LW Juraj Slafkovsky - TPS Turku, Liiga (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Wow! What a comment! There wouldn’t be any discussions on these boards, if predictions weren’t allowed.
I like to differentiate between a prediction and a "I know this with hundred percent certainty" -statement. I also make predictions and don't think there's anything wrong with making them.

I'll make an argument that you could've said "X will not be an all time great" about most all time greats before they were drafted, and it would have seemed like a safe opinion to have at the time. Which is why stating something like that seems just silly to me. It does not really invoke any sort of discussion, because there's no real reasoning behind it; There can't be, because it's an absurd statement that tries to predict the players entire career at the age of 17 or whatever.

Do you understand my point better now?

All time great = Jagr caliber player, no?

There's no way for me to know that Cooley won't break Gretzky's scoring records, but I am quite comfortable making the claim that he won't.
You're right. There's also no way for me to know if Wright will travel to colonize Mars after his hockey career, but I can make the claim that he won't. Does that make me sounds like an idiot? Yeah, it kind of does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Faterson

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Looking at these posts it is clear that the lines are drawn...Slak will either be great or not great.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I like to differentiate between a prediction and a "I know this with hundred percent certainty" -statement. I also make predictions and don't think there's anything wrong with making them.

I'll make an argument that you could've said "X will not be an all time great" about most all time greats before they were drafted, and it would have seemed like a safe opinion to have at the time. Which is why stating something like that seems just silly to me. It does not really invoke any sort of discussion, because there's no real reasoning behind it; There can't be, because it's an absurd statement that tries to predict the players entire career at the age of 17 or whatever.

Do you understand my point better now?

You're right. There's also no way for me to know if Wright will travel to colonize Mars after his hockey career, but I can make the claim that he won't. Does that make me sounds like an idiot? Yeah, it kind of does.
I don’t still see the difference with a prediction and a claim about a young player’s career. They are still predictions both of them. Maybe a difference between the tones, but the main point still stands in both cases. They are just predictions. Why does it matter how sure someone is about a prediction? It’s still just a prediction - even how sure the person might be about what they claim about the future.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
No one knows this. But what we do know is he is the one guy in this draft with a ceiling of greatness. Do teams let that slip through their fingers, like done with Jagr?
Cut the shit. Slafkovsky has shown nothing to suggest he’s even sure to be an NHLer. Jagr was a point-per-game player in the top professional men’s league in Czechia as a 17 year old. There is no comparison.

Reactions: bsu

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Cut the shit. Slafkovsky has shown nothing to suggest he’s even sure to be an NHLer. Jagr was a point-per-game player in the top professional men’s league in Czechia as a 17 year old. There is no comparison.
except you know... Jagr comparing Slaf to himself:golfnana:

Reactions: degustator

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
It was 30 yrs ago, pro leagues have changed alot and we dont know what Slaf's offensive production would have looked like in the CZE top league. Jagr had 5 pts in 10 games at the WC in his draft year, Slaf ended up in the top 10 of the competiton in PPG pace. Was also named MVP of the Olympics helping Slovakia to win their first ever medal of that competiton.

Not saying Slaf will be Jagr 2.0, but he sure has all the tools to become a dominant top line PF at the NHL level. His upside is crazy huge.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
It was 30 yrs ago, pro leagues have changed alot and we dont know what Slaf's offensive production would have looked like in the CZE top league. Jagr had 5 pts in 10 games at the WC in his draft year, Slaf ended up in the top 10 of the competiton in PPG pace. Was also named MVP of the Olympics helping Slovakia to win their first ever medal of that competiton.

Not saying Slaf will be Jagr 2.0, but he sure has all the tools to become a dominant top line PF at the NHL level. His upside is crazy huge.
The only question you need to ask is: if there was a draft eligible prospect playing in the Czech Extraliga this year, putting up a point-per-game, which of the top prospects would you consider taking over him?

Nobody would even be close, and certainly not Slafkovsky, whose numbers in Liiga for players his age are utterly unremarkable, and put him in company with mostly guys who went on to become 3rd liners in the NHL, if anything.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Cool random factoid but irrelavant.
Very relevant, since you seem to be under the impression that Jagr’s endorsement holds any value or bearing on what these players become.

Don't know, I was just pointing out that you were factually incorrect stating "There is no comparison"
That’s an expression, not always taken literally. If English is not your first language you get a pass though.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Jagr said that Slaf reminds him of himself and even wanted him on his team (Kladno)
Like the other poster said, Jagr also said Nichushkin would become the best player in the world. How did that turn out?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Slaf have dominated adults in Olympics and World Champions, as a 17 year old. Nichuskin never did that.
Look at the top scorers at the Olympics and tell me scoring there is indicative of NHL potential lol.

The other tournament was somewhat impressive, but it’s a handful of games.

His time in Liiga holds the most weight, and like I said, utterly unremarkable. He projects as middle-6 forward.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Look at the top scorers at the Olympics and tell me scoring there is indicative of NHL potential lol.

The other tournament was somewhat impressive, but it’s a handful of games.

His time in Liiga holds the most weight, and like I said, utterly unremarkable. He projects as middle-6 forward.
Difference is that Slaf is very young. Wright would never dominate the Olympics and WC like Slaf did.

Slaf is buried in bottom 6 in Liiga because the coach prefer older experianced players.

Not sure why you put more faith in being good vs Juniors as Wright is vs being good vs adults like Slaf is.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Difference is that Slaf is very young. Wright would never dominate the Olympics and WC like Slaf did.

Slaf is buried in bottom 6 in Liiga because the coach prefer older experianced players.

Not sure why you put more faith in being good vs Juniors as Wright is vs being good vs adults like Slaf is.
Where did I say anything about Shane Wright? Wtf.

And since you brought him up, we will never know how he’d do at those tournaments because he didn’t play them.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I would love for Slaf to be the next Jagr, but tame your expectations a bit. Jeez.
People are referring to playing-style not that he will become as good as Jagr ever was. Jagr is one of the best players ever. A realistic comparison for Slaf would be Blake Wheeler.

Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad