Prospect Info: Marlies & Prospect Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I think our prospect system is still quite deep and should produce a good number of players, but it just lacks high-end talent/top picks (obviously) - ranking in the 20's seems reasonable.

I've noticed most of our guys are good players on their teams at whatever level they're at and at least trend towards signing an ELC and playing Pro hockey in most cases. The scouting and Dev staff are still doing a good job despite fewer Top 60 picks and a lower pick quantity than many other organizations. There's also a couple solid quasi-prospects on AHL deals that I'd rate as legit prospects if they were on ELC's instead.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He should have been given a fair chance to be one of our centers this year

He’s not close to ready to be a NHL player yet. It really is best to let him play a few years in the KHL, gain some strength and a bit of size, learn the defensive side of the game better. He’s not someone you’d want in the bottom six at the NHL level, at least in any traditional sense of the word, and he’s not good enough for a top six, or even modified top nine model.

Maybe in time, we shall see, but still fun pulling for him.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
We did that with our top 4 forwards and now half the board won't stop complaining about not having enough space for role players

There's honestly no winning

Thanks for the response.

You nailed it. Except I think you are bit misguided. The cap space can be spent on role players, or it can be spent on more star power, or it can be wasted.

The problem most fans appear to have with regards to the core four sucking up all the cap isn't what the money COULD have been spent on, it's the fact that the money isn't there anymore regardless.

It's gone.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
One week until our prospects compete in the Traverse City tournament and the Leafs haven’t announced the roster yet. I assume most of the development camp invitees will be on the roster to fill spots. Wonder if Peksa will be playing. Hopefully the tournament is televised. Looking forward to seeing how our newest draft picks look.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Noah Chadwick looks like he’s doing well early this preseason intra-squad games …

Maple Leafs Promising Young Prospect Debuts With Massive Night

Interesting article.... some errors in it though.

Others like Roni Hirvonen, Nikita Grebyonkin, and Topi Niemela continue to develop. They are likely the next three up that could see playing time with the Leafs. Hirvonen and Grebyonkin of course would need to come over to North America for that to be a reality.

Hirvonen is over, and expected to play for the Marlies this year...

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Interesting article.... some errors in it though.

Others like Roni Hirvonen, Nikita Grebyonkin, and Topi Niemela continue to develop. They are likely the next three up that could see playing time with the Leafs. Hirvonen and Grebyonkin of course would need to come over to North America for that to be a reality.

Hirvonen is over, and expected to play for the Marlies this year...
Is Hirvonen healthy and ready for day one of training camp after that concussion?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That won't be an easy prospects game for our boys.

""

Some nice wheels on him there... that's a goal that likely doesn't go in against a NHL goalie, but good effort. Two goals is a good game for him. Two points in three games now... something to build upon.

I did think that the goal probably doesn't happen against an NHL goalie as well but man, it does kinda happen and we all just say "oh, that he would want that back" etc

As he gets stronger etc and plays more minutes, he will improve.

That prospect game is gonna be a blood bath lol.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Is Hirvonen healthy and ready for day one of training camp after that concussion?

That was two months ago now... you'd certainly think he'd be fine by now... but we will find out for sure. Nothing official yet. But my point was, he wasn't expected to be in Europe this year, but in North America.

Reactions: supermann_98

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
One week until our prospects compete in the Traverse City tournament and the Leafs haven’t announced the roster yet. I assume most of the development camp invitees will be on the roster to fill spots. Wonder if Peksa will be playing. Hopefully the tournament is televised. Looking forward to seeing how our newest draft picks look.
Probably going to have a weaker roster than DET or CBJ so far, but the challenge will be good. They usually bring 15-16F, 8D, and 3G.

My best guess for players attending is:
F (12, 13 with Ellis):
Berezowski, Cowan, Ellis*, Hirvonen, Kressler, Lisowsky, Mastrosimone, Minten, O'Brien, Ovchinnikov, Tverberg, Voit, Weiss

D (4, 6 with Kokkonen and Villeneuve)
Chadwick, Dillingham, Kokkonen*, Niemela, Tychonick, Villeneuve*

G (3)
Cavallin, Hildeby, Peksa

It would leave room for as many as 4 invites on F and on D. The Dev Camp invites on forward dont excite me a ton as additions to the roster, but I'd bring Spencer Sova and Pier-Olivier Roy back as two of the invites on D

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Probably going to have a weaker roster than DET or CBJ so far, but the challenge will be good. They usually bring 15-16F, 8D, and 3G.

My best guess for players attending is:
F (12, 13 with Ellis):
Berezowski, Cowan, Ellis*, Hirvonen, Kressler, Lisowsky, Mastrosimone, Minten, O'Brien, Ovchinnikov, Tverberg, Voit, Weiss

D (4, 6 with Kokkonen and Villeneuve)
Chadwick, Dillingham, Kokkonen*, Niemela, Tychonick, Villeneuve*

G (3)
Cavallin, Hildeby, Peksa

It would leave room for as many as 4 invites on F and on D. The Dev Camp invites on forward dont excite me a ton as additions to the roster, but I'd bring Spencer Sova and Pier-Olivier Roy back as two of the invites on D
Mazden Leslie got an invite

Reactions: kb and Duke16

horner

May 22, 2007
The London Knight play there 1st preseason game Saturday at 4pm .
Cowen will be in the lineup and the game should be on rogers cable 13 london.
Usually preseason home games are all there top guys. Then of to nhl camp's.

Reactions: kb

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
What are the chances we sign Koster it seems like we are going to lose him to college UFA no? Or too early to tell
i want to say i like the odds of him signing, especially if he has a big season this year, but we have a new GM so i have no idea lmaoo

Reactions: francis246

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Hard to say where the Leafs prospect pool ranks. Losing Amirov was a serious blow and then no picks in 2025. I guessing they get ranked 22nd in the NHL right now.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
Grebyonkin's definitely our under-the-radar (outside of these forums!), wildcard prospect. My (remote, stat-watching) view was he found an ideal loan at Amur, getting top-6 icetime on a generally poor team. Often seems to be a struggle for young Russians to get such opportunities.

This year, if he manages to hold on to regular ice-time at Metallurg... could be exciting. He is turning 21 next year, so I hope ELC discussions start soon.

Only 3 games in, but he's getting 13:05 TOI/G and 19.7 shifts/game so far, including 1:38 on the powerplay. Last year, he got 2:12 TOI/G and 3.6 shifts/game in his 8 Metallurg games (ha) vs 16:39 and 19.5 with Amur.

Side note: SDA off to a hot start back in the KHL with 2 G 2 A in 3 games. Probably fair to write him off, but could be interesting if he has a huge KHL year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad