Mark Stone: People want to see the Golden Knights crash and burn

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Doesn't matter to me. They did what they did without breaking the rules.

Actually, common sense tells us that they probably broke the rules but they didn't get caught, which is a completely different story.

And no matter what you say, you cannot convince me that year after year soo many players (not only on VGK) are too injured to play on the last day of the season but suddenly healthy the next day. It is statistically impossible for them to sync their recovery time soo perfectly. And if some of those players were ready to come back just few days earlier, their teams broke the rules but got away with it.

And when on one team it happens two years in a row with the same player, somethings is fishy. Really fishy.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Aww. The poor maligned trust fund babies are all sad that folks are annoyed with them about Daddy having bought them yet another new car. How horrible.

Experience real hardship for once in y'all's g-ddamned lives and then we'll talk about unfair persecution. Until then, shut the f*** up and take it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There is still bitterness against them for the way they benefitted from the expansion draft, though you can argue that that is more the GM's at the time fault(looking at you, Chuck Fletcher).

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Nothing was against the long term frontloaded contracts in the CBA , yet some teams were penalized with cap recapture.

Also, if I understand right, a year ago the league send an e-mail to teams making it clear that they are not allowed to do what Vegas did with Hertl. Yet, Vegas got a pass.

It seems like when it comes to doing something which is not explicitely prohibited, but against the "spirit" of the CBA, all teams are equal but some are more equal than others.

At the end of the day, the argument that something is not explicitely prohibited by the CBA implicitely admits that maybe it should be. But you are correct, it is technically allowed and the GM's will push this further and further until it will not be allowed anymore.
Vegas was allowed to acquire Hertl because they had the cap space to have Hertl on the roster with his full cap hit. That’s why they got the 17% retention. With Hertl they had 289k of cap space available.

The NHL sent a memo saying you can’t acquire a LTIR player IF YOU CANT fit him into your cap compliant roster

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
How many times does this smooth brained take need to be regurgitated?

Nothing VGK has done is prohibited by the CBA.
They aren’t cheating as such but they are absolutely using loopholes to their benefit. Their use of LTIR (and others) is at times outside the intent of the CBA and any fundamental sporting principle. Yes, I know it’s a business first but I still don’t like it. Let’s be clear, I blamed the NHL and NHLPA primarily for this as a refusal/unwillingness to close the loopholes is nonsensical at this point.

The stuff with dumping players I’m mixed on, because players happily walk to FA when it suits them. So teams should be able to move players whenever they choose, it’s part of the game. If they are such bad employers we will see UFA’s not go there and see them on players’ no trade list, when they have movement clauses.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
There is still bitterness against them for the way they benefitted from the expansion draft, though you can argue that that is more the GM's at the time fault(looking at you, Chuck Fletcher).

Vegas just did a really good job and conversely the other teams botched it. But that roster was the laughing stock of HFboards... until they weren't. It was not like they were gifted some "awesome on paper" roster, for example Karlsson had a career high of 25 points before Vegas and Haula 34 points... and I believe they were the top6 centers for most of the year. Almost everyone was ridiculing that roster, then ofc Karlsson went on to score 43+35=78 and Haula had 29+26=55 ... And that's the only time Haula has scored more than 20g or 50 points, it was a career year for Karlsson as well.

I always disliked the way other fan bases turned that into some "Vegas was gifted" story when most of their initial success was the outcasts of other teams coming together for a collective career year. They've turned into a pretty dislikeable franchise since then though :D

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Non-Vegas fans don't care to see the team win. More news at 10 when we meet a kid from Montreal that says he would rather watch paint dry than see Austin Matthews hoist a cup.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Vegas is a fascinating team to me. They're well run and know their advantages compared to most teams. Everyone player in the league lines up to play there. If we had access to every ntc/nmc in the league I'd be a bit surprised to see Vegas on any of them.

They treat their players well and expect them to reciprocate and perform. If they don't, see you later.. we'll find someone else.

I will be very interested to see the timelines of Vegas and Tampa when the eventual rebuilds come. My suspicion is they will have fast rebuilds/re-tools before becoming playoff relevant again. I think access to player base is SEVERELY underrated amongst the media and fans. They'll lose some appeal for sure as players want to be on winners. But I think they'll have a much easier time bouncing back with their sunny location, airports, and tax situations.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Trying to manufacture "it's us against the world guys" emotion.

Overall, not enough people truly care about Vegas for them to be some sort of league wide villain. Get in line Mark -- many teams have legitimately earned the "everyone hates us" mantel. Stay in your lane and wait your turn.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Knight laid the ground work for using LTIR when they played their last game and announced 12 players played injured

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
True but people always hated Vegas and were praying on their downfall, long before Stone
Because it has nothing to do with the LTIR business (which I endorse BTW).

It's because they waltzed into the league and were immediately successful while most fanbases have been suffering for decades.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

They benefited int he sense that it was the first ever expansion draft of the cap era. So they rent stuck with literal garbage like Columbus, Nashville, Tampa etc were. But a good part of their success with that was because they had McPhee running the team and hes a seasoned executive.

Seattle didn't do as well because 1) GMs were angry how bad they looked after Vegas' success and 2) Ron Francis didn't have a whole lot of experience (yes he wasn't a rookie, but he paled in comparison to GMGM)

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Stone, shockingly showing a complete lack of self-awareness while also patting himself on the back. "People wanna see us fail because we're so good and no other reason."

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I always disliked the way other fan bases turned that into some "Vegas was gifted" story when most of their initial success was the outcasts of other teams coming together for a collective career year. They've turned into a pretty dislikeable franchise since then though :D
They were gifted a golden opportunity because teams were already hamstrung by previous NMC handed out which meant they had to be protected unless they voluntarily waived (like Anaheim and Bieksa), and because bottom feeders who had stockpiled a fair amount of young talent were immediately forced to give one up (like Columbus not wanting to lose Josh Anderson).I also don't know why so many Vegas fans take such offense to the idea that they were given a boatload of advantages. Vegas fans get angry when you call them the league's darlings at the time. Well yeah, you're gonna be the league darlings if you pay over a half billion dollars to them.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't think fans had any problems with the Golden Knights until they started using the LTIR loophole the last few seasons and won a Cup.
I don't like how they treat some of their players to get them out the door too, there is absolutely no loyalty from that team. I hate it, but it helps us to remember that these teams are like every other employer - they only care about the bottom line when it comes down to it.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I rooted against them well before the LTI shenanigans started. They were the glaring example that the NHL was willing to grease the wheels of an expansion team's ability to contend for a Cup if they were willing to pay the outrageous toll.

f*** the Knights.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
hopefully Pebble only has a chip on his shoulder, and not a chip on his spleen, cause we all know how that will go

Reactions: AvroArrow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad