Management Thread | Regular Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It could literally just be that Aquilini said no way, though. For all his background, he doesn't seem to understand what "investment" or "sunk costs" are, and would see it as just "paying someone not to play".

Maybe? But wouldn't the contract have been covered by insurance anyway?

But there are lots of dumb owners in the world and it's the GM's responsibility to explain to them why moves need to be made. If the Luongo retirement situation had happened when Gillis or Burke or Rutherford/Allvin were in charge, there isn't a chance in hell things play out the same way.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Put yourself back 1 year in time. It’s January of 2023…

…you are dreaming of how long it will take us to become not only a top team in the league, but also simultaneously have a bunch of really nice prospects to be excited about….

How many of us would have said ‘yeah, this time next year’
Yeah, it's kind of absurd.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I am pretty sure some Benning white knights will come and defend this.
There's still Benning debates going on? Haven't been in the management thread for many months, but yup, the Benning vitriol is still flying, even though Benning hasn't been GM for over 2 years now, and the team is now one of the best in the league.

Wasn't that long ago a lot of people were saying how Benning set the organization back years, and we need to rebuild. Whether it was Bracket, Linden, a potato, or whoever, the table was set pretty nicely for Rutherford and Allvin.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The brain surgeons that keep blurting out that Pettersson will ONLY sign a two or three year deal are highly amusing. They have nothing to base this on other than their own venom that the team is doing pretty well this year…… in their 1 -2 year window. :laugh:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It could literally just be that Aquilini said no way, though. For all his background, he doesn't seem to understand what "investment" or "sunk costs" are, and would see it as just "paying someone not to play".
I feel like this is something that might not have even made it to Aquilini. While he wouldn't play I'd imagine he'd need to spend some time in Vancouver and I'm sure Aqua would like that.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Maybe? But wouldn't the contract have been covered by insurance anyway?

But there are lots of dumb owners in the world and it's the GM's responsibility to explain to them why moves need to be made. If the Luongo retirement situation had happened when Gillis or Burke or Rutherford/Allvin were in charge, there isn't a chance in hell things play out the same way.
Agreed. Benning explaining CBA minutiae to Aquilini would make for a good Monty Python sketch.

(Was Luongo actually injured though, to the point of having insurance kick in? This has faded from memory and I thought the LTIR proposition was kind of Hossa-style).

Reactions: pitseleh and andora

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
it's highly unlikely insurance would cover an ltiretired player. the insurance companies are a lot better about denying claims than the nhl is about validating ltir. i think benning sucked but probably aquilini didn't want to pay out on luongo's contract

Reactions: andora

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Luongo's body was f***ed. I think it was mainly his hips, but there was reports it would take him like 2+ hours to get prepared to play a game with all the stretching and work he had to do to get ready.

He absolutely could have been LTIRetired, if they wanted.

Screenshot_20240107_180006_Chrome.jpg

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
There's still Benning debates going on? Haven't been in the management thread for many months, but yup, the Benning vitriol is still flying, even though Benning hasn't been GM for over 2 years now, and the team is now one of the best in the league.

Wasn't that long ago a lot of people were saying how Benning set the organization back years, and we need to rebuild. Whether it was Bracket, Linden, a potato, or whoever, the table was set pretty nicely for Rutherford and Allvin.

Gillis was routinely dragged out of his GM grave in defense of the pitiful stupidities of JEB long after the former's departure, so only 2 years after one of the most disastrously awful GM's and arguably darkest eras in orca history where we're still cleaning up the latter's mess seems very reasonable.

JEB drafted Boeser Hughes and Pete, credits to him. The rumblings about him wanting to pick Glass aside, he also failed spectacularly with OJ and JV picks. Not to mention he failed his way to those draft picks, while trying and failing to "compete".

No, he did not "set" for the team to succeed, he had some great young players while fumbled tumbled and mumbled his way to one failure after another and left a pile of garbage that threatened to waste the prime years of our young core. Moleman and Mr. Clean did some amazing work to mop up the vomit and diarrhea, and while not unscathed, came out as fresh as they could make it0, and somehow this is all credit to JEB?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
They paid OEL not to play just about more than anyone in NHL history

Reactions: racerjoe

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Called what. I wasn’t defending the Luongo situation at all. Not sure how you could have possibly interpreted my post that way.
A GOAT Logan post was pontificating about Benning winning GM of the year, rubbing it in (“the look on some their faces”), only for Elmer to get fired and OEL bought out lol. I love your content Logan.

Reactions: quat and racerjoe

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004

Leafs fans have Harold Ballard, Hawks fans have Bill Wirtz, Canucks fans still complained about Mike Keenan during the WCE era. When you set the standard for incompetence, people have long memories.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Leafs fans have Harold Ballard, Hawks fans have Bill Wirtz, Canucks fans still complained about Mike Keenan during the WCE era. When you set the standard for incompetence, people have long memories.

And again I'd like to post the good stuff JEB did here: like I said above, ignoring the rumors from Linden that JEB was not actually a draft Elder GOD (shocking, I know...), picking out Boeser Pete and Hughes were great moves worthy of celebration. And adding Miller to our core roster was a bold move that paid off big time, as he's transformed into a beating heart for the orcas.

Let there none complain that JEB's genius was never recognized and the board was nothing but vile vitriol against him.

(Yet I know there will be more, there will ALWAYS be more.)

Reactions: quat

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

I wouldnt exactly say the table was set (namely because we were in cap hell, and we had quite a number of underachieving contracts on the books), but walking into a situation where you have an elite young core at your disposal definitely gives you a leg up.

When JR/PA started, many posters here claimed that Benning had set the team back 5-7 years..which is nonsense..Rutherford said it would take 2 years to sort out the mess, and (barring OEL's buyout) , he was right on the money.

Many here wanted to rebuild, most wanted Miller off the team..None was necessary..The problem with Benning was that he was unable to put together a 'cohesive' team..even though he had the same cornerstones as JR/PA have now.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
(Was Luongo actually injured though, to the point of having insurance kick in? This has faded from memory and I thought the LTIR proposition was kind of Hossa-style).

wow i just realized how naïve i was to always have just assumed that LTIRetirements were insurance payouts, not team payouts.

otoh, did the coyotes actually pay some those players?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I wouldnt exactly say the table was set (namely because we were in cap hell, and we had quite a number of underachieving contracts on the books), but walking into a situation where you have an elite young core at your disposal definitely gives you a leg up.

When JR/PA started, many posters here claimed that Benning had set the team back 5-7 years..which is nonsense..Rutherford said it would take 2 years to sort out the mess, and (barring OEL's buyout) , he was right on the money.

Many here wanted to rebuild, most wanted Miller off the team..None was necessary..The problem with Benning was that he was unable to put together a 'cohesive' team..even though he had the same cornerstones as JR/PA have now.
It would have set the team back 5-7 years absolutely if it wasn't for some of the bold moves this management team had to make. Trading Horvat and then trading for Hronek. Firing Boudreau and getting Tochett. Buying out OEL.

Those are aggressive moves that aren't "no-brainers" where it's a quick 2-year turnaround. I would say it's a 5-7 year job reduced to 2 years (maybe) because of being aggressive. However, I am still skeptical about calling this a finished "job-done" situation. Still, many holes in the team are being covered up by unsustainable scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad