OT: Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ready4show

Oct 2, 2012
concourse / lobby :

72adn9.jpg

28bfo8z.jpg

more bridge:

u24aq.jpg

2py7tap.jpg

24wwsgw.jpg

Those can lamps under the bridges are just atrocious. Ouch!

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
If that's it for the concourse/lobby, that's incredibly disappointing.

I guess well all have to walk in to see for ourselves but that's a piss poor entrance for what they tout as "the worlds most famous arena".

Those renderings are nice because they open up the ceiling and allow the best feature of the Gardens surroundings shine through... The CITY. The dropped ceiling minimizes any depth to the space. They dropped the ball on this one. For what reason who knows.

Looks more and more like they had to cut multiple features out of the plans to make it in time for the season. Half assed job if that's the case. Add another phase to give the fans what they pay for.

I'm mostly disappointed in the lack of city views. That was the most attractive part of the lobby/concourse plans for me.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
If that's it for the concourse/lobby, that's incredibly disappointing.

I guess well all have to walk in to see for ourselves but that's a piss poor entrance for what they tout as "the worlds most famous arena".

Those renderings are nice because they open up the ceiling and allow the best feature of the Gardens surroundings shine through... The CITY. The dropped ceiling minimizes any depth to the space. They dropped the ball on this one. For what reason who knows.

Looks more and more like they had to cut multiple features out of the plans to make it in time for the season. Half assed job if that's the case. Add another phase to give the fans what they pay for.

I'm mostly disappointed in the lack of city views. That was the most attractive part of the lobby/concourse plans for me.

That's a real big if because most of the planned "airiness" is behind where this person snapped this picture.

And I happen to think that some people will be disappointed no matter what the place ends up looking like.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
That's a real big if because most of the planned "airiness" is behind where this person snapped this picture.

And I happen to think that some people here will be incredibly disappointed no matter what the place ends up looking like.

You're right. As I was looking at the picture I realized that too. So it remains to be seen. I could be wrong.

But there were certainly cuts made I'm sure. Power rings and the ceiling to name a couple. I'm thrilled they installed a completely new rink though, which may be the most important thing as a fan of hockey.

ratdog07067

Aug 4, 2011
Woodbridge, NJ
The overly cynical part of me thinks that since this transformation was ultimately about more and fancier clubs and suites, the lobby was scaled down as most of the club and suite ticket holders go straight up the escalators and never see it.

Of course that's just me with not enough coffee yet.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Was just at MSG and you can see into the lobby since they're taking the covering off the doors. Looks bigger than it did last year but at the end of the day, it just looks like a modernized version of the old lobby. Didn't see anything different from the pics posted earlier compared to what I saw today.

ChipAyten

NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
Dec 19, 2008
Lawn Guyland
They could have the rangers play on a pond where fans have to bring their own lawn chairs to watch for all I care, as long as the team is good.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
They could have the rangers play on a pond where fans have to bring their own lawn chairs to watch for all I care, as long as the team is good.

Smart man.

No one is picking another team to support because of the lobby's low ceilings. Would we have preferred a new building? Sure... but between cost and politics, this is what we've got. NYC is one of the most expensive places to build in the world - I'm surprised even this amount of renovation was completed the way it was.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
part of the problem with releasing "artists renderings" when who knows if those plans are even feasible, or if there's the budget to do them. But it raises expectations...

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
It's actually raised and lowered really, really slowly using a complicated hoist system. Remember what happened in Buffalo a number of years ago? That's what happens when procedures aren't followed. :amazed:

IIRC, Marine Midland Arena purchased one of the old center ice scoreboards from MSG a few years back... Maybe this was why...

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
I get hassled every time I come to the game straight from work because I have to bring a small bag with me, but I started getting the business every time after the Boston bombing...

I stopped carrying crap to games (leave my baggage in the office) once a mate told me, "What are you going to do with that stuff between now and 9am tomorrow?" My response, "Nothing." His reply, "Then leave it in the office..."

So I do, and do not regret it one bit...

Although I do miss the cheap refills a laptop bag used to afford me back in the day....

Cheers!
-Doug

Giglio NYR15

Section 417
Jun 1, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Im sure they will put rangers and knicks banners up throughout the lobby on gamedays. Ill wait to judge until October 28th. Doesn't look to special though, and idc its only something I walk thru.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
is it possible that a lot of the upgrades were scrapped because they don't believe that they're going to be in this building when the 10 year permit expires?

Doubtful. I would guess the probability they remain in the current location after 10 years is over 95%. And even if they were moving, you're talking a very small percentage of the overall 600 or 700 or whatever hundred million dollar renovation. Not sure why they would say, let's save 3% because we're leaving in a decade.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
is it possible that a lot of the upgrades were scrapped because they don't believe that they're going to be in this building when the 10 year permit expires?

There isn't a government agency that can seriously afford to pay the Garden to go away.

The Garden is private property. Use eminent domain and pay me fair market value for it. Then find me another site in the city and prepare it for development for me.

I go broke just thinking about it...

As was written before, in ten years, they'll get another ten years.

Cheers!
-Doug

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Al Trautwig ‏@AlTrautwig 34s
The new ice system has done its first job at the Garden. A simple "1926" has been painted next to the NYR crest. Now finishing the lobby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad