Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
What's the plan with Dmitry Ovchinnikov is he coming over full time with the marlies?

Peksa is also not listed on Elite Prospect with any russian team, makes me wonder if he's coming over as well.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What's the plan with Dmitry Ovchinnikov is he coming over full time with the marlies?

Peksa is also not listed on Elite Prospect with any russian team, makes me wonder if he's coming over as well.

Ovchinnikov is already over.

I don't think anything official has been said about Peksa, but it does appear as though he will be over as well.

""

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Which forwards kill the most penalties for the marlies? Do Holmberg & McMann kill penalties?

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I am fairly high on Grebyonkin. He seems to be the whole package, and I would be surprised if he isn't a top 9 forward on the Leafs in 2 years. I suspect he will be in the AHL next year, and then make the jump to the NHL the following year. I think lots of people are sleeping on him based on the prospect rankings I see circulating. Even when I see Leaf Prospect rankings in isolation, he is ranked too low.
This kid is still an U20 age he's a beauty

Reactions: LeafChief

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
Grebyonkin got 5 minutes of ice time today for Magnitogorsk.

Hopefully someone can get a viewing of him soon, I was hoping he would get a larger role this year. Is he really not deserving of a top 9 role on this team?

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
Grebyonkin got 5 minutes of ice time today for Magnitogorsk.

Hopefully someone can get a viewing of him soon, I was hoping he would get a larger role this year. Is he really not deserving of a top 9 role on this team?
?

Reactions: LeafChief

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Toronto Maple Leafs rank No. 27 in NHL Pipeline Rankings

What do you get when you put a bunch of executives with the "smartest guy in the room" attitude all together under the same roof?

The Toronto Maple Leafs brain trust.

One of the cornerstones of Studs'n'Duds is developing internal replacement players. Guys that can play in the NHL while still on ELC's. This way the team can upgrade the roster while remaining cap compliant.

But that only works if the prospects are actually good.

These geniuses decided it was a smart idea to trade all their best picks and prospects away. In repeated failed attempt to win it all now. Last year's TDL debacle witnessed them piss away almost two full years of draft picks.

And the only thing they won was another humiliating playoffs collapse.

The best part is that we get to watch this screwball of a fandango all unfold. An elephant in bikini with painted toenails and tiny umbrella crossing a highwire. This is some Homer Simpson level shit happening.

Another master class in asset management, Toronto Maple Leafs style.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Would you prefer the team did nothing heading into last years trade deadline?
That is when you know you have a deadbeat GM.

Improvements were needed and an enjoyable few weeks of playoff hockey followed.

And history shows they also traded for a 1st round pick.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

And a physical top 4 dman at a cap hit of 2m for this year, and a physical 4th line forward still under contract.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

What do you get when you put a bunch of executives with the "smartest guy in the room" attitude all together under the same roof?

One of the cornerstones of Studs'n'Duds is developing internal replacement players. Guys that can play in the NHL while still on ELC's. This way the team can upgrade the roster while remaining cap compliant.

These geniuses decided it was a smart idea to trade all their best picks and prospects away. In repeated failed attempt to win it all now. Last year's TDL debacle witnessed them piss away almost two full years of draft picks.

The best part is that we get to watch this screwball of a fandango all unfold. An elephant in bikini with painted toenails and tiny umbrella crossing a highwire. This is some Homer Simpson level shit happening.

Yes. the Toronto Maple Leafs are the first competitor to every trade away their picks and prospects and empty the cupboard. And drafting at the end of the rounds? Losers.

"Toronto Maple Leafs style"? Come on.
Welcome to the NHL.
Do you want to stockpile prospects for eternity or try and be competitive?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023

Yes. the Toronto Maple Leafs are the first competitor to every trade away their picks and prospects and empty the cupboard. And drafting at the end of the rounds? Losers.

Welcome to the NHL.

I actually want them to be going all in too.

I don't mind them keeping their UFA's or trading picks/prospects. What I have a problem with is them trading two full years worth of draft picks for a bunch of cruddy bottom of the roster guys. If hockey is a strong link game they should be getting the best players available every year regardless of cost.

Not some bottom of the roster fodder that barely plays and doesn't make a difference.

Most of their "own rentals" were also inconsequential players. Those guys could have been traded for picks. Then those picks flipped for more star power at the deadline.

Even mortgaging the future to win now, a concept as old as hockey itself, Dubas couldn't get right

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I am fairly high on Grebyonkin. He seems to be the whole package, and I would be surprised if he isn't a top 9 forward on the Leafs in 2 years. I suspect he will be in the AHL next year, and then make the jump to the NHL the following year. I think lots of people are sleeping on him based on the prospect rankings I see circulating. Even when I see Leaf Prospect rankings in isolation, he is ranked too low.

What is his upside, something like a Mikheyev, Kulemin, Nichushkin, Gurianov?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Welcome to the NHL.

Think our pipeline could have looked very different if we didn’t make some of the extra little tweak trades like Rittich over the years, and if poor Rodion hadn’t gotten sick. RIP.

I hope they go and sign some college freebies to try and fill the gaps in the future.

Reactions: uncleben

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

I don't mind them keeping their UFA's or trading picks/prospects. What I have a problem with is them trading two full years worth of draft picks for a bunch of cruddy bottom of the roster guys. If hockey is a strong link game they should be getting the best players available every year regardless of cost.

Not some bottom of the roster fodder that barely plays and doesn't make a difference.

Most of their "own rentals" were also inconsequential players. Those guys could have been traded for picks. Then those picks flipped for more star power at the deadline.

Even mortgaging the future to win now, a concept as old as hockey itself, Dubas couldn't get right

So you want them to be sellers and buyers at the deadline?

Interesting.

Also, we'd probably have had to give up fewer picks if Lou could have hit on anything outside of the top 5.

Right now we finally have some ELCs/cheap contracts coming in.

Robertson, Knies, and Holmberg will all likely play this year.

Steeves/McMann/Abruzzese have a shot.

Niemela is close, but not this year.

Brought in Timmins.

There are more too.

We have young players who can play, which we didn't have before, it is refreshing.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You get a bad "pipeline" list that seems to includes NHL players up to slightly younger than our top players.
These geniuses decided it was a smart idea to trade all their best picks and prospects away.
Actually, we kept all our best prospects, and drafted in the 1st round this year. And some of those players we traded for came with term.

Reactions: kerk and uncleben

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

O'Reilly was top available centre
Schenn and Accarri played well in the playoffs
McCabe at 50% retained was solid.

Any other players we traded for were throw ins with other trades. Gus and LAFF

And what own rentals would you have liked to have traded and gotten anything of consequence for?
Kerfoot @ $3.5 had a negative trade value
Bunting...not going to trade your top 6 winger

Not sure what your plan would have been to improve the teams playoff chances???

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

These posts are pure comedy.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

For those keeping score at home.

Leafs gave up a 3rd round pick in 2023 for Schenn.
Leafs got a 3rd in 2024 for Engvall
Leafs got a 1st in 2023 + Gus for Sandin
Leafs gave up a 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, two go nowhere prospects, for McCabe, Lafferty + 5th in 2024
Leafs gave up 2023 1st round pick, 3rd round, 2024 2nd round for RoR.

So contrary to the above claim, NONE of the best prospects were moved... I mean, Dryden Hunt, Abramov, Gogolev, Anderson....

The NET "TWO FULL YEARS OF DRAFT PICS"
1st in 2025, 2nd in 24', 26', 3rd in 2023. ... no NOT two full years... or even close.

But, those pics really are for McCabe and Lafferty.. McCabe for two years at $2 mil, and Lafferty.

Humiliating is right, but aimed in the wrong direction.
All claims false, and dramatized

Last edited by a moderator:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
'This is a thread for discussing Marlies and Prospects.'

So to the poster who just came in and doesn't appear to understand this, reread that 100 times if necessary, and then do everyone a favour, please take your act to another thread or your home board, wherever that may be.

This is probably the best thread on the whole board, it's a shame posters come in with their 'agendas' and derail it.

Last edited:

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I will continue to say, I think he has NHL talent and I wouldn't count him out of making a return at some point to NA and playing in the NHL.

Assuming his biggest hurdle will be if he can physically mature enough.

He should have been given a fair chance to be one of our centers this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad