LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don’t think a dozen posts that just repeat the name “Adam Tambellini” as an inside joke enjoyed solely by poster functions as criticism per se, these threads are going off the rails quite a bit now.

Well yeah that one is dumb but in general I don't think it's awful

Reactions: Guttersniped

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
In what universe is any amount of points against children more impressive than 10 points against men? :loony: With the bonus of being named Olympic MVP while underaged?

By the way, Slafkovský played against children in their league this season, too, scoring 18 points in 11 games, which is 1.64 PPG, again outperforming Wright with his 1.49 PPG.

I mean NHLe exists to try and normalize production across leagues and Wright’s production was more impressive. The OHL is also a far better league than the Finnish J20 so there needs to be a larger PPG edge there for Slafkovsky’s to be more impressive

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I mean NHLe exists to try and normalize production across leagues and Wright’s production was more impressive. The OHL is also a far better league than the Finnish J20 so there needs to be a larger PPG edge there for Slafkovsky’s to be more impressive

High scoring yes, has more players with more individual skill yes, far better league?.... no.

Goaltending, defending, coaching is far better in Finland top junior league what in the OHL.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Ad a Devils fan Slafkovsky is who I hope we take . In a big way .
However I’m still unsure about what he will be in the NHL . I just don’t want to pass on him and him turn into a Nash type player ( very damn good) .
Yet I still have apprehension that he could end up topping out like a Zacha or Puljujarvi. Which to me would be disappointing . Nothing against those players and I’m not making direct statistic comparisons , just examples of bigger bodied players that were drafted fairly high and did not really dominate ( yet?)

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This was so embarrassing to read through. Really one of the worst attempts I’ve seen in all my years on HF. Better luck next time, man.

Eh it was every bit as terrible as Eye of Ras argument which is the point, I'm guessing.

The "Slafkovsky is the next Jagr because WC production" crowd is straight embarrassing too. Considering they still have no answer for why Kakko isn't the next Jagr despite nearly identical WC stats and vastly superior Liiga stats and nearly the same physical build.

They also want to throw out his Liiga year as relevant because frankly there's historically few first rounders from Liiga with the paltry PPG Slafkovsky has. He wasn't even limited by his size, in fact he should have thrived to the point we are arguing whether his PPG is projectsble due already being man sized.

There's no intellectually honest arguments happening on Slafkovsky these days. I posted a very neutral scouting video from YouTube on Slaf which paints everything fairly and of course it garners no traction. Instead we get posts about Tambellini, Kerins, Peter f***ing Forsberg (lol) and armchair psychological evaluations of a fan base.

The last month before a draft is such trash takes its embarrassing.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
In what universe is any amount of points against children more impressive than 10 points against men? :loony: With the bonus of being named Olympic MVP while underaged?

By the way, Slafkovský played against children in their league this season, too, scoring 18 points in 11 games, which is 1.64 PPG, again outperforming Wright with his 1.49 PPG.
In universe called NHL ice hockey.
That's the universe in which biggest stars played against children before they joined NHL. You don't believe me? Check NHL drafts and see for yourself from where 90% of Top 10 picks are coming.
No 3 pick form the Liiga in 2018, scored 10 goals vs men at 17 and came to the league not knowing how to skate properly, how to shoot, how to defend, and how to stay on his skates after being hit. Now you can see him doing nothing in the 4th line.
No 2 pick form the Liiga in 2019, scored 22 goals vs men and is on his way to become a big bust in NHL.
No 4 pick form the Liiga in 2016 scored 13 goals vs men and is still struggling to make an imprint at 24.
Like I wrote before, I don't doubt Slafkovsky's talent, but in this draft there are only 2 names posting as No1 candidates - Wright and Cooley, with Wright being a big favorite for No1 spot.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
hmm, @SuzukiSZN is right, you do sound insecure.
yes dr psych. you can deconvolute my personality from my statement where i say that Wright is better then the other 2??? Dozens of scouts and hundreds of posters have said the exact same thing for months. I would seriously question those who continually claim that Cooley or Slak are better. You should apply those cosmic mind reading skills to SuzukiSZN and Goldenhands. Do i owe you anything for the consult? e-transfer?

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
yes dr psych. you can deconvolute my personality from my statement where i say that Wright is better then the other 2??? Dozens of scouts and hundreds of posters have said the exact same thing for months. I would seriously question those who continually claim that Cooley or Slak are better. You should apply those cosmic mind reading skills to SuzukiSZN and Goldenhands. Do i owe you anything for the consult? e-transfer?
Nope, this reply was much better then any payment could ever be.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
The thing I still wonder is, where should Slafkovsky play next season? Liiga or AHL?
He is a big boy, and his playstyle and skill set is probably more suited for smaller ice. He could probably have more individual success in AHL.
But on the other hand, TPS has made the Liiga finals 2 years in a row and have a very good head coach next season too in Jussi Ahokas. I think playing in a winning team with a good coach is also very beneficial.

Reactions: Ippenator

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
The thing I still wonder is, where should Slafkovsky play next season? Liiga or AHL?
He is a big boy, and his playstyle and skill set is probably more suited for smaller ice. He could probably have more individual success in AHL.
But on the other hand, TPS has made the Liiga finals 2 years in a row and have a very good head coach next season too in Jussi Ahokas. I think playing in a winning team with a good coach is also very beneficial.
I'd send him to the AHL where the team that drafted him has more control over his ice time and development.

Reactions: Takurcitee

Takurcitee

Apr 22, 2022
Also tps plays defensive hockey so he can't fully do what he does best that's why his numbers were so low compared to nt where he could do what he wanted to do so I hope he goes ahl route

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Eh it was every bit as terrible as Eye of Ras argument which is the point, I'm guessing.

The "Slafkovsky is the next Jagr because WC production" crowd is straight embarrassing too. Considering they still have no answer for why Kakko isn't the next Jagr despite nearly identical WC stats and vastly superior Liiga stats and nearly the same physical build.

They also want to throw out his Liiga year as relevant because frankly there's historically few first rounders from Liiga with the paltry PPG Slafkovsky has. He wasn't even limited by his size, in fact he should have thrived to the point we are arguing whether his PPG is projectsble due already being man sized.

There's no intellectually honest arguments happening on Slafkovsky these days. I posted a very neutral scouting video from YouTube on Slaf which paints everything fairly and of course it garners no traction. Instead we get posts about Tambellini, Kerins, Peter f***ing Forsberg (lol) and armchair psychological evaluations of a fan base.

The last month before a draft is such trash takes its embarrassing.
Montreal fans keep bringing up that Olympics and WHC was low quality, i only brought up that OHL is even less so, which is a fact. If Slaf is gonna dismissed because he got outscored by Tambellini and Ferell then Wright should be dissmised for getting outscored by the likes of Rory Kerins.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I'd send him to the AHL where the team that drafted him has more control over his ice time and development.
Slafkovsky seems to have developed just fine during his 3 years with TPS. Probably would get more ice time and opportunity next season with them.
Also tps plays defensive hockey so he can't fully do what he does best that's why his numbers were so low compared to nt where he could do what he wanted to do so I hope he goes ahl route
I don't really buy this excuse. Is TPS coach telling Slafkovsky "Juraj, don't score. We play defensive style, so you're not allowed to score points."
Playing "defensive style" didn't stop Markus Nurmi from scoring 19 points in 18 games and getting an NHL contract with Preds. Or Mikael Pyyhtiä from scoring 21 goals during regular season and getting an NHL contract with Blue Jackets.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Montreal fans keep bringing up that Olympics and WHC was low quality, i only brought up that OHL is even less so, which is a fact. If Slaf is gonna dismissed because he got outscored by Tambellini and Ferell then Wright should be dissmised for getting outscored by the likes of Rory Kerins.
Because those tournaments are crap lol OHL isn't spectacular but I'm not the one stat watching and pretending that points in the IIHF Against Men Invitational are tipping the scales in his favour.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He played fine with TPS, especially in the second half. Too much analysis paralysis with the top kids. Any team who drafts Slajkovsky will be overjoyed and brag like hell when he rips up the WJC this year or next. IIRC Rantanen with Assat had a very quiet 1st half, went to the WJC and impressed, then returned to Assat and was a real leader. Of course, Puljujarvi also had a slow start and a great 2nd half in 2016, so there are examples for both sides of the argument.

IQ, vision, hands are all plus-plus for his age. Trent Mann was on TSN 1200 in Ottawa and basically said that Wright is not a lock to go 1st OA, which could mean he's not 1OA on their board, and he also said that the mood around the rinks from other scouts is that Wright is not a slam dunk to go 1st OA and it's too close to call. Not agreeing or disagreeing, just putting that out there.

The only concern I would have with taking Slafkovsky over Wright is based off the Hughes-Kakko situation that was so close in 2019. People started nitpicking Jack's game (size, shot) after Kakko shredded the WC, and look at both of them now. My gut keeps telling me to stick with Wright because he's a center and will be better long-term, but my gut also tells me it's 50/50 he goes 1st OA.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Because those tournaments are crap lol OHL isn't spectacular but I'm not the one stat watching and pretending that points in the IIHF Against Men Invitational are tipping the scales. That's your argument. Kakko > Hughes after all!
OHL is crap aswell. So that argument does not hold.
Lafrenière, is struggling, Wright is by no means a sure thing.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
OHL is crap aswell. So that argument does not hold.
Lafrenière, is struggling, Wright is by no means a sure thing.
but I didn't say Wright is better because his OHL scoring is good. I said you can't learn anything about NHL projectability by comparing scoring at an amateur and an exhibition tournament otherwise the annual Cervenka, Gusev, Shipachov, etc. etc. etc. players would translate perfectly well to the NHL which we all know doesn't happen.

People should stop holding up these tournaments as definitive proof of future excellence and just take them as a nod to a good performance by a young player. Same for AHL points by young players, or SHL. or any league except the NHL.

I worry when players don't produce in them, but I don't get hyped when they crush it.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
but I didn't say Wright is better because his OHL scoring is good. I said you can't learn anything about NHL projectability by comparing scoring at an amateur and an exhibition tournament otherwise the annual Cervenka, Gusev, Shipachov, etc. etc. etc. players would translate perfectly well to the NHL which we all know doesn't happen.
Olympics and WHC is not amateur, it makes no sense why so many people from NA think that european hockey is amateur, its profesional icehockey. OHL is not better than Liiga or Olympics.

Also there is full of juniors in OHL, WHL etc that dominated in this league and yet never turns out to tbe good NHLers.

Reactions: MBrodeur

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Olympics and WHC is not amateur, it makes no sense why so many people from NA think that european hockey is amateur, its profesional icehockey. OHL is not better than Liiga or Olympics.
Olympics is absolutely an amateur tournament, it's kind of the whole point of the Olympics when they don't have professional athletes competing.

Once again from the rooftops: I never said the OHL is better because I'm not making a stats based argument for any OHL player here.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Olympics is absolutely an amateur tournament, it's kind of the whole point of the Olympics when they don't have professional athletes competing.

Once again from the rooftops: I never said the OHL is better because I'm not making a stats based argument for any OHL player here.
You have no idea what you are talking about. European top leagues is not amateurs, its professional athletes. Just because NHL is better does not mean that all other leagues sucks and is amateurs.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
You have no idea what you are talking about. European top leagues is not amateurs, its professional athletes. Just because NHL is better does not mean that all other leagues sucks and is amateurs.
The olympics up until the 90s was strictly amateur athletes only. The USSR purposely classified its athletes as students and soldiers to get around this. basketball, hockey, and boxing are pretty much the only sports that have professionals and it's a relatively new thing.

Anyways, it matters little because the point stands. I wouldn't look at numbers from such a tournament and expect NHL success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad