LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
There are 2 types of people:
Those that think slaf is the next jagr
And those that think slaf is the next puljujarvi
Why can’t we meet in between and call him the next Rick Nash?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If he became current Nichushkin at 21 years old instead of taking until he’s 26 people should be overjoyed with that outcome

There are 2 types of people:
Those that think slaf is the next jagr
And those that think slaf is the next puljujarvi
Why can’t we meet in between and call him the next Rick Nash?

Rick Nash was an elite player for a long time. I think that’s a ton to ask for out of Slafkovsky

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
The only question you need to ask is: if there was a draft eligible prospect playing in the Czech Extraliga this year, putting up a point-per-game, which of the top prospects would you consider taking over him?

Nobody would even be close, and certainly not Slafkovsky
It wasn’t that way even in Jagr’s time. Ziggy Palffy scored point-per-game in his draft year in the top Czechoslovak league and was drafted in the second round. The same could happen today, teams and scouts are looking at more than just counting stats.

Reactions: zcaptain

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think Slaf and his ceiling is too hard to predict. Yes his regular season was nkt great but he was used in a checking role amd was never seen as a legit high first round prospect before that. Slaf even said after his Olympics that his role was supposed to be a bottom line checker. He started scoring and looks good and he went from there.
I think confidence and him (along with his coaches ) realized that he had more potential and he only really recognized this during his Olympic performance . I think he is just coming into his own now , and has the potential to be a good top 6 winger.
No way I see him as a Jagr type player , but potentially a legit “good” winger , possibly all star caliber but not ine of the greatest of all time like Jagr…

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
It wasn’t that way even in Jagr’s time. Ziggy Palffy scored point-per-game in his draft year in the top Czechoslovak league and was drafted in the second round. The same could happen today, teams and scouts are looking at more than just counting stats.
Palffy was barely 5’10” and a very average skater (at best), so there were going to be concerns, especially when viewing was limited due to the Iron Curtain.

I highly doubt the same would happen today lol.

Also, you are just proving my point that strong statistical performance in men’s leagues for players that age is a good predictor of NHL success.

Slafkovsky’s performance in a handful of games against weak competition at the two international tournaments doesn’t compare, and his showing in Liiga projects him as most likely a 3rd liner.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
MTL fans love coming in to this thread to lazily post negatives about Slaf so they can feel "Comfortable" taking Wright.

Its a little odd in Garbageyuk's case as he said he was feeling more okay with picking slaf because he didn't like Wrights combine interviews. Guess He's "okay" with picking a 3rd liner at 1st overall?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
MTL fans love coming in to this thread to lazily post negatives about Slaf so they can feel "Comfortable" taking Wright.

Its a little odd in Garbageyuk's case as he said he was feeling more okay with picking slaf because he didn't like Wrights combine interviews. Guess He's "okay" with picking a 3rd liner at 1st overall?
I’m not too excited about any of the top 5, tbh. There are question marks and/or red flags with all of them, more so than most drafts. This draft is pretty much unanimously considered weak.

I’ll live with whatever decision the Habs make. I don’t really care who they pick, and I’m glad I don’t have to make the decision.

The difference between you and I though, is that I don’t get my feelings hurt when someone doesn’t like a prospect I’ll never meet as much as I do, and I’m not all over the main boards in every prospect and draft thread pushing a specific agenda.

By the way, if you have an issue with someone’s opinion, address them directly instead talking shit about them in your post in hopes that they won’t see it so that you can avoid having your positions challenged.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnapVirus

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
I am not a fan of the Jagr comparisons. Slaf can't be expected to live up to that. On the other hand, saying that Slaf will most likely end up as a 3rd liner is also a bit silly. I mean, it could happen, but that's not what you expect from a top 10 pick (which he was projected as even before the Olympics).

I am a Slovak, so I look at Slaf from a Slovak perspective and I have never seen a better prospect from our country. As far as Slovak players go, he reminds me most of Marian Hossa. I think becoming the next Hossa for Slovakia is a realistic target for Slaf. I kinda hope he will become the best Slovak forward since Peter Stastny. Our hockey desperately needs for Slaf to really fulfill his potential, which I believe is high.

Reactions: degustator

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I just think that we are just seeing the beginning stages of how good Slaf could become. Other prospects I fell are somewhat easier to projext how they can develop but with Slaf , I feel that he just started to realize for himself what he is or could be capable of.
Having said that , I don’t think at this very moment he is one of the top 5 best forwards in the draft , but I think he could very well be in time . Plus he also brings other elements to his game that I think will make him a very useful top 6 player.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I am not a fan of the Jagr comparisons. Slaf can't be expected to live up to that. On the other hand, saying that Slaf will most likely end up as a 3rd liner is also a bit silly. I mean, it could happen, but that's not what you expect from a top 10 pick (which he was projected as even before the Olympics).

I am a Slovak, so I look at Slaf from a Slovak perspective and I have never seen a better prospect from our country. As far as Slovak players go, he reminds me most of Marian Hossa. I think becoming the next Hossa for Slovakia is a realistic target for Slaf. I kinda hope he will become the best Slovak forward since Peter Stastny. Our hockey desperately needs for Slaf to really fulfill his potential, which I believe is high.
He’s orders of magnitude more likely to be a 3rd liner than he is to have a career anywhere near Jagr’s. The Jagr comparisons are ridiculous. That’s talk you’d expect from casual fans at the water cooler from guys who know nothing about hockey and only watch it for an excuse to drink beer.

Shane Wright could break Gretzky’s scoring records; what do you all in the Slaf/Jagr camp think about that? Yeah…ridiculous isn’t it?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I’m not too excited about any of the top 5, tbh. There are question marks and/or red flags with all of them, more so than most drafts. This draft is pretty much unanimously considered weak.

I’ll live with whatever decision the Habs make. I don’t really care who they pick, and I’m glad I don’t have to make the decision.

The difference between you and I though, is that I don’t get my feelings hurt when someone doesn’t like a prospect I’ll never meet as much as I do, and I’m not all over the main boards in every prospect and draft thread pushing a specific agenda.

By the way, if you have an issue with someone’s opinion, address them directly instead talking shit about them in your post in hopes that they won’t see it, so you can avoid having your positions challenged.
Projecting much?

How was I talking shit? are you saying that you didn't say that you were warming up to Slaf because of Wrights supposedly bad interview?

I am not afraid to have my position challenged, especially by you. Your post is either trollish or lazy. In this thread people have posted the reasons behind said low production in Liga and probably has been posted in the Habs draft thread.

It is very concerning that you think I'm leading a conspiracy on these forums by pushing an "agenda". The entire notion that anyone would do such a thing is insane. Pushing an agenda here would amount to nothing as nobody here is anywhere close to the various NHL team scouts and GMs. It would be an entire waste of time.

P.S You feelings do seem to get hurt as you cry about how I post in the next paragraph.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
He’s orders of magnitude more likely to be a 3rd liner than he is to have a career anywhere near Jagr’s. The Jagr comparisons are ridiculous. That’s talk you’d expect from casual fans at the water cooler from guys who know nothing about hockey and only watch it for an excuse to drink beer.

Shane Wright could break Gretzky’s scoring records; what do you all in the Slaf/Jagr camp think about that? Yeah…ridiculous isn’t it?
in the last couple pages only one person said he could have a career like Jagr, All the other ones were saying that they have the same STYLE of play. Saying that Slaf has a similar style does not infer that he's going to going to have Jagr's career.

take your strawman posts somewhere else.

https://thehockeywriters.com/juraj-slafkovsky-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

He’s an elite player by the boards where his puck protection ability has drawn comparisons to Jaromir Jagr.” – Western Conference Scout, Elite Prospects

Last edited:

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Projecting much?

How was I talking shit? are you saying that you didn't say that you were warming up to Slaf because of Wrights supposedly bad interview?

I am not afraid to have my position challenged, especially by you. Your post is either trollish or lazy. In this thread people have posted the reasons behind said low production in Liga and probably has been posted in the Habs draft thread.

It is very concerning that you think I'm leading a conspiracy on these forums by pushing an "agenda". The entire notion that anyone would do such a thing is insane. Pushing an agenda here would amount to nothing as nobody here is anywhere close to the various NHL team scouts and GMs. It would be an entire waste of time.

P.S You feelings do seem to get hurt as you cry about how I post in the next paragraph.
Lol conspiracy. Nowhere did I say there’s a conspiracy. I said you have an agenda. Some people cannot stand when someone else has a different opinion than them about something they feel strongly about. You are one of them.

Yes, people have posted reasons for Slaf’s lack of production and Wright’s lack of intensity. You in particular are very focused on hyping Slafkovsky and doing the opposite with Wright, and getting hostile and belligerent with anyone who doesn’t align with your own opinion. That’s an agenda.

I have criticized and questioned both, and have also recognized the possible potential of both and all the variance in possible outcomes for them. I don’t have my little fan heart set on one while simultaneously smearing the other and anyone who doesn’t love him like you.

And the “crying about how [you] post” part, I quoted you directly lol I don’t try to whine about your posting to everyone else in the thread.

So ironic how you accused me of projecting lmao. HFBoards lol, so full of characters.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
in the last couple pages only one person said he could have a career like Jagr, All the other ones were saying that they have the same STYLE of play. Saying that Slaf has a similar style does not infer that he's going to going to have Jagr's career.

take your strawman posts somewhere else.

https://thehockeywriters.com/juraj-slafkovsky-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-profile

He’s an elite player by the boards where his puck protection ability has drawn comparisons to Jaromir Jagr.” – Western Conference Scout, Elite Prospects
Got news for you buddy; it isn’t a straw man then. Just going ballistic with your agenda. Just calm down and accept that not everyone is going to like your favourite things as much as you do. And that’s ok. Tell yourself it’s ok.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Lol conspiracy. Nowhere did I say there’s a conspiracy. I said you have an agenda. Some people cannot stand when someone else has a different opinion than them about something they feel strongly about. You are one of them.

Yes, people have posted reasons for Slaf’s lack of production and Wright’s lack of intensity. You in particular are very focused on hyping Slafkovsky and doing the opposite with Wright, and getting hostile and belligerent with anyone who doesn’t align with your own opinion. That’s an agenda.

I have criticized and questioned both, and have also recognized the possible potential of both and all the variance in possible outcomes for them. I don’t have my little fan heart set on one while simultaneously smearing the other and anyone who doesn’t love him like you.

And the “crying about how [you] post” part, I quoted you directly lol I don’t try to whine about your posting to everyone else in the thread.

So ironic how you accused me of projecting lmao. HFBoards lol, so full of characters.
Strawman to turning me into an anti-Wright boogeyman! How exciting!

I haven't ever been negative about Wright. In fact the one time I posted about him on the Habs boards I was complimentary of him and GoldenHands also accused me of having an "Agenda", apparently me doing that was some ploy to make Habs fans like Wright more so Devils fans could get Slaf. :huh:

It might bruise you're ego to hear that my post was not entirely about you, It was towards the Habs fans with an "agenda" who trashing Slaf. just above you're post a Habs poster compared him to Armia.

I suggest you stop digging a hole for yourself but if you still feel the need to then please just PM me. This thread doesn't need to be derailed any longer.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Strawman to turning me into an anti-Wright boogeyman! How exciting!

I haven't ever been negative about Wright. In fact the one time I posted about him on the Habs boards I was complimentary of him and GoldenHands also accused me of having an "Agenda", apparently me doing that was some ploy to make Habs fans like Wright more so Devils fans could get Slaf. :huh:

It might bruise you're ego to hear that my post was not entirely about you, It was towards the Habs fans with an "agenda" who trashing Slaf. just above you're post a Habs poster compared him to Armia.

I suggest you stop digging a hole for yourself but if you still feel the need to then please just PM me. This thread doesn't need to be derailed any longer.
I understand completely what they mean. You are the one who sought out this rather negative exchange by whining about me and my opinions in particular. That’s belligerent. You have also resorted to insults. That’s hostility.

How about we just agree to disagree and end the discussion right here because this is not going anywhere constructive.

Have a good night.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I don’t see how a HOF career averaging 71 pts over a 1300+ game career peaking at 100 pts and being the best two way winger of his generation is “realistic”. That’s an absolute best case scenario. A “realistic optimistic” outcome is probably like a good top 6 two way winger. If absolutely everything goes right we’re looking at a guy that could be a top winger in the game but I think those are some pretty slim odds

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
I don’t see how a HOF career averaging 71 pts over a 1300+ game career peaking at 100 pts and being the best two way winger of his generation is “realistic”. That’s an absolute best case scenario. A “realistic optimistic” outcome is probably like a good top 6 two way winger. If absolutely everything goes right we’re looking at a guy that could be a top winger in the game but I think those are some pretty slim odds
So you do agree that it is possible (a best case scenario as you put it), and therefore realistic. I am not saying it will happen. I am saying it's a realistic target to aim for.

Hossa was drafted 12th overall. Was he expected to have a HOF career at the time of draft? I doubt it.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015

How is this different than the Slak fanboys going to the Wright thread and posting negatives about him?? Wright will be 1OA.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Palffy was barely 5’10” and a very average skater (at best), so there were going to be concerns, especially when viewing was limited due to the Iron Curtain.

I highly doubt the same would happen today lol.

Also, you are just proving my point that strong statistical performance in men’s leagues for players that age is a good predictor of NHL success.

Slafkovsky’s performance in a handful of games against weak competition at the two international tournaments doesn’t compare, and his showing in Liiga projects him as most likely a 3rd liner.
There was no iron curtain for almost two years at the time of his draft.

Slafkovsky being a likely third liner is a ridiculous take. That is his floor. He played 7 games at the olympics and 8 games at the WC, that is 15 games and he looked like the best player on his team for almost every game. I don't know how many fingers do you have on your hand, but for most of us, 15 is more than a handful, and if you call the Olympics or the WC weak competition, then how can you rank players who only ever played against juniors ahead of him?

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
So you do agree that it is possible (a best case scenario as you put it), and therefore realistic. I am not saying it will happen. I am saying it's a realistic target to aim for.

Hossa was drafted 12th overall. Was he expected to have a HOF career at the time of draft? I doubt it.
Hossa was perceived completely differently at the time of his draft from the player he became. He was considered a one-dimensional offensive winger. The video of his draft can be found on youtube and it is quite funny. The reporter asks Jacques Martin who I think was the HC for the Senators at the time, whether it is not concerning for him that a winger who is not known for being defensively responsible has been taken with such a high pick. Martin very wisely and prophetically replied something along the lines: "you can teach a guy to play defense, you can't teach that kind of offensive talent". Shows how tricky it is to project these 18 year old kids.

Reactions: Oneiro

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Do people forget that Slaf has had worse production in the LIGA versus Aho, KK, Laine, etc.
Yes all good players but his production was wayyyyy under those players. He produced at 2 mens tournaments on big ice, and most of his points came against weak teams with no NHL players (France , Italy , Kazakhstan, Norway, etc)

Reactions: Hisch13r

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Do people forget that Slaf has had worse production in the LIGA versus Aho, KK, Laine, etc.
Yes all good players but his production was wayyyyy under those players. He produced at 2 mens tournaments on big ice, and most of his points came against weak teams with no NHL players (France , Italy , Kazakhstan, Norway, etc)
It was on smaller ice. He didnt play vs Norway

Reactions: bert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad