Speculation: Maple Leafs linked to Brian Elliott

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Elliott 22 GP 0.891 (Tampa) $900k
Halak 25 GP 0.903 (NYR) $1.5 mil
Greiss 21 GP 0.896 (STL) $1.25 + .25 for 20 games started...
Jones 48 GP 0.886 (SEA) $2 mil

Honestly, there isn't much difference in these choices... minor, but not huge. Elliott as a third G made substantially less than the other three listed, and might just be more willing to be a third goalie at this point. It takes two parties to come to an agreement, and the others might believe they have more in the tank than as a 3rd string goalie... especially Jones and his prior $2 mil contract and 48 games.

Yep. The UFA list isn't a shopping list. They have to accept a deal that gets offered. Plus Jones or Halak would probably get claimed on waivers. Elliott is a guy that could clear.

It's a depth move for a replacement level guy. I hope it happens.

Reactions: Fogelhund

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The Blues won more regular season games than any team in the NHL during the Elliott years and he was outstanding, pushing an NHL record for save percentage in his debut season. In the playoffs against a champion caliber roster in LA 2013, he put up .919 (just as Binnington did during his Cup run) and 1.90 GAA but this wasn't good enough for the walrus coach.

I know he performed less well for other teams. That's actually less important though!

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Elliott 22 GP 0.891 (Tampa) $900k
Halak 25 GP 0.903 (NYR) $1.5 mil
Greiss 21 GP 0.896 (STL) $1.25 + .25 for 20 games started...
Jones 48 GP 0.886 (SEA) $2 mil

Honestly, there isn't much difference in these choices... minor, but not huge. Elliott as a third G made substantially less than the other three listed, and might just be more willing to be a third goalie at this point. It takes two parties to come to an agreement, and the others might believe they have more in the tank than as a 3rd string goalie... especially Jones and his prior $2 mil contract and 48 games.

I'd imagine being from Newmarket he would be willing to play on the Marlies to wrap up his career and be closer to home. Something that the other guys likely aren't interested in.

Reactions: banks and Fogelhund

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
I really, really don't like samsonov but to compare him to Elliott is such a laughably bad take.

I know it's fun to say "lol leafs" and they do deserve it most of the time, but not on this. Save the dunking on them for the inevitable early playoff exit, overpaying Matthews again, or when Elliott actually suits up in a game.
Not dunking on them at all, just pointing out that they weren’t scared off by raw numbers last offseason

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I feel like Woll earned him self a real shot to backup this year, unless this means chats arent going well with Samsonov and they dont expect him back next year and we run Elliott/Woll
yikes

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
This guys in his 30s

#FacesOfMethHockey

brian-elliott-2023-55.jpg
Laughs in Brett Connoly

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Maple Leafs Linked To Brian Elliott

1st paragraph reads as:
The remaining unrestricted free agent market for goaltenders isn’t exactly the deepest with the options mostly being veteran backups or third-stringers. But it appears at least one netminder has a potential suitor as Larry Brooks of the New York Post suggests that Brian Elliott could be on his way to Toronto.

"Listen guys, we have a goaltending problem, But don't worry, I am going to get us out of this mess. There is this guy, who used to be pretty decent, although not spectacular, and he will come here and play net for us! Now I need everyone to get excited and on board with this, OK! Let's GO LEAFS!"

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
"Listen guys, we have a goaltending problem, But don't worry, I am going to get us out of this mess. There is this guy, who used to be pretty decent, although not spectacular, and he will come here and play net for us! Now I need everyone to get excited and on board with this, OK! Let's GO LEAFS!"
Are you quoting Brooks?

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I can tell you as a Flames fan that no name triggers me more in the last 10 years than Brian Elliott.

I don't think there's been a bigger playoff collapse. Team played great in that series with one exception. With merely average goaltending we easily win games 2 and 3, and him instantly giving up a softie in 4 took all the energy out of the team.

If we have a goalie playing lights out we probably sweep the Ducks and not the other way around.

Either way, it's tough to fathom someone like Treliving who lived through it also not having PTSD and considering Elliott as an option

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I can tell you as a Flames fan that no name triggers me more in the last 10 years than Brian Elliott.

I don't think there's been a bigger playoff collapse. Team played great in that series with one exception. With merely average goaltending we easily win games 2 and 3, and him instantly giving up a softie in 4 took all the energy out of the team.

If we have a goalie playing lights out we probably sweep the Ducks and not the other way around.

Either way, it's tough to fathom someone like Treliving who lived through it also not having PTSD and considering Elliott as an option

Noting, this is for #3G, not a roster spot. Someone who can be stashed in the AHL, pass through waivers, and then recalled if necessary. Looking at the list, there isn't much better there, that would accept a deal to be the #3G, and minimum NHL contract. Leafs don't have anyone in the AHL with any NHL experience. Looking at the list above, who is better, who would accept a league min contract, to mostly play in the AHL?

Reactions: LeafalCrusader

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad