LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
At the olympics he scored 3 goals vs Sweden, 2 vs Finland, 1 vs USA, 1 vs Latvia. So he was scoring against really good hockey teams. And even teams like Denmark, Kazakhstan at the WHC. They have players from top eu leagues ... KHL, Sweden. Finland .... Its a men's hockey. Much difficult compare to junior hockey. And honestly, you can discredit so many 18yo players who played at the WHC. Laine scored 12 points 7+5 .... He had only 1 assist vs TOP countries (USA, Canada 2x, Russia). Eichel similar. Btw, Slaf has better hands and shot than both Wright and Cooley.
perhaps you see this and are impressed. 3 of the goals were in lopsided loses to Finland and Sweden. he got 2 in the 4-0 win vs Sweden and another one in the win vs USA. My grandmother could score against Latvia. This was not top level quality since no NHLer was there. He had 0 assists. think about it Farrell who was a 4th round pick was one of the better players in Olympics and WHC. I like Farrell but he is not 1OA material. Slak's Liiga stats are the real measure on his play and it is less than spectacular 0.3PPG with a lofty 5 goals in 33 games. The fact that he only played 33 games is another flag compared to Wright who played over 60 plus playoffs. We have no idea how Slak will perform in a real North American schedule on smaller ice. We will see how he does at the world juniors this summer compared to Wright.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
perhaps you see this and are impressed. 3 of the goals were in lopsided loses to Finland and Sweden. he got 2 in the 4-0 win vs Sweden and another one in the win vs USA. My grandmother could score against Latvia. This was not top level quality since no NHLer was there. He had 0 assists. think about it Farrell who was a 4th round pick was one of the better players in Olympics and WHC. I like Farrell but he is not 1OA material. Slak's Liiga stats are the real measure on his play and it is less than spectacular 0.3PPG with a lofty 5 goals in 33 games. The fact that he only played 33 games is another flag compared to Wright who played over 60 plus playoffs. We have no idea how Slak will perform in a real North American schedule on smaller ice. We will see how he does at the world juniors this summer compared to Wright.
So is it good to score against Sweden or not?.... Good grief. Habs fans have lost it. These Ferrell reachs are beyond comprehension. Who on earth would suggest that Farrell is first overall material he is 3 years older, born in 2001. Slafkovsky is 6'4 215 with a wild motor, skating, shot and hands. Scouting is about projecting at the next level while evaluating current performance. Ferrell is 5'9 and didnt win MVP of the tournament. When you say things like 'my grandmother could score against latvia'. But then pump a player playing against jr players that would never sniff that level of competition is unfathomable. Just stop the insanity in Montreal. I honestly do not understand why you cant look at all these players critically and equally. The insecurities are insane. Come to grips with the fact your team could be picking this player Wright Cooley or one of the D men.

As a Slovak and obviously a fan of Slaf, I really hope he does not got first, would bring unnecessary expectations on him and I don't feel like Montreal is the team for him. I much rather see him go 2-5 and beat any low expectations some might have have.
As a sens fan I hope he doesnt go to Montreal too but for completely different reasons.

Last edited:

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
So is it good to score against Sweden or not?.... Good grief. Habs fans have lost it. These Ferrell reachs are beyond comprehension. Who on earth would suggest that Farrell is first overall material he is 3 years old born in 2001. Slafkovsky is 6'4 215 with a wild motor, skating, shot and hands. Scouting is about projecting at the next level while evaluating current performance. Ferrell is 5'9 and didnt win MVP of the tournament. When you say things like 'my grandmother could score against latvia'. But then pump a player playing against jr players that would never sniff that level of competition is unfathomable. Just stop the insanity in Montreal. I honestly do not understand why you cant look at all these players critically and equally. The insecurities are insane. Come to grips with the fact your team could be picking this player Wright Cooley or one of the D men.

As a sens fan I hope he doesnt go to Montreal too but for completely different reasons.
a couple of goals against a less than elite Swedish (no NHLers!) does not make someone a 1OA. What is insane is saying that a guy who got 5 goals and 5 assists in HIS league should be first pick. He was 0.3PPG compared to Wright at 1.5PPG??? Really???? I understand you are a fan but your bias prevents you from being objective on the overall numbers. We shall see soon enough and better yet at the WJC.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
a couple of goals against a less than elite Swedish (no NHLers!) does not make someone a 1OA. What is insane is saying that a guy who got 5 goals and 5 assists in HIS league should be first pick. He was 0.3PPG compared to Wright at 1.5PPG??? Really???? I understand you are a fan but your bias prevents you from being objective on the overall numbers. We shall see soon enough and better yet at the WJC.
You just said that scoring against sweden in a loss was worthless because they lost. Then scoring against sweden because they won was worthless in the same tournament. How can someone using logic come to this conclusion exactly.

If you dont understand the difference in competition of the OHL and the Olympics and WHC we dont really need to discuss this any longer. Cherry picking stats doesnt project a realistic comparison either.

Can you answer one question for me? Why is it that you are so dead set on arguing one way or another before the pick has even been made? I cant wrap my head around it.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
The fact that he only played 33 games is another flag compared to Wright who played over 60 plus playoffs. We have no idea how Slak will perform in a real North American schedule on smaller ice.
Slafkovsky played more than 80 games this season so I really don't know where are these type of comments coming from. We saw him on smaller ice at Olympics or at WJC-20 and he seemed even more comfortable as usual there.

For every user who is asking when was the last time that player with limited league production like this went in top 3 I could ask from different angle. When was the last time that player with so exceptional international performances among men like this didn't go in top 3? This year's draft isn't really top heavy so it's obvious Slaf is worthy top 3 pick whether the mostly Montreal fans like it or not.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
As a Slovak and obviously a fan of Slaf, I really hope he does not got first, would bring unnecessary expectations on him and I don't feel like Montreal is the team for him. I much rather see him go 2-5 and beat any low expectations some might have have.
I agree. I think New Jersey would be a great fit for him, seeing their current roster make-up, but really anywhere but Montreal would be good. Saying this as a Slovak fan and a Bruins fan, it would be difficult to cheer for him, if he played for the Habs.

Reactions: severian and tobu

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

So when "should" he score to make it count? Only in even games? :huh:

Latvia D-core is KHL level. You dont know about level of Latvia so dont comment. Canada could hardly beat Latvia in Olympics 2010, best on best tournament.

Again, why do people like you have so hard to understand that Slafs coach in Liiga prefers older guys over younger?

OHL is not even close to the quality of Liiga. You cant compare like that.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
So when "should" he score to make it count? Only in even games? :huh:

Latvia D-core is KHL level. You dont know about level of Latvia so dont comment. Canada could hardly beat Latvia in Olympics 2010, best on best tournament.

Again, why do people like you have so hard to understand that Slafs coach in Liiga prefers older guys over younger?

OHL is not even close to the quality of Liiga. You cant compare like that.
and from his stats Slakovsky barely cracked the roster....10points! WOW! You remember my grandmother?

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
@Dirtyf1ghter will you admit now, with Slafkovsky’s success, that he is on another level compared to Dvorsky? The gap between Slafkovsky and Nemec is bigger than the gap between Dvorsky and Molnar or Ciernik. All great prospects, but there’s levels to this. Let’s keep in mind development paths as well, the HGC was a long time ago

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
These threads go downhill after the lottery, every year.
There should be a rule that if you haven’t viewed a thread before the lottery you can’t post in it afterwards.

@Dirtyf1ghter will you admit now, with Slafkovsky’s success, that he is on another level compared to Dvorsky? The gap between Slafkovsky and Nemec is bigger than the gap between Dvorsky and Molnar or Ciernik. All great prospects, but there’s levels to this. Let’s keep in mind development paths as well, the HGC was a long time ago
Do you think Dvorsky is a better prospect than Nemec?

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
what a polarizing prospect.

Since 2005/06 amongst U18 forwards to play in the Liiga, he ranks 16th (min 30 games) in PPG during that time frame surrounded by names like Kupari, Hirvonen, Kapanen which seems pretty underwhelming but then you look at how his international track record stacks up using the same time frame (2005/06 - present)

- World Cup - 2nd in U18 PPG behind Laine
- International play - 2nd in U18 PPG behind Laine

on top of the dominant performances at the Hlinka tournament and the Olympics.

Such a hard player to get a good read on haha

Last edited:

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
I don't wanna doubt Slafkofsky's talent, but Olympics was full of scrubs. Farrell's 6 (3-3)points in 4 games doesn't make him a NHL caliber, just like Slafovsky's 7 (7-0) in 7 games doesn't make him a sure future star.
WC was a bit stronger competition, and there Slafkofsky earned his points vs France, Italy, Kazahkstan, Switzerland, Denmark.
Not bad, but in 2 games where Slovaks were crushed by the "big guys" he was easily shut down.
It's still good for a 18 yrs old kid to score points on WC no matter what's the competition, but let's not exaggerate.
He'll probably end behind Wright, Cooley, Nemec and Jiricek.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
what a polarizing prospects.

Since 2005/06 amongst U18 forwards to play in the Liiga, he ranks 16th (min 30 games) in PPG during that time frame surrounded by names like Kupari, Hirvonen, Kapanen which seems pretty underwhelming but then you look at how his international track record stacks up using the same time frame (2005/06 - present)

- World Cup - 2nd in U18 PPG behind Laine
- International play - 2nd in U18 PPG behind Laine

on top of the dominant performances at the Hlinka tournament and the Olympics.

Such a hard player to get a good read on haha
He’s a very big boy who is only now really starting t9 get used t9 his size. He’s got not going to get better as he matures.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I don't wanna doubt Slafkofsky's talent, but Olympics was full of scrubs. Farrell's 6 (3-3)points in 4 games doesn't make him a NHL caliber, just like Slafovsky's 7 (7-0) in 7 games doesn't make him a sure future star.
WC was a bit stronger competition, and there Slafkofsky earned his points vs France, Italy, Kazahkstan, Switzerland, Denmark.
Not bad, but in 2 games where Slovaks were crushed by the "big guys" he was easily shut down.
It's still good for a 18 yrs old kid to score points on WC no matter what's the competition, but let's not exaggerate.
He'll probably end behind Wright, Cooley, Nemec and Jiricek.
And how is OHL not full of scrubs? Olympics and WHC is higher level than OHL.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
OHL is full of 16 and 17 year led boys.
IMO Stafloski will be an NHL superstar who every team (who had a chance to) wishes they drafted.
His unique skills, qualities, and size just cannot be taught.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Olympics and WHC without best NHL players is a dog's breakfast.

OHL is full of 16 and 17 year led boys.
IMO Stafloski will be an NHL superstar who every team (who had a chance to) wishes they drafted.
His unique skills, qualities, and size just cannot be taught.
Yes 5 goals in 33 games is amazing! He should give lessons on beating goalies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Olympics and WHC without best NHL players is a dog's breakfast.

Yes 5 goals in 33 games is amazing! He should give lessons on beating goalies.
I’m guessing, from the “Guy” photo, you’re a Habs’ fan. You do realize your team might actually select Stafloski, right? I don’t think they should, but they might.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Does this mean that for example Sean Farrell is a real deal? Or that Marry Beniers is meh since he didn't excel at scrub Olympic? Game sample is simple too small to be of any reference.
Like I said, I don't doubt Slafkovsky's talent, but using Olympics is pointess.
Liiga is much better reference. He's doing good, but many kids who turned out to be top NHL players outscored him in Liiga big time at 18.
Everything is possible, but he'll probably end up drafted 5th, or maybe No4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad