Management Thread | Regular Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Burke, despite his achilles heel being goalies, did make some really shrewd moves. Not the least of which was unloading Fedorov (who's best days were behind him) thus freeing up alot of cap space. Also acquired the third leg on the blueliner crew - Beauchemin. Granted, he was no Pronger or Neidermayer but those two were/are legit HHOFers. He was STILL good enough the Ducks could effectively use mainly three defensemen the entire game (with some time split I *think* divided between who else they had left on the roster.

Burke could wheel and deal -- he was still doing it in Toronto. Remember the Phaneuf trade?

(Although, yeah, that one didn't really work out, lmao.)

He was great at moving shit around, no one can really argue against that, but a lot of it didn't amount to much of anything. Again, the only time he had real sustained success was when he was more or less gifted a lineup you'd have to be...well, Jim Benning...to not screw up.

I will give him credit for Pronger, too, although Lowe didn't have many options when he made his trade request. But good grief, that was was brimming with talented players before Burkie did anything.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Burke could wheel and deal -- he was still doing it in Toronto. Remember the Phaneuf trade?

He was great at moving shit around, no one can really argue against that, but a lot of it didn't amount to much of anything. Again, the only time he had real sustained success was when he was more or less gifted a lineup you'd have to be...well, Jim Benning...to not screw up.

I will give him credit for Pronger, too, although Lowe didn't have many options when he made his trade request. But good grief, that was was brimming with talented players before Burkie did anything.

that was actually the second time burke acquired pronger. the first was when he was hartford’s GM, conning san jose into trading him the #2 pick for #6 and a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick. the sharks got viktor kozlov.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

The Sedins draft was the genius at work (but as you said he did have the assets to make it happen but he did make it happen). Jethro Bodine would trade a 40 goal scorer & 2nd round pick for a #6 defenseman. That was the 'horse whisperer' amateur drafting genius specialty.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Burke, despite his achilles heel being goalies, did make some really shrewd moves. Not the least of which was unloading Fedorov (who's best days were behind him) thus freeing up alot of cap space. Also acquired the third leg on the blueliner crew - Beauchemin. Granted, he was no Pronger or Neidermayer but those two were/are legit HHOFers. He was STILL good enough the Ducks could effectively use mainly three defensemen the entire game (with some time split I *think* divided between who else they had left on the roster.
Sean O'Donnell, Kent Huskins, Joe DiPenta. For reasons I know this.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You're either lying or are starting to suffer from early onset dementia.

I remember the photoshops, the long, long, longggggggggggggggg arguments, CDC crashing after Cloutier flubbed again, etc.

He was incredibly polarizing.
Are you talking about Cloutier defenders here? I don't seem to recall there being zealous defenders defending the beachball(s) he allowed in. Maybe I do have early onset dementia. Shit...

It's casual fan Andy logic that ignores a lot of details to point at one shining point as though it's proof of f***ing anything besides selective reasoning.

"3 30 win seasons!" ---> propped up by the highest scoring offense, with so-so underlying numbers, being injury-prone, etc. while guys like Brodeur were doing far better.

"3 Calder Finalists!" ---> by being the drizzling shits, with a GM who actively fought not to draft one of those players, and not being a complete imbecile when the obvious pick (Hughes) presented itself.

Drafting 3 Calder finalists was an impressive feat. The streak was broken with Hoglander finishing 8th. Which team was the last team (apart from the Canucks) that had 3 straight Calder finalists?

His first full season as a pro was in the AHL where he posted a losing record and unfavorable numbers.
Who cares. It was his first pro season and he was playing on a bad team. Martin Brodeur barely had a winning record and had "unfavorable numbers" in his first pro season. It wasn't unusual to put up that type of numbers on a bad team back then.

He went from posting okay numbers as a backup behind Richter to getting ventilated in Tampa. He was on his way out of the league before Marc Crawford got caught up in a bad romance with him.

Well that was a terrible team. They had only just drafted the Michael Jordan of hockey. I think he became a backup in TB when he was injured. With that said, Aucoin was criminally underrated by the Canucks. I recall the price being considered high at the time by many Canucks fans.

Yeah, once again, Burke is a horrible judge of goaltending talent. It's no coincidence his only sustained success has 2 goalies in their prime with 2 HOF defensemen in front of them (Giggy, Bryz, Niedermeyer and Pronger)

Agreed. Burke lucked out in Anaheim which is why he won a Cup. He sucks at acquiring goaltending and top 6 forwards.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Are you talking about Cloutier defenders here? I don't seem to recall there being zealous defenders defending the beachball(s) he allowed in. Maybe I do have early onset dementia. Shit...

Drafting 3 Calder finalists was an impressive feat. The streak was broken with Hoglander finishing 8th. Which team was the last team (apart from the Canucks) that had 3 straight Calder finalists?

Who cares. It was his first pro season and he was playing on a bad team. Martin Brodeur barely had a winning record and had "unfavorable numbers" in his first pro season. It wasn't unusual to put up that type of numbers on a bad team back then.

Well that was a terrible team. They had only just drafted the Michael Jordan of hockey. I think he became a backup in TB when he was injured. With that said, Aucoin was criminally underrated by the Canucks. I recall the price being considered high at the time by many Canucks fans.

Agreed. Burke lucked out in Anaheim which is why he won a Cup. He sucks at acquiring goaltending and top 6 forwards.

Is this some kind of subtle, performance art type of thing where you claim there weren't Cloutier defenders while defending Cloutier?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Not as remarkable as it seems, often the Canuck players were almost 2 years older than the others.
Boeser 18 yrs, drafted 2015 rookie season 2017-2018-Barzal
Pettersson 18, drafted 2017, rookie season 2018-2019****
Hughes 18, drafted 2018, rookie season 2019-20-Makar

In every year most their competition was younger than them

Most teams are not that bad long enough to have three.

Although Boeser was a huge miss by a lot of teams and even the scouts. He was drafted at his expected spot, the team played him a lot on the PP. He was a surprise to everyone's expectations

Like most players that get PP time their stats are much better than other players. Sort of like what is happening the last few years here. Pettersson, Horvat, Miller, Hughes and Boeser all have half their goals/points through the PP and on good teams they may not have been gifted those spots if they had to beat out another star player. The team was featuring them.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Not as remarkable as it seems, often the Canuck players were almost 2 years older than the others.

In every year most their competition was younger than them

Most teams are not that bad long enough to have three.

Although Boeser was a huge miss by a lot of teams and even the scouts. He was drafted at his expected spot, the team played him a lot on the PP. He was a surprise to everyone's expectations

Like most players that get PP time their stats are much better than other players. Sort of like what is happening the last few years here. Pettersson, Horvat, Miller, Hughes and Boeser all have half their goals/points through the PP and on good teams they may not have been gifted those spots if they had to beat out another star player. The team was featuring them.
Good thing those three were either American or European. Our amateur scouts from those areas have often been a cut above (or higher) above our domestic scouts. Heck, Jake Milford today could scout as well as them and he passed away along time ago.

Reactions: theguardianII

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Is this some kind of subtle, performance art type of thing where you claim there weren't Cloutier defenders while defending Cloutier?
Nope

Name the last team with 3 straight Calder Trophy finalists before the Canucks did it.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Boeser and Barzal were the same draft... Hughes was a draft after Makar.. both of em and EP were 19. Outside of 1OA there's almost never an 18yo in the league.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Name the last team with 3 straight Calder Trophy finalists before the Canucks did it.
When did the Canucks do it? They had three but straight?

I bet folks get fooled with all the points leader and Hughes the best stuff right now.
I agree him, EP and Miller in or very close to the top of league is worthy of stories
BUT
Makar is actually doing better than Hughes
In fact these are adjusted points per game because Vancouver has played 2 more games.
Adjusted top tenhttps://www.nhl.com/player/8477956
1. David Pastrnak - 29 pts - 17gms - 1.71ptd/gm
2. Artemi Panarin - 26 pts - 16gms - 1.63pts/gm
3. Cale Makar - 27 pts- 17gms - 1.59pts/gm
4. William Nylander - 27 pts - 17gms - 1.59pts/gm
5. Quinn Hughes - 30 pts - 19gms - 1.58pts/gm
6. Nikita Kucherov - 28 pts - 18gms - 1.56pts/gm
7. J.T. Miller - 29pts - 19gms - 1.53pts/gm
8. Elias Pettersson - 28pts - 19gms - 1.47pts/gm
Jack Hughes is still the best per game though - 2.00pts/gm but not in the current top ten due to missed games 22pts - 11 games
It is still very good.

But if Hughes gets all the accolades and comparisons to Orr, well Makar is doing better but Hughes is still doing fantastic

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
Damn this Pastrnak what a passenger, and Bergeron and Krejci are sneaky af last two seasons wearing Zacha´s and Coyle´s jerseys. Pastrnak would do extremely bad without Bergeron and Krejci and Marchand and he would never score 60+ goals, that is just impossible. Very overrated player.

Pasta is best winger in the world AINEC

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

I bet folks get fooled with all the points leader and Hughes the best stuff right now.
I agree him, EP and Miller in or very close to the top of league is worthy of stories
BUT
In fact these are adjusted points per game because Vancouver has played 2 more games.
Adjusted top tenhttps://www.nhl.com/player/8477956
Jack Hughes is still the best per game though - 2.00pts/gm but not in the current top ten due to missed games 22pts - 11 games
It is still very good.

But if Hughes gets all the accolades and comparisons to Orr, well Makar is doing better but Hughes is still doing fantastic

Need an emoji wherethe fingers flaps the lips really quick

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    126.1 KB · Views: 2

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Are you serious?

BUT
Adjusted top tenDavid Pastrnak Stats And News
Are you saying Hughes isn’t elite when it comes to point production by a defenseman?

Britton

Nov 28, 2008

BUT
Adjusted top tenDavid Pastrnak Stats And News
It is still very good.

I mean 1.59 and 1.58 are functionally identical. They both prorate to 30 points in 19 games it's just a rounding thing. They are having very similar seasons,.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
20 game mark
Canucks record is starting show better than the team is.
Injuries while not all keeping players out are starting to have an effect.
Some teams in the league are starting to get worried about the standings so deals might start to percolate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad