OT: Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
The whole stadium is a deathtrap. The fire exits are terrible. Whenever I go to another stadium and use the fire exits to leave the arena, I wished MSG had these. (Barclays, Bell Centre, Prudential Center are some stadiums that have large fire exits). No more 5 to 10 minutes to leave the stadium from the upper bowl.

MSG has fire exits that you can use...

Just, a lot of people use them

GregNYR19

agitator
Oct 26, 2007
Fair Lawn, NJ
twitter.com
The whole stadium is a deathtrap. The fire exits are terrible. Whenever I go to another stadium and use the fire exits to leave the arena, I wished MSG had these. (Barclays, Bell Centre, Prudential Center are some stadiums that have large fire exits). No more 5 to 10 minutes to leave the stadium from the upper bowl.

k when was the last time the garden went on fire? also, the prudential centre...half the people go to that arena so i dont expect the fire exits to be packed. the upper bowl is jam packed with people at MSG, what do you expect, 18,200 fire escapes? also, it hasn't ever taken me more than 5-10 min to get out of the garden stairwells.

cat-watermelon.jpg

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
the concourses are so crowded there would no doubt be quite a few fatalities in the event of an actual emergency.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The building is up to code, or it wouldn't be open.

Not sure how that's relevant to the statement that many people will be injured in the case of an emergency. Have you actually been in the upper concourse during an intermission? There are far more people crammed in that narrow space than could reasonably be expected to escape unscathed in a panic. It's a potential deathtrap, that I'm sure of.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Not sure how that's relevant to the statement that many people will be injured in the case of an emergency. Have you actually been in the upper concourse during an intermission? There are far more people crammed in that narrow space than could reasonably be expected to escape unscathed in a panic. It's a potential deathtrap, that I'm sure of.

Agreed. My gripes with the new lay-out are the seats themselves, very cramped. Seats in the upper bowl are lower to the floor than the old 400s and the top of the seat in front of you is too high. I am 6'2" and my knees bang against the seat in front of me. Upper concourse during intermission is a disaster, like Times Square on New Year's Eve. I emailed my rep about it last season and she said they think it would settle down after a few games. That people just wanted to walk around and see everything and once they did, there would be less people in the concourses. They were wrong. Finally, it is impossible for people to get to their seats after a whistle before the drop of the next puck. In the old 400s, it was very simple to stand at the top and when the whistle blew to get back to your seats. Now, can't be done unless it is a tv time-out.

As far as sight-lines, new set-up is MUCH better, although I did think it was going to be steeper.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The building is up to code, or it wouldn't be open.

I think both these statements are true. The renovated garden will comply with the fire code for number of exits per occupancy, width of hallways, sprinklers, etc...

But also, if there were a large fire you would have a major stampede and it would be difficult for the people in the middle of the 200's to get out quickly. I think people would be able to get out, but there would be a lot of broken bones & bruised / traumatized people

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013

During an Intermission, people aren't leaving the building. Intermission is very different from an orderly evacuation. Nobody is going to be hanging around, waiting on line for a beer.

Agreed. My gripes with the new lay-out are the seats themselves, very cramped. Seats in the upper bowl are lower to the floor than the old 400s and the top of the seat in front of you is too high. I am 6'2" and my knees bang against the seat in front of me. Upper concourse during intermission is a disaster, like Times Square on New Year's Eve. I emailed my rep about it last season and she said they think it would settle down after a few games. That people just wanted to walk around and see everything and once they did, there would be less people in the concourses. They were wrong. Finally, it is impossible for people to get to their seats after a whistle before the drop of the next puck. In the old 400s, it was very simple to stand at the top and when the whistle blew to get back to your seats. Now, can't be done unless it is a tv time-out.

I once had to wait TWO TV time-outs to get back to my seat, because there were so many people waiting to get back to their seats and to compound the problem, people leaving at the same time. The portals are too small.

I think both these statements are true. The renovated garden will comply with the fire code for number of exits per occupancy, width of hallways, sprinklers, etc...

But also, if there were a large fire you would have a major stampede and it would be difficult for the people in the middle of the 200's to get out quickly. I think people would be able to get out, but there would be a lot of broken bones & bruised / traumatized people

To have a large fire, you are going to need fuel, and a lot of it concentrated. I am certain the seats are made of new-age asbestos-like material. Everything else is steel, concrete, and glass. You can have an electrical fire, but again, it won't be an inferno. The biggest risk is in the kitchens.

Panic would be the primary cause of death if there ever were a large fire in the garden.

Cheers!
-Doug

Last edited:

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
To have a large fire, you are going to need fuel, and a lot of it concentrated. I am certain the seats are made of new-age asbestos-like material. Everything else is steel, concrete, and glass. You can have an electrical fire, but again, it won't be an inferno. The biggest risk is in the kitchens.

Panic would be the primary cause of death if there ever were a large fire in the garden
Agreed, but god forbid if there was a structural failure of some sort or a terrorist set off some sort of device, there would be a stampede

Blueshirt13

Apr 23, 2004
Other side of the Ri
Agreed, but god forbid if there was a structural failure of some sort or a terrorist set off some sort of device, there would be a stampede

The thing is, regardless of how well thought out any building is, there will be injuries when people are panicking and trying to get out. Whether its the "new" MSG, the Barclays Center, the Prudential Center, Metlife or anywhere, when a large group of people are panicking to get out of anywhere, people will get hurt, plain and simple.

jhnyr

Feb 6, 2007
Finally, it is impossible for people to get to their seats after a whistle before the drop of the next puck. In the old 400s, it was very simple to stand at the top and when the whistle blew to get back to your seats. Now, can't be done unless it is a tv time-out.

Yeah, I wish some people would realize this. Constantly last season you had the anonymous tough guys shouting at people to sit down, when they were obviously trying to get to their seats. Unfortunate, but with the current configuration and narrow rows, it's nigh impossible. The views are better, yes... but the ease of ingress/egress is shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad