Management Thread | Regular Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It would have set the team back 5-7 years absolutely if it wasn't for some of the bold moves this management team had to make. Trading Horvat and then trading for Hronek. Firing Boudreau and getting Tochett. Buying out OEL.

Those are aggressive moves that aren't "no-brainers" where it's a quick 2-year turnaround. I would say it's a 5-7 year job reduced to 2 years (maybe) because of being aggressive. However, I am still skeptical about calling this a finished "job-done" situation. Still, many holes in the team are being covered up by unsustainable scoring.
No argument from me that this management has done a great job in salvaging a tough situation.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I’m just going to say it because it’s been long enough. We have a pretty good management group. Haven’t felt this way since 2014.

Still pretty traumatized by what’s happened in the past, so I always have this thing in the back of my mind where i think we’re about to make some terrible ass trade/signing/move. Can you blame me though?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
EDIT: "it takes 5-7 years to accumulate players like Hughes/Demko/Pettersson Miller"

Why? Because you say so? Is this more of the patented logan5 asspull numbers (a la the "playoff contending team" or whatever it was)?

There's still Benning debates going on? Haven't been in the management thread for many months, but yup, the Benning vitriol is still flying, even though Benning hasn't been GM for over 2 years now, and the team is now one of the best in the league.

"But Gillis" became a meme because it was a horse that was ridden hard by those handwaving Benning's consistent basement finishes.

God forbid people discuss new and relevant information as it comes up. Namely, Luongo speaking directly about the LTIR penalty situation and Benning's lack of activity.

It's not anyone's in this thread's fault that Benning is an unending torrent of dumb decisions and new information is uncovered in the media.

Wasn't that long ago a lot of people were saying how Benning set the organization back years, and we need to rebuild. Whether it was Bracket, Linden, a potato, or whoever, the table was set pretty nicely for Rutherford and Allvin.

This team needed a lot of work (and still does. As much fun as it is to dunk on the Oilers fans seething over 'PDO!' there is a kernel of truth in there) and Benning did set the team back years.

I also think that management got exceptionally lucky, as the vast majority of their signings/trades have paid off huge. It's a welcome breath of fresh air from the rancid turds Benning would routinely throw onto the roster, but I honestly don't know if this is the result of multiple stars aligning or just not having experienced competent management for nearly a decade and being shocked at guys like Lafferty paying off.

LIke I said, I don't know if this is just years of Benning's mismanagement clouding how I see current moves, but I do know that at least Allvin and Rutherford didn't take a great big black heaping shit on the table, like Benning did when Gillis set it for him.

Last edited:

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Hahah, if so, that is the most Benning of Benning moves. Makes me think of that presser where he just claimed cap space would work itself out

My favorite JIm Benning quote (and god, there's so many) would be when talking about Holtby's buyout and concerns about cap and he goes 'no, it's all good, Luongo's cap penalty is coming off the books next year.'

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
It takes 5 to 7 years to accumulate players like Hughes Demko Pettersson Miller. There’s no way this team was set back 5 to 7 years. Allvin has been good, but he had an elite core that very few teams have, to build around.

You can choose not to believe it if you want, but not sure Benning should get credit for Petersson according to those in the know claiming Benning didn't want to take him.

And he deserves credit for Demko and Hughes for sure, but by the same token, you're skipping over him taking Juolevi over Tkachuk and Virtanen over Nylander / Ehlers.

And frankly Benning will be a relevant topic as long as his decisions are still causing our suffering, and on OEL alone, we're going to be able to point to real impact of Benning's stupidity till 2031.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
You can choose not to believe it if you want, but not sure Benning should get credit for Petersson according to those in the know claiming Benning didn't want to take him.

And he deserves credit for Demko and Hughes for sure, but by the same token, you're skipping over him taking Juolevi over Tkachuk and Virtanen over Nylander / Ehlers.

And frankly Benning will be a relevant topic as long as his decisions are still causing our suffering, and on OEL alone, we're going to be able to point to real impact of Benning's stupidity till 2031.
At the end of the day, Benning went up to the podium, selected Pettersson, and looked pretty pleased about it..(so was Linden , who extended him another 3 years after the fact )..By hook, and by crook, he accumulated Demko,Pettersson,Boeser,Hughes, and Miller..the main core you're watching right now..He failed to build a cohesive team around this group players, and was shown the door.

It's interesting that most of the expert posters here ,who lambasted Benning for being a terrible talent evaluator, didnt want Elias Pettersson either..They wanted Villardi,Glass or Mittelstadt..If they were the GM, Pettersson wouldnt be a Canuck.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
It's interesting that most of the expert posters here ,who lambasted Benning for being a terrible talent evaluator, didnt want Elias Pettersson either..They wanted Villardi,Glass or Mittelstadt..If they were the GM, Pettersson wouldnt be a Canuck.

Ignoring that one of Pastor's common tactics ("create a nebulous statement said by no one but attributed to everyone") is in play:

Citation needed.

Also, Benning was absolutely terrible at talent evaluation. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. No, 'THWEE CALDUR FINALISTZZZZZ1111!!!!11!' is not proof. Why? Because you still have to contend with the rest of his overall body of work.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
On OEL:

The Canucks’ cap savings in 2024-25 will be about $4.9 million, and the annual savings diminish after that. But three years from now, the salary cap — about to enter its fourth and final season of artificial suppression because players don’t like escrow — should be $100 million and the dead money won’t be nearly so onerous.

• Haha
Reactions: andora

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It is amusing that the posters who complain about Benning still being brought up are the same ones who praised and defended him up until the end. Like how dare they be reminded of what a colossal moron Benning is.
2 years on is apparently past the statute of limitations to blame Jim Benning for anything, But Gillis! was apparently a legit argument 7 years after he was fired.

Interesting.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It could literally just be that Aquilini said no way, though. For all his background, he doesn't seem to understand what "investment" or "sunk costs" are, and would see it as just "paying someone not to play".

but less than two years later he agreed to the OEL buyout?

for all his flaws, Aquilini didn't demonstrate that kind of stinginess before or after Benning. i think MS nailed it - while Frankie is stupid, smarter GMs have used that to their advantage to make beneficial moves for the Canucks

Reactions: racerjoe

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

The Benning regime selected Pettersson. The Benning regime was a terrible judge of talent over a large sample size. The two aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, selecting Pettersson (among others) and still managing to build terrible teams reinforces just how terrible they were.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Benning regime selected Pettersson. The Benning regime was a terrible judge of talent over a large sample size. The two aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, selecting Pettersson (among others) and still managing to build terrible teams reinforces just how terrible they were.
Not in selecting Demko,Pettersson,Boeser, Hughes, and the great trade for JT Miller...Sure, there were misses at the top of the draft, but thats exclusive to all teams in the league at some point.

As for the rest though, I wholeheartedly agree..Signing, trading for players that didnt fit with each other..and the inability to build a proper squad around his young core..Benning would have squandered the core pieces he accumulated..Lucky for us, we now have peeps in charge that know a thing or two.

Last edited:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

Actually, if you read my previous post, I gave credit for those draft picks to Brackett, Linden, and a potato. I am not mentioning Benning at all here so as to not get people upset. I am saying that Allvin was set up pretty nicely with those players.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
"ha ha, yes, I came in here and made mocking comments about Benning in my first post, stirring up the hornet's nest, but I haven't mentioned his name subsequently, even though the conversation was ostensibly about him. checkmate, atheists!"

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
And yet again I'm repeating myself: No one is saying JEB had not done a single good deed here in Orca city, that's a mathematical impossibility (but boy oh boy did he try HARD...). JEB deserves full credit for drafting Pete Boeser and Hughes, and I'm even willing to disregard what Linden said. The JT Miller trade was a slam dunk without any doubt, as Miller fully embraced his role here and has become an engine that drives the team forward.

But no, he does NOT have an eye for talent, if he did he would not have f***ed the OJ and JV picks so badly, nor would he have f***ed up basically every single UFA signings, nor would he have f***ed up almost every trade.

The 5-7 years to accumulate talent narrative is as ridiculous as the constantly shifting goal post of rebuild time. Are we using one of the most inept GM's in NHL history as the standard for everything? Yeah, no, just no.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
And yet again I'm repeating myself: No one is saying JEB had not done a single good deed here in Orca city, that's a mathematical impossibility (but boy oh boy did he try HARD...). JEB deserves full credit for drafting Pete Boeser and Hughes, and I'm even willing to disregard what Linden said. The JT Miller trade was a slam dunk without any doubt, as Miller fully embraced his role here and has become an engine that drives the team forward.

But no, he does NOT have an eye for talent, if he did he would not have f***ed the OJ and JV picks so badly, nor would he have f***ed up basically every single UFA signings, nor would he have f***ed up almost every trade.

The 5-7 years to accumulate talent narrative is as ridiculous as the constantly shifting goal post of rebuild time. Are we using one of the most inept GM's in NHL history as the standard for everything? Yeah, no, just no.
Remember when we had a $12 million 4th line of Beagle, Roussel, and Eriksson? They really helped build a winning culture here.

Reactions: MarkMM and Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad