Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
giphy.gif

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Goalie depth is important. If Murray is moved/bought out, then the Leafs will have a dearth of NHL experience between the pipes.

Elliott wasn't an NHL quality goalie last season. But he was a strong platoon guy for over a decade, and was a competent backup before last year. Why would anyone complain about a team signing this guy for depth purposes? Every team has a goalie injury at some point in the season. And it's not unheard of for the #3 to get a stretch of starts.

If you had to pick a 3rd string goalie to start 3 or 4 games for your team, would you pick Elliott or Petruzzelli? I know my pick.

What other UFA goalie can handle an NHL start but will be OK getting waived? I don't see a ton of options.

Reactions: PainForShane

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
We’ve lost (or are going to lose) two goalies from our depth chart. Samsonov got pretty beat up last season. Woll was healthy but he’s struggled with injuries in his development (knock on wood). We need some bodies.

I just hope Treliving doesn’t think this is anything more than a depth signing. Woll is not going to get through waivers.

Reactions: banks

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
You’d think Treliving would have learned his lesson about Elliott after dealing for him in Calgary…

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
As long as he's okay with playing for the Marlies it makes sense.

We've got 4 goalies signed outside of Woll/Sammy, and of those 4 they've combined for 0 NHL games and 32 AHL games. It's needed.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Signing Elliott as a 3rd goaltender to a minimum deal isn’t crazy. I‘d wonder more about the dynamics of having seven goaltenders under contract after Murray is removed from the picture?
I am assuming that the seven goaltenders do not include the two Russian goalies, who the Leafs have already said will be playing in Russia this season.

Seven goalies seem like the right number. Keep in mind the Leafs need goalies for the NHL team, the Marlies and the Growlers. With even one injury, the Leafs would be left with the bare minimum of two goalies per team.

I am curious about the legalities of signing Elliott and waiving him so that this salary does not count against the cap, but keeping him with the NHL team as a practice goalie? Is this allowed, or do NHL rules forbid this?

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
I mean, I can see the need for an experienced #3 goalie but there has to be a better option.
It is a fine line to walk between signing the best option and having someone who can clear waivers. Remember Aaron Dell? Curtis McElhinney? Calvin Pickard? All great choices as third string goalies, except they all got claimed by other teams.

I am curious who you suggest as a better option?

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
As long as he's okay with playing for the Marlies it makes sense.

We've got 4 goalies signed outside of Woll/Sammy, and of those 4 they've combined for 0 NHL games and 32 AHL games. It's needed.

If he signs, he knows he is battling Woll for the back up spot.

He and his agent should know what they are signing up for. I dont think there are any backup spots available right now. Every team looks pretty set for a starter and a backup right now.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It is a fine line to walk between signing the best option and having someone who can clear waivers. Remember Aaron Dell? Curtis McElhinney? Calvin Pickard? All great choices as third string goalies, except they all got claimed by other teams.

I am curious who you suggest as a better option?

Well Jaro Halak Thomas Greiss and Martin Jones are all UFA.

I've always liked Jaro Halak

Reactions: BlueSeal

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Well Jaro Halak Thomas Greiss and Martin Jones are all UFA.

I've always liked Jaro Halak

Elliott 22 GP 0.891 (Tampa) $900k
Halak 25 GP 0.903 (NYR) $1.5 mil
Greiss 21 GP 0.896 (STL) $1.25 + .25 for 20 games started...
Jones 48 GP 0.886 (SEA) $2 mil

Honestly, there isn't much difference in these choices... minor, but not huge. Elliott as a third G made substantially less than the other three listed, and might just be more willing to be a third goalie at this point. It takes two parties to come to an agreement, and the others might believe they have more in the tank than as a 3rd string goalie... especially Jones and his prior $2 mil contract and 48 games.

Reactions: banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad