LW Taylor Hall (2010, 1st overall, EDM)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
We are spoiled by the Malkins, Ovies and Crosbys of the world. Taylor Hall is taking normal development steps, ne need to send him down.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
We are spoiled by the Malkins, Ovies and Crosbys of the world. Taylor Hall is taking normal development steps, ne need to send him down.

pretty much. everyone thinks the top few picks every year should be putting up 80+ points. halls only 18 and his time will come.

oveberg89

Oct 26, 2010
windsor ontario
No chance. Change the title, it's misleading.

What does Taylor have to accomplish in the OHL? Back to back memorial cup MVP's isn't enough? What does it do for his developement? Hall has actually been pretty good in all the games so far this season, he's snake bit.

i dont think they will send him back but he isint playing good has a point what taylors doing wrong is he skating with his head down just waiting for the puck he did these things last year in windsor thats why they should send him back and a 3rd mem cup it would be great for us

Last edited:

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
i dont think they will send him back but he isint playing good has a point what taylors doing wrong is he skating with his head down just waiting for the puck he did these things last year in windsor thats why they should send him back and a 3rd mem cup it would be great for us

So they should send him back so he can keep his head down more, thus making it more of a habit? They should send him back so some OHL team inwhich they have no affiliation can win another Memorial Cup?

:facepalm:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
To be honest Hall and some other rookies show why there is a huge problem with the agreement between the NHL and the CHL. Hall might not be ready for the Show, but the guy has dominated juniors for 3 years, he should have the right to play in the AHL to develop. A year in Junior does him no good, and keeping him in the NHL because the only option is too send him to the OHL, could damage him. An amazing talent I think he will eventually breakthrough. While everyone said Malkins, Ovechkins and Crosbys spoiled us, which is true, I honestly believed he would make a similar transition to Patrick Kane, who came in right away and was a 70 point player. I understand Tavares and Stamkos couldn't do that, but I thought with his offensive skills and speed, on top of playing a less demanding position would allow him to excel.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
To be honest Hall and some other rookies show why there is a huge problem with the agreement between the NHL and the CHL. Hall might not be ready for the Show, but the guy has dominated juniors for 3 years, he should have the right to play in the AHL to develop. A year in Junior does him no good, and keeping him in the NHL because the only option is too send him to the OHL, could damage him. An amazing talent I think he will eventually breakthrough. While everyone said Malkins, Ovechkins and Crosbys spoiled us, which is true, I honestly believed he would make a similar transition to Patrick Kane, who came in right away and was a 70 point player. I understand Tavares and Stamkos couldn't do that, but I thought with his offensive skills and speed, on top of playing a less demanding position would allow him to excel.

Keep him in NHL over 9 games, then loan him to a European club. This has been done with European draft picks, but is it possible (rules) to do that with North Americans?

victor

Sep 6, 2003
I amazed by the comments from people who clearly haven't been watching him play with Edmonton in the NHL.

The local media's (albeit slanted) take:
"He didn’t score a goal. Didn’t get an assist. And was a minus one.

But Taylor Hall was the most dominant player on the ice.

And the game he played Thursday night at Rexall Place against the Minnesota Wild should shut up the lunatic fringe.

While he was the second star because ex-Oiler Kyle Brodziak scored two goals and because the Wild won the hockey game, in his fifth game as an NHL pro, the No. 1 pick in the draft was the best player on the ice. Period."

(source: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Jones/2010/10/22/15788811.html)

Is he getting the points of Eberle or Pajarrvi? No - but he's certainly in the mix. Eberle has clearly been the best of the three, but Hall is showing that he belongs.

"He's going to be here all year unless somebody tells me otherwise," said Renney. "That's a conversation you'd have down the road if, in fact, there was something that seems consistent in his game that really prevents him from moving forward. I'm not there."

Looking at the postings of Oiler fans, they're not there as well.

Infinite Vision*

Yeah I've seen three Edmonton games this year and he was the best player in the game on both teams in two of them. One of them he didn't even register a point, had more chances than anyone though. I actually didn't see a lot of him before the NHL but wow he's actually been dominant at times in the games I've seen. I knew all about his speed and shot but didn't realize how good his puck control and passing was.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Nope - he should stay with the Oilers. He has to learn the NHL game eventually. The only way I'd want him sent down is if he looked totally lost out there. Although his stat line isn't great, he hasn't looked out of place in any game I've watched. Keep him with the big club.

drew1234

Feb 6, 2008
Toronto

How were we spoiled with malkin and ovechkin? They werent in the nhl at 18. Lockout year. And Malkin didnt come til another year after ovechkin so you cant compare them to Hall. Crosby ok. we were spoiled .

But look at Stamkos / Duchene etc. He will be fine. let him get used to the speed and the game at the nhl level. He will shine.. it may be this season or next but he has nothing left to prove at the OHL. So this is the only logical step. Aslong as hes not a liability on the ice then keep playing him at the nhl level.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Keep him in NHL over 9 games, then loan him to a European club. This has been done with European draft picks, but is it possible (rules) to do that with North Americans?

But why? He's showing he belongs in the NHL.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This thread is a prime example of someone looking at a stats page to determine whether a player is struggling or not. Hall's production isn't there yet, but he's hardly struggling. From the games I've seen, he looks good out there. IMO, all it'll take is for him to get a 2 point game, or to notch a couple of goals, and the floodgates will open.

And besides, as others have pointed out there's nothing for him to gain by going back to Windsor. He's already won two Memorial Cups, two Memorial Cup MVP awards, co-won the OHL scoring title, and played for the World Juniors. There's really nothing left for him at the junior level.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
He made some minor adjustments at the start of the year....like shortening his shifts and coming a little further back in our zone, and is now polaying very well

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I love when people look at stats 7 games into the season without actually watching the player play and make assumptions about the players' performance.
Sure, Hall has no goals so far but he has been one of the most dangerous players on the ice in at least 4 of those games and i would say that he was borderline incredible in a few of those games specifically the 1st game against Calgary and the most recent game against Minnesota (ask Minnesota fans about that one, they know).

He just needs to get his timing down but he is clearly NHL ready and once he scores that first goal, they will likely come in bunches when he relaxes a bit. He's doing just fine and going back to the OHL will do nothing for his development.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Well the Oilers will save ~2.5M in performance bonuses if Hall stays in the NHL and doesnt light it up.

There is 0 reason for him to go back to juniors. He has nothing to work on. I am not sure how the rules work but can the Oilers still let him play at the WJHC ?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
No! I think he'll be successful if he follows on Stamkos' footsteps. First year will be a learning experience, may have struggles, but it will make him a better player.

He'll be a stud. Just needs to get stronger.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Well the Oilers will save ~2.5M in performance bonuses if Hall stays in the NHL and doesnt light it up.

There is 0 reason for him to go back to juniors. He has nothing to work on. I am not sure how the rules work but can the Oilers still let him play at the WJHC ?

Yeah Moller played in the WJC.

If the Oilers are bottom feeders and he's still not worth being up they may lend him.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
There isn't much for him to learn at junior at this point. If he is still slumping around Xmas they might send him to the world JRs

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I posted this in another thread, but will post it again here:

Post after post I see nothing but praise for 2008 1st overall pick Steven Stamkos, and it's deserved, he's a great player. I also see tonnes posts with people quite negative about 2010 1st overall pick Taylor Hall. These people, IMO, expect WAY too much out of an 18 year old rookie. How short are your memories? Here's how Stamkos' career started:

First 7 games: 0 points, -3
First 17 games: 2g, 1a, -8
First 40 games: 4g, 9a, -11

I can almost guarantee that many of the people currently downtalking Hall are the same ones who were calling Stamkos a bust 40 games into his career. Rookies take time to develop, I don't see how anyone can watch Hall and not see the massive potential, he's got incredible raw tools, like all 18 year old rookies he's just not a finished product.

Oilers should let him ride it out. Anyone who expected either Hall or Seguin to win the Calder this season, probably hasn't realized that over the past 20 seasons a player who was just drafted has only won the Calder 2 times over the past 20 years (Samsonov and P. Kane).

Hall is getting some chances, but is still learning. He'll be fine.

Of the big 3 for the Oilers, I did expect Eberle to have the best rookie season.

Clownpipe*

Just drop it already. That will never happen with a NA player. As has been mentioned, Hall's had some pretty good games lately and will find the scoresheet eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad