

Listed are their respective rankings from this board's annual prospect polling.

Each of these guys had their champions, but none were universally highly regarded until they were surprisingly knocking on the door of NHL careers. I trust our scouting group, and don't doubt that that we'll see similar emergences from deeper in the pool over the next couple of years

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I wonder if peksa makes more money playing for the echl/ahl than playing for the khl or does the khl pay players in usd?
I'm pretty sure they would pay in Russian rubles (assuming the team can actually pay the players as stipulated in their contract, which is not a given).

I wonder if the Leafs just weren't able to get a loan agreement together. There aren't very many KHL teams that haven't figured out their goaltending by now, with only 3 teams (or 4 depending on what CSKA does with Ivan Fedotov) that look like Peksa would have had a good chance to win playing time at (ie. not having to beat out an established KHL goalie). I wonder if the Leafs were trying to send Peksa to Togliatti, since that team only had 2 VHL-level goalies on their roster up until they 'bought' a KHL-level guy on Tuesday. I think that could still be a good team for a loan; if Peksa can't beat out a 28-year old with no KHL experience and a 27-year old who seems to be KHL replacement-level, that doesn't bode well for an NHL future.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
A little cheer up for those down in the dumps about our prospects

Pontus Holmberg: 2018- 30, 2019- NR, 2020- 20, 2021-12
Joe Woll: 2018 - 10, 2019- 7, 2020-14, 2021 - 26
Pierre Engvall - 2018- 9, 2019 - 13, 2020 -NHL
Trevor Moore - 2018 - 18, 2019 - 5, 2020 - NHL
Mason Marchment 2018- 20, 2019-16, 2020-trade, 2021 NHL

Listed are their respective rankings from this board's annual prospect polling.

Each of these guys had their champions, but none were universally highly regarded until they were surprisingly knocking on the door of NHL careers. I trust our scouting group, and don't doubt that that we'll see similar emergences from deeper in the pool over the next couple of years

Holmberg is potentially a very important player for us next season.

As our roster currently stands, I really don't like the projected lines where Kampf is the 3rd line C.

He's a very good defensive forward that plays alot of unfavorable minutes but not someone that will create much offense.

If Holmberg hits and you can play him in that 3LC role, you could have the makings of a good line something like Domi/Knies - Holmberg - Jarnkrok which then allows Kampf to play in his proper spot.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If Holmberg hits and you can play him in that 3LC role, you could have the makings of a good line something like Domi/Knies - Holmberg - Jarnkrok which then allows Kampf to play in his proper spot.
Knies-Holmberg-Nylander
Matty likes playing with Jarncrok, give them Domi as a distributor off the left, let/make Nylander drive a line

Reactions: LeafParade

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Knies-Holmberg-Nylander
Matty likes playing with Jarncrok, give them Domi as a distributor off the left, let/make Nylander drive a line

Redristribution and balancing out our forward lines could be a interesting and possibly winning strategy.

Might upset one of the big names but at this point they should all be on board with doing whatever is best for team success.

If Holmberg doesn't workout our depth at C gets worrisome pretty quickly.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
A lot to be excited about this year prospect watching, rather than ranking- some groupings

CHL
Cowan- does continue his meteoric rise and cement himself as one of the OHL's best?
Minten- does he emerge from the shadow of his workmanlike role and show some major offensive potential?
Lisowsky- does he take the next step and emerge as a star sniper in the dub?

NCAA
Moldenhauer- tore up USHL, if he's a freshman impact player at Michigan he quickly becomes a legitimate top-6 prospect worthy of league wide recognition
Miller-tiny, old for a sophomore, but very impressive (if late) freshman year. Can he take another step and be an NCAA star? if so he becomes worthy of watching
Malinoski- Diamond in the rough or wasted AJHL flyer? Can't wait to see how he translates

Europe
Grebyonkin- do we have another Kulemin charging through the ranks? A big year at Metallurg could say maybe

Marlies rookies
Niemela- relatively quiet Liiga year compared to his historic U20, but still top 10 in goals by a defenseman. Great AHL transition at end of year. Is he AHL top pair on day 1?
Voit- shredded the OHL. If he can produce in the A he gains credibility
Kressler- pro style game, can he do it against men?
Hirvonen, ditto, but on small ice?

Marlies returns
Abruzzese- strong year, strong NHL showing, does he emerge as too good for the A and force his way to the Leafs
Villeneuve- quietly impressive rookie year. Maybe surprises with a longer stay in camp?

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Knies-Holmberg-Nylander

I've had these lines since all the signings were done:

Domi-Matthews-Jarncrok
-> Domi acts as the playmaker & we already know the other 2 work together

Bertuzzi-Tavares-Marners
-> Bertuzzi takes the Bunting role & we already know the other 2 have chemistry

Knies-Holmberg-Nylander
-> Nylander gets his own line and a winger that can get up and down the ice. Holmberg just has to take care of the defensive end to allow Nylander to thrive. Hell, Nylander had no problem scoring when centered by Kampf.

I think these 3 lines will work.

Kampf/Reaves/and someone else can play the 4th line that would barely play at even strength. Kampf essentially a penalty killer.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Redristribution and balancing out our forward lines could be a interesting and possibly winning strategy.

Might upset one of the big names but at this point they should all be on board with doing whatever is best for team success.

If Holmberg doesn't workout our depth at C gets worrisome pretty quickly.

Domi took 950 faceoffs last year, won 53.7%, and primarily played as a C. I'm not sure why we as fans, aren't pencilling him in as a 3C, in some of these mock lineups.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Domi took 950 faceoffs last year, won 53.7%, and primarily played as a C. I'm not sure why we as fans, aren't pencilling him in as a 3C, in some of these mock lineups.

Yep Domi could possibly work as that option, I was just under the impression he was more effective at W and most projected lineups I've seen didn't have him playing C.

For me whatever helps us balance out our forward talent more, I'm all for.

Interesting but was reading a thread on the main board titled "What's the next NHL trend" and one of the first responses was to evenly balance your offensive talent over the stacking approach and it generated a ton of likes.

Screenshot (1132).png

Last edited:

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
My take on that is winning faceoffs are great. being a black hole on defense not so much.

I heard Treliving in the intro presser say we signed Domi to play wing. i am sure it was suggested he will get a spot to start the year in the top 6 to get him to sign here.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

anyone got any insight on this kid? former 19th OA pick in the 2018 draft. Decent college numbers. Seems like a complete W from my perspective. Albeit I admittingly know nothing about him other than what I see on HockeyDB

I know nothing about his game but as the old saying goes, it’s a free wallet signing so I’m all for it.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
My take on that is winning faceoffs are great. being a black hole on defense not so much.

I heard Treliving in the intro presser say we signed Domi to play wing. i am sure it was suggested he will get a spot to start the year in the top 6 to get him to sign here.

I can appreciate the black hole on D bit... yet he's someone who gives us flexibility and options. We've got quite a few players who could play at C, including Nylander, Holmberg. I think the general idea that we create lines, and they are fixed isn't reality though. We've got a number of different players, and the first twenty games should be a bit of an experiment, as to what will work here, and what won't. You play a weak defensive C, with at least one decent defensive winger, and maybe it works... or not... who knows the chemistry until you try it.

All that being said... these are the guys who played C at some point last year, or the year before. Matthews, Tavares, Kampf, Holmberg, Nylander, Domi, Lafferty, Gambrell.

I don't think our C position, is one of concern.

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Very weird development path for him.

After looking into it a bit further, it looks like O'brien was a bit of a reach at 19OA in 2018. Vintage Hextall thinking he knows better than all. Most people had him pegged in the 2nd round. Nonetheless, it's never a bad thing to add guys like this to our system. There is literally no risk associated to this type of acquisition. I suspect he has some flaws to his game for the flyers to just let him walk. Hopefully we can give him the right environment to accelerate his development and get it back on track.

I think his year in the BCHL was related to him wanting to transfer to BU from Providence, although I am not 100% on that.

Either way, seems like a good pickup. I love these AHL deals. We don't need to burn a SPC, but we also get the inside track on the player if they ever develop into anything worthy of an ELC. It's as if we own their rights without actually owning them. We will always have the edge on signing them in the future should it come to that. Plus the player gets to see what being a maple leaf is all about. I can all but guarantee the Marlies players are treated almost as good as some NHL franchises save for the flying chartered. Every amenity and support he could think of will be at his disposal. I genuinely think the Marlies are best in class when it comes to that. it is likely why we seem to acquire these guys with regularity.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
O'Brien was a reach of a 1st rounder even at the time.

With that said, I thought someone would give him an ELC. Very cool to see the Marlies add O'Brien and Mastrosimone on AHL contracts. Would be excellent if even one of them could play their way into an ELC at some point. Will help to make up for the lack of recent picks.

Both had some pretty decent hype as recently as the last 2 years.

Reactions: hockeynorth

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Putting together quite the non-elc FA recruiting class

Mastrosimone - 01, 2019 54th overall
O'Brien -99, 2018 19th overall
Weiss - 00, 2018 109th overall

Tychonick - 00, 2018 48th overall
Farrance - 99, 2017 92nd overall

Could be a whole lot of nothing. Could be a major boost to our prospect depth that we're flexing $$ to shotgun the approach without burning contract slots up front.
One 1st, 2 2nds, a 3rd and a 4th

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada

Could be a whole lot of nothing. Could be a major boost to our prospect depth that we're flexing $$ to shotgun the approach without burning contract slots up front.
There's some stuff to like with these guys but I think attaching those picks to their names almost does them a disservice. For example O'Brien having that 19th overall tag may give some people the wrong idea about him, there's a reason he's an AHL contract. Again, there's stuff to like, but expectations need to be low.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
The Jets org just formed an ECHL affiliation with Norfolk, so they'll no longer be sending Moose players to the Growlers.

Unless another org steps in, that's more spots for the Leafs org to fill with free wallet prospects

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

If even one of them can become an impactful NHLer, it will be worth it.

@SeaOfBlue - how do you imagine the Marlies lines/pairings shaking out at this point?

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad