OT: Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part VI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Giglio NYR15

Section 417
Jun 1, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
From todays pics look like that giant power ring is for above the scoreboard....the rendering showed the smaller rings underneath it but there is still no evidence to prove they are doing that. It does look like they are preparing to put the boards up soon.

And I havent seen any ceiling restorating take place in anyway. Looks the same. Its all got to be ready for basketball october 25th.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The project is NOT DONE.

My head is going to explode if i read more complaining about views in here. If you don't like the view from your seat, sit somewhere else. The structure of a building from the 1960s precludes every seat in the house from being a good one. That's just all there is to it.

I am with you. The constant complaining about everything is ridiculous. Especially from people who do not even attend games.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The project is NOT DONE.

My head is going to explode if i read more complaining about views in here. If you don't like the view from your seat, sit somewhere else. The structure of a building from the 1960s precludes every seat in the house from being a good one. That's just all there is to it.

I don't understand. On the one hand you are saying there's more work to be done...on the other you say there will be bad seats. GordonGecko commented on a view that looks to be terrible...are you saying the view will improve, or that he should just deal with it? And no reason for your head to explode about negative opinions. As long as you're happy with your seats why does it matter to you?

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
I don't understand. On the one hand you are saying there's more work to be done...on the other you say there will be bad seats. GordonGecko commented on a view that looks to be terrible...are you saying the view will improve, or that he should just deal with it? And no reason for your head to explode about negative opinions. As long as you're happy with your seats why does it matter to you?

**This is long; sorry...**

With the lights on and in an actual game play environment, I think the view from that particular area will be modestly better than was shown in that picture.

With that being said, I'm also advising GordonGecko and several others in these threads who have repeatedly made negative remarks about changes in views from seats in selected 200s and 400s to accept that they will not be able to see the main scoreboard. No amount of commenting on an internet message board will change the plan or affect the future business decisions made by management in any way.

Some here make it sound like every seat in the 200s and 400s will be garbage, and I don't believe that will be the case when all is said and done. It seems to me that more like only several hundred seats will be affected. If 1000 seats are affected, that will be around 5.5% of total full attendance.

I'm sure most here who wanted a more contemporary game experience (myself included) would have preferred a new arena from the ground up like almost every other team in the NHL has gotten in the last 20 years, but the political reality of NYC has made that impossible. What we have instead is the gut renovation of an unloved relic with every attempt made to preserve the pre-construction seating capacity.

Some past complaining here (not all) has also had classist undercurrents that I can only call seriously unwelcome, and for what it's worth, I've attended games in person for 25 years and am a five-year season ticket holder in the 100s on the 8th Avenue side. I'm very happy with my seats and with the job that permits me to afford them, and I believe I am just as much of a hockey fan as someone sitting in any other area of the building.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
From todays pics look like that giant power ring is for above the scoreboard....the rendering showed the smaller rings underneath it but there is still no evidence to prove they are doing that. It does look like they are preparing to put the boards up soon.

And I havent seen any ceiling restorating take place in anyway. Looks the same. Its all got to be ready for basketball october 25th.

I would think they would have to give some kind of attention to the ceiling given the fact that some of the cable joints are painted purple and that wont match any of the interior colors once the transformation is complete.

In that rendering and a lot of the broad view shots of the completed transformation the ceiling is an integral part of the new design. Hope they stick with it and if the 3rd phase isnt complete maybe its something they are going to push to next summer?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
**This is long; sorry...**

With the lights on and in an actual game play environment, I think the view from that particular area will be modestly better than was shown in that picture.

With that being said, I'm also advising GordonGecko and several others in these threads who have repeatedly made negative remarks about changes in views from seats in selected 200s and 400s to accept that they will not be able to see the main scoreboard. No amount of commenting on an internet message board will change the plan or affect the future business decisions made by management in any way.

Some here make it sound like every seat in the 200s and 400s will be garbage, and I don't believe that will be the case when all is said and done. It seems to me that more like only several hundred seats will be affected. If 1000 seats are affected, that will be around 5.5% of total full attendance.

I'm sure most here who wanted a more contemporary game experience (myself included) would have preferred a new arena from the ground up like almost every other team in the NHL has gotten in the last 20 years, but the political reality of NYC has made that impossible. What we have instead is the gut renovation of an unloved relic with every attempt made to preserve the pre-construction seating capacity.

Some past complaining here (not all) has also had classist undercurrents that I can only call seriously unwelcome, and for what it's worth, I've attended games in person for 25 years and am a five-year season ticket holder in the 100s on the 8th Avenue side. I'm very happy with my seats and with the job that permits me to afford them, and I believe I am just as much of a hockey fan as someone sitting in any other area of the building.

I agree with most of that. I've been saying for a while there won't be that many effected seats (maybe 10%) and of those we won't really know to what extent until we get in there. No doubt there will be people unhappy with the result, but hopefully they can relocate to something more desirable in the near future.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Let's just move to Barclays center if MSG is such ****...:shakehead

Some of you people need to man up and accept the fact that not everything goes your way. If you don't like it, sit home with your son/old man/buddy and watch the game, it's alot cheaper anyway

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

Some of you people need to man up and accept the fact that not everything goes your way. If you don't like it, sit home with your son/old man/buddy and watch the game, it's alot cheaper anyway

Barclays Center sucks, so I'll pass.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY

I hear the Medowlands arena is available.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
BUvJmQCCUAEVgHV.jpg

The project is NOT DONE.

Sorry to make you throw another hissy fit, but if that picture smuggled out is in section 221-222, then that's news to everyone that it could be that bad. Those are $76 seats, and no one - I mean no one expected the view to be that bad.

If the picture is from the top of the 400 deck, then that's another story - we all know that the view in the top two rows are garbage. All comes down to where that pic was taken

ratdog07067

Aug 4, 2011
Woodbridge, NJ
I'm no photo forensics expert but looking at that pic I'm wondering if it was taken from the top of some scaffolding. If that's the case, even if it is from section 221 it's not what the view will look like to anyone under 20 feet tall.

But like everyone else has been saying, we'll have to wait and see.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I'm no photo forensics expert but looking at that pic I'm wondering if it was taken from the top of some scaffolding. If that's the case, even if it is from section 221 it's not what the view will look like to anyone under 20 feet tall.

But like everyone else has been saying, we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah that's a good point, could be from scaffolding. It's amazing how little pictures have come out of this summer's reno

We need IslandXtreme to post some the good stuff :)

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011

And have the scoreboard over the blue line and black drapes behind the goals.:laugh:

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
If the picture is from the top of the 400 deck, then that's another story - we all know that the view in the top two rows are garbage. All comes down to where that pic was taken

My vote is for section 421 WC accessible Row 6, taken while standing. You can clearly see the tempered glass in front the photographer's POV. And you can see it in front of the bloke walking up the stairs in the right side of the picture.

Cheers!
-Doug

Attachments

• 421WC.jpg
    421WC.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 71

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Barclays Center sucks, so I'll pass.

Agreed. Went there last night for the Devils / Isle's game. I was not impressed. There are many seats that are just awful for hockey. Some of the front rows in the upper bowl are actually quite nice...

My favorite part of the place? Spumoni Garden..

Last edited by a moderator:

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Sorry to make you throw another hissy fit, but if that picture smuggled out is in section 221-222, then that's news to everyone that it could be that bad. Those are $76 seats, and no one - I mean no one expected the view to be that bad.

Gonna be worse for me. I'm section 227 row 16. My tickets are $68 per.

ChipAyten

NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
Dec 19, 2008
Lawn Guyland
Agreed. Went there last night for the Devils / Isle's game. I was not impressed. There are many seats that are just awful for hockey. Some of the front rows in the upper bowl are actually quite nice...

My favorite part of the place? Spumoni Garden..

Hockey arenas need to be as steep as possible. That's why the Bell Centre has the best views in the Ligue

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Hockey arenas need to be as steep as possible. That's why the Bell Centre has the best views in the Ligue
Agreed. Been there 3 times. Great place to watch a game. Although, if you are afraid of heights, it could be a bit scary.

Ready4show

Oct 2, 2012
I would think they would have to give some kind of attention to the ceiling given the fact that some of the cable joints are painted purple and that wont match any of the interior colors once the transformation is complete.

In that rendering and a lot of the broad view shots of the completed transformation the ceiling is an integral part of the new design. Hope they stick with it and if the 3rd phase isnt complete maybe its something they are going to push to next summer?

Some ceiling painting was done in mid June before the floor was carved up. About 5 or 6 Ultra Boom lifts were used for painters to access the ceiling however, it appears that only the cables and associated hardware where painted black. In the construction cam photos, you could see the workers in the buckets wearing respirators and holding paint rollers. The buckets were protected with poly sheets (drop cloths) that were splattered with black paint. No orange or yellow paint splatter was evident. Hard to tell from the construction cam images if any other ceiling finish work was performed. In any case,it looks like it is going to be what it is for now. Protective sheeting has been removed from the PA speakers and the new scoreboard is going in. Recent construction cam images also reveal NYK banners rolled out over some seats in section 110 so it may be safe to speculate that the banners are going to fly very soon and the ceiling is done for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad