LW Taylor Hall (2010, 1st overall, EDM)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BLAME CANADA*

Any chance this kid gets sent back to the OHL?

He's struggling right now, not getting a ton of ice-time, no goals and is a minus 4.

Is it possible?

No, they should develop Hall the same way they did with Gagner.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

He's not struggling btw. Actually he's taken over the games for shifts at a time.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
People asking if he should go back to junior aren't watching him play and just looking at the stats sheet. Sure, there have been times where he's looked like an 18 year old but he's also had flashes of brilliance. As long as we keep seeing those flashes he's in good shape. He's been getting better every game too. The chances have been there. Eventually they'll turn into goals.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
He has played better than his stats suggest. I think once he gets the monkey off his back and scores one goal, the rest will come a lot easier.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
You can tell he is chasing the first goal, which makes him hold on to the puck way too much. But then again, the sooner he gets the first goal I guess he can relax and play better.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
He's playing very well.

As for going back to junior... no point, no chance, no reward... no brainer.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
He has played better than his stats suggest. I think once he gets the monkey off his back and scores one goal, the rest will come a lot easier.

A lot better. He is so strong with the puck, far from struggling. Just because you go to the stats page and see he has no goals and is -4 doesn't mean he is stuggling. Honestly he is playing just as good if not better then Paajarvi.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I posted this in another thread, but will post it again here:

Post after post I see nothing but praise for 2008 1st overall pick Steven Stamkos, and it's deserved, he's a great player. I also see tonnes posts with people quite negative about 2010 1st overall pick Taylor Hall. These people, IMO, expect WAY too much out of an 18 year old rookie. How short are your memories? Here's how Stamkos' career started:

First 7 games: 0 points, -3
First 17 games: 2g, 1a, -8
First 40 games: 4g, 9a, -11

I can almost guarantee that many of the people currently downtalking Hall are the same ones who were calling Stamkos a bust 40 games into his career. Rookies take time to develop, I don't see how anyone can watch Hall and not see the massive potential, he's got incredible raw tools, like all 18 year old rookies he's just not a finished product.
Here's another example that doesn't get a lot of talk.

Matt Duchene
First 7 games- 0 goals, 3 assists and -4
First 13 games- 1 goal, 5 assists and -4
First 21 games- 2 goals, 5 assists and -8

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't know why everyone expected him to come in and light the league on fire last year at this time he was playing against kids. The Oilers will let him play through it and he will be a better player for it.

Parise09*

No. He may not get the points, but at times he can flat out dominate.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I posted this in another thread, but will post it again here:

Post after post I see nothing but praise for 2008 1st overall pick Steven Stamkos, and it's deserved, he's a great player. I also see tonnes posts with people quite negative about 2010 1st overall pick Taylor Hall. These people, IMO, expect WAY too much out of an 18 year old rookie. How short are your memories? Here's how Stamkos' career started:

First 7 games: 0 points, -3
First 17 games: 2g, 1a, -8
First 40 games: 4g, 9a, -11

I can almost guarantee that many of the people currently downtalking Hall are the same ones who were calling Stamkos a bust 40 games into his career. Rookies take time to develop, I don't see how anyone can watch Hall and not see the massive potential, he's got incredible raw tools, like all 18 year old rookies he's just not a finished product.

Thank you!

And hes not struggling. Hes playing 17+ mins a game and is sometimes the best player on the ice for both teams(Wild game). Hes just having a little trouble with finishing. But that will come soon enough

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
he's the type of player that could use ~15-20 games in the AHL, but thanks to the CHL-AHL agreement and his age, he cant. Sending him back to junior wouldnt serve much, he has nothing more to learn there.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Too bad he can't play a few games in the AHL like danishh said, not that I think they would have assigned him there either.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
He should go play in Europe, either Finland or Sweden. Playing against men would help. Finnish league would probably suit him better due to some rinks being smaller than international size and the more aggressive/physical playing style.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The discussion is asinine. Few Oilers (if any) have generated more scoring chances than Taylor Hall. Bad puck luck and pressure are keeping him off the scoreboard, not ineffectiveness.

Regardless, he's not going back to Windsor. We know this.

He should go play in Europe, either Finland or Sweden. Playing against men would help. Finnish league would probably suit him better due to some rinks being smaller than international size and the more aggressive/physical playing style.

Will never happen. Not for Taylor, not for anyone who follows.

Ogopogo*

Any chance this kid gets sent back to the OHL?

He's struggling right now, not getting a ton of ice-time, no goals and is a minus 4.

Is it possible?

Struggling?

My first few weeks at a new job were never referred to as "struggling", it was always called training.

He is staying in Edmonton to learn the pro game. By Christmas, he will probably look pretty comfortable in the NHL.

Remember, Joe Thornton put up a whopping 7 points as a rookie. Great players still need to learn the pro game - how do you learn to be a pro by not playing pro?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002

What now? Finland aggressive/physical playing style :laugh:

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
are you looking at just stats? I don't think he has had 1 bad game yet. guy just can't finish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad