LW Taylor Hall (2010, 1st overall, EDM)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
How about Tavares/Duchene/Kane/Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin. All top offesive players for their teams in their rookie seasons. Heck even Stamkos was only behind Vinny/Marty. Doughty was also the second highest scoring defensman on his team.

To suggest Hall wouldn't be the second best offensive player on the Oilers is laughable.

Hall>>>Gagner. Anyone who has watched OHL hockey the past few years will tell you this without a doubt.

The year before Kane scored 72pts as a rookie Chicago's leading scorer was Martin Havlat with 57pts. So you theory goes straight out the window there.

Hall IMO is more NHL ready than Tavares/Duchene/Stamkos IMO. His speed and conditioning are phenominal and with back to back Memorial Cup runs under his belt he will not likely hit the rookie wall like many others.

I agree, even if we're talking Hall as a rookie vs Gagner entering his 4th season. Hall is a better skater than 80% of the current NHLers (if not more). He has an NHL shot and release, above NHL average stick-handling. I see no reason why he can't match what Kane did as a rookie given they have similar skill sets, but Hall is bigger physically while playing a bigger game.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
this has probably been asked hundreds of times, but what is that stupid thing taylor hall wears around his neck? i've never seen anyone wear one of these, and i've been playing hockey for almost 20 years. it really bothers me and i dont know why

trexall*

Didn't Hall Zip around the ice in a time of 13.6 something seconds a few years back in the OHL skills competiton. How many NHL'ers can boast that. 4? 5? ..maybe. Hall is already a better skater then at least 95% of the NHL. He has to put on more weight as he has good height at 6'1. Duchesne is a good young player, but he is not Hall. Back to back Memorial cups, and Memorial cup MVP awards is just sick. Scary part is that he might not even be the fastest player on the Oilers. Paajarvi, and Cogliano might be faster. Oilers should be playing at warp speed very soon!

R S

Sep 18, 2006
this has probably been asked hundreds of times, but what is that stupid thing taylor hall wears around his neck? i've never seen anyone wear one of these, and i've been playing hockey for almost 20 years. it really bothers me and i dont know why

:help:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Seriously? When I was playing it was mandatory.

wasn't mandatory for us, and i've seen people wear neck protectors before, but not like the one he has. he wears that bauer thing that just looks like he wrapped a piece of fabric around his neck. it doesn't look like it bares any protection whatsoever. when i played, the neck protectors players wore were usually a full pad that got tucked under your jersey and had a collar that stuck out the top.

nowayguy

Maybe Next Year
May 31, 2009
I agree, even if we're talking Hall as a rookie vs Gagner entering his 4th season. Hall is a better skater than 80% of the current NHLers (if not more). He has an NHL shot and release, above NHL average stick-handling. I see no reason why he can't match what Kane did as a rookie given they have similar skill sets, but Hall is bigger physically while playing a bigger game.

Except Hall lacks two of Kane's greatest traits, his elusiveness and his stick handling. They're really not comparable at all at this point. Kane came into the league with a much better offensive game then every rookie in recent memory other than Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
Except Hall lacks two of Kane's greatest traits, his elusiveness and his stick handling. They're really not comparable at all at this point. Kane came into the league with a much better offensive game then every rookie in recent memory other than Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin.
Apples and oranges. Hall doesn't rely on elusiveness to put up points.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
How about Tavares/Duchene/Kane/Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin. All top offesive players for their teams in their rookie seasons. Heck even Stamkos was only behind Vinny/Marty. Doughty was also the second highest scoring defensman on his team.

To suggest Hall wouldn't be the second best offensive player on the Oilers is laughable.

Hall>>>Gagner. Anyone who has watched OHL hockey the past few years will tell you this without a doubt.

The year before Kane scored 72pts as a rookie Chicago's leading scorer was Martin Havlat with 57pts. So you theory goes straight out the window there.

Hall IMO is more NHL ready than Tavares/Duchene/Stamkos IMO. His speed and conditioning are phenominal and with back to back Memorial Cup runs under his belt he will not likely hit the rookie wall like many others.

Tiny detail but Duchene wasn't the Avs top scorer last year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tiny detail but Duchene wasn't the Avs top scorer last year.

And Malkin wasn't the Pens' in his rookie year, either.

I think what he meant was they were top offensive players (ie. regular contributors to their team's offense), not necessarily the top offensive player.

Also, you can tell who follows junior hockey and who follows the stats page of junior hockey. It's pretty obvious most who simply go to HockeyDB.com and do a search for player stats to compare players never (or at least rarely) saw these players actually play in junior.

It's a cliche, but in this case it applies. There's more to hockey than what the stats tell you.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
And Malkin wasn't the Pens' in his rookie year, either.

I think what he meant was they were top offensive players (ie. regular contributors to their team's offense), not necessarily the top offensive player.

Also, you can tell who follows junior hockey and who follows the stats page of junior hockey. It's pretty obvious most who simply go to HockeyDB.com and do a search for player stats to compare players never (or at least rarely) saw these players actually play in junior.

It's a cliche, but in this case it applies. There's more to hockey than what the stats tell you.

Yeah now that I look at it thats probably what he meant.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Gagner put up 49 points with the Oilers, anyone that doesn't think Hall can beat that is kidding themselves. 60 is realistic and could easily be more.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
Gagner put up 49 points with the Oilers, anyone that doesn't think Hall can beat that is kidding themselves. 60 is realistic and could easily be more.

While I tend to agree, that Hall should do better than Gagner, it's not necessarily going to happen. Every player develops differently. Joe Thornton put up 7 points in his rookie season to Samsanov's 47 (2 players at the same age, playing in the same season for the same team), yet there's absolutely no discussion as to who's better. I'll be kind of disappointed if Hall doesn't break 50 (or at least 40), but it doesn't mean he won't be good.

Oilking83

Jan 14, 2009
Oil Country
I think he'll get some where between 25-30 goals and 55-60 points if he's playing on the top line with Hemsky and first powerplay unit. I'm sure it's already been asked but why do a lot of people add an s to Duchene's name? Is that some sort of inside joke that I'm not getting?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad