LW Juraj Slafkovsky (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
He had a Jack Hughes like rookie season and look how Hughes turned out by his 3rd season. Saw progress in his 2nd season and than broke out in his 3rd year. They are 2 different players and both play different positions but this kid will be fine. So what if he isn't elite ? Not every top pick is but he can still be a top line player which is something every team would take. I could see Slaf being something like an 80 point 40 goal 40 assist guy with size. Could be a guy who really takes over in the playoffs and is a nightmare to defend against.

It’s always about progress as long as he’s taking steps forward to become a better player I’m good. At the start of the season he couldn’t keep control because the game was too fast. By mid season those plays were coming along.

What I see in this thread is a bunch of opposing fans who clearly haven’t watched him dunking on an 18 year old who wasn’t a superstar right away for not being what he was told he wasn’t. Everything I’ve seen tells me he’s gonna be great at about year 3 and the coachability side as long as it sticks around will make him far more malleable then most players

Reactions: brakeyawself

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Jesse Puljujarvi Comparisons looking really good right about now…
They have a lot of similarities, but one huge difference and that is confidence. JP jas always been that shy kid not really handling the pressure. Slaf is the exact opposite, he just knows he will be a very good player when he keeps working hard.

Reactions: brakeyawself

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
This seems like a case where going first wasn't the best for him

if he ended up in NJ, he would be in the AHL getting ready to play with a elite center, either it be Jack or Nico. He also is exactly what the Devils forward core needs, a PF capable of keeping up it the team pace. In NJ, if he turned into a 55pt PF that is tough to play against that would be a huge success, but for a 1st overall may not be seen as a sucess

Reactions: Devilsfan118

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
They have a lot of similarities, but one huge difference and that is confidence. JP jas always been that shy kid not really handling the pressure. Slaf is the exact opposite, he just knows he will be a very good player when he keeps working hard.
Puljujarvi was had confidence in his game once upon a time.

But I get where you‘re coming from and maybe Montreal are trying not to ruin that confidence by sending him to the AHL after spending so much time in the NHL. So it’s sink or swim for MTL at this point, so if that’s what you’re getting at I agree.

Just wish this was handled better from the start where he started the season in the AHL.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Don't even bother , they can't even find any examples of players his height and weight who looked amazing at 18. Height is one thing but the real interesting thing about slaf is the amount of weight he carries around. The kid is HEAVY , theres literally no examples of a guy that heavy going that high so other posters can talk all they want and compare him to rantanen thornton draisaitl puljujarvi kotkaniemi dach thompson or any player with his height, it dosent matter Slaf is bigger and stronger and different than any of them at the same age.

Go ahead , ask them for examples of 18 year old his size and weight who looked better lmao , you'll certainly hear crickets.
And the examples they will try to give you will all most likely be 20-30 pounds lighter than slaf at 18 lol
100% Especially at 18. I mean, most regular sized dudes don't look good at 18 lol. Even smaller guys, who you would think come to terms with their body earlier, and who are generally more athletic overall don't usually do anything at 18. I don't know what they are expecting Slaf to do or look like in his first season, straight out of the draft.

I mentioned Kakko and Laf for a reason, not just that I'm a Ranger fan, but the Rangers bungled their development, IMO. All though, IMO neither were ready for the NHL, and the Rangers kept them anyway. But then they hardly played them. Which, even if they aren't ready, you keep them up you gotta play the kids. So it's good that Slaf is getting used since he's with the Habs. Maybe it would have been better to let him play overseas another year. But since he is with the team, they at least are giving him game time. And sometimes with decent players. Not that Slaf is Pavel Bure, but for a guy his size, I think he's relatively mobile and agile.

Soderblom is the other guy that comes to mind. All though, he's got 4 inches on Slaf and like 10-15 pounds and he's about 3 years older already. And while he's put a few in the net, I wouldn't say he's looked better at all. He's looked ok at times, but seems kind of one dimensional. He's a total netfront guy. And I don't think he's anywhere near as mobile or agile as Slaf.

Rasmussen has a few inches on him too but is like 10 pounds lighter I think. And he certainly hasn't come close. It took him like 3 seasons just to reach mediocre.

Last edited:

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Ha.
Funny this is the excuse.

I remember reading that he was the better choice because "he dominated against men" and is "way more NHL ready than any other prospect."

Now it's a waiting game. Okay.
What's funny is that you think "NHL ready" means "superstar out of the gate". Every prospect is a waiting game. Every single one. Even those that are NHL ready. And you didn't even say NHL ready you said "way MORE NHL ready than any other prospect", which is a relative assessment. So technically that doesn't even mean he's actually "NHL ready", it just means he';s closer than other prospects. So I am even going as far as to say, he is actually "NHL ready". But that doesn't mean playing at a lower level can't help him. And it doesn't mean he's going to have a 60 point rookie season. And it certainly does not mean that he is now the player he will become in a few years.

"NHL ready' just means exactly what it says, ready to play in the NHL. It literally means, he's good enough to get game time in the NHL with no expectation beyond. Nothing more, nothing less. Which Slaf clearly is.

Is Barclay Goodrow "NHL ready"? Why isn't he dominating and putting up 100 points? Something must be wrong with him. How about Matt Martin, he NHL ready? So why's he only getting 10 minutes a game with only 13 points. Send him down. How about Radek Faksa? He's got 8 points, dude must not be NHL ready.

That doesn't mean he couldn't have used more time at a lower level to improve certain things. That doesn't mean he's going to go off in his first 3 months of NHL hockey. That doesn't mean he's going to get 1st line and PP1 minutes. It simply means, you can put him in there now and he won't look out of place. And he clearly doesn't. He's already better than a number of 4th line guys, vets, players that have been in the league a few years. And he's probably on par with alot of 3rd liners.

Is Byfield "NHL ready" now? Well his play isnt great, but are they going to keep him in the AHL another season, when he can handle the NHL at least? No.

Kent Johnson is NHL ready, has he gone off? Wyatt Johnston? Perfetti? Guenther? These are some of the best prospects in hockey, why aren't they in their prime immediately if they are "NHL ready"? Gosh, this is so confusing.

Nemec and Jiricek were probably NHL ready, and they got a shot, and their teams decided they'd be better off right now in the AHL. But if they needed to play in the NHL they could.

Last edited:

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Barkov with his size did not start breaking out until his 5th season or so. Bigger guys do tend to take awhile. Slaf is only 18!
Barkov scored 28 goals and 59 points in 66 games in his 3rd season.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
i think everyone knew his offense would always be limited but to me the biggest surprise is how often he had his head down this season. disappoint rookie season to say the least but it's still to early to say he's a bust.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

if he ended up in NJ, he would be in the AHL getting ready to play with a elite center, either it be Jack or Nico. He also is exactly what the Devils forward core needs, a PF capable of keeping up it the team pace. In NJ, if he turned into a 55pt PF that is tough to play against that would be a huge success, but for a 1st overall may not be seen as a sucess

100% I agree with this even as a Habs fan.

If he goes #2 to NJ I see no way he plays on the team, he goes to the AHL and everything is quieter about him in general. When he does make the big club, he's immediately playing with 1 of 2 great C options and can fill a need also for the Devils. Like you said, the devils have their franchise scoring C, they even have the ideal #2 and getting a big, physical 30 goal PF would round out their forward depth.

I think he has an amazing attitude towards everything, but you can't deny that the pressure is magnified from going #1 compared to #2, not to mention that it was to a franchise like the Habs where everything is magnified even more.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Are the days of kids coming in and being immediate stars just over? This is what, 6 drafts in a row in which the 1-2OA needed time to establish themselves, and in several cases are likely not going to top out as game breakers?

Is the league just too good now? Is this an indication of better talent top to bottom?

Reactions: rahad

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Are the days of kids coming in and being immediate stars just over? This is what, 6 drafts in a row in which the 1-2OA needed time to establish themselves, and in several cases are likely not going to top out as game breakers?

Is the league just too good now? Is this an indication of better talent top to bottom?
No, we were just lucky to have a few drafts where there always was one or two players ready to make an impact right away. And the Oilers who chose to just basically place all the offensive responsibility on rookies. Unfortunately not all the draft classes have their Crosby or McDavid or Matthews, teams should realize that when that isn't the case the best option is not always to have their 1OA guy in the NHL right away. The Habs didn't learn anything from the past.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
Ok . Even 3 full seasons to score 28. Point is Slaf in only in season 1 at 18.
Yea its only the first year, but there's place for a lot of concern... Should had left the kid in europe this year, instead of not playing him a lot and getting heavily hit every 3 games. Don't think it was a good year for is progression and confidence. It's not over, but not totally encouraging.

Reactions: viceroy

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
No, we were just lucky to have a few drafts where there always was one or two players ready to make an impact right away. And the Oilers who chose to just basically place all the offensive responsibility on rookies. Unfortunately not all the draft classes have their Crosby or McDavid or Matthews, teams should realize that when that isn't the case the best option is not always to have their 1OA guy in the NHL right away. The Habs didn't learn anything from the past.

I don't know why people act like it was just McDavid and Matthews that came in and made an impact. It's just factually not true. It was the norm for 1OAs to immediately jump in as top 6ers before Hughes. Every 1OA forward from Crosby to Hischier played at a 50+ pt pace in their D+1 (besides Stamkos who played at a 55 pt pace for the 63 games after Melrose was fired). Then you had the 2 D who made the NHL in their D+1 become immediate top 4 D in Ekblad and Dahlin. These last 4 drafts were not the norm for a long time.

Hughes was a case where people said it could take time. I still maintain keeping him in the NHL was the right move because he had all the skill already. He needed to learn the NHL game and physically mature. Didn't take him long to adapt as he had ELITE two way metrics in year 2 and the production exploded in year 3. Laf was NHL or Q. You don't send down the back to back CHL POTY and he was "fine" his rookie year. A fine NHLer made more sense than sending him down to play with his food. Power shouldn't have been in the NHL his D+1. Sabres recognized that and now he's really good in his D+2. Slaf's a special case for a couple reasons. Reason #1 being he was an exceptionally weak 1OA and reason #2 being he had no business being in the NHL his D+1 (and probably D+2) as well.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Of, course, when you have a shitty negative agenda
Perhaps.

Or maybe I’m being realistic.

I let my opinions be known - I’ve been wrong before, and I’ve been right before.
If I have a ”shitty negative agenda” then I’ve had it for over a year now with Slafkovsky who I have compared to Puljujarvi since early 2021.
I had Slafkovsky ranked #6 in my 2021 draft rankings; if I have a “shitty negative agenda” why would I have him ranked so high? I have always seen the potential with him but I have always said he has real suspect hockey IQ and that his decision making is terrible - but if he pulls it all together he could be a dangerous player. The only time he has ever pulled it all together was at the Olympics for 7 games.

My “shitty negative agenda” has been being spewed for over a year now. Perhaps I’m just spewing my opinions of what I have seen from this player up to this point in time? But no - that wouldn’t Alain with your biases about the player and the team he was drafted to, so now to you I’m just a hater.
I’d like to point out that I have been quite accurate with what I have had to say regarding Slafkovsky so far in his young career, not “right” but accurate because a lot of what has Transpired is subjective. The reciepts are there if you want to have a read.

But yeah - I have a “shitty negative agenda“.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006

100% I agree with this even as a Habs fan.

If he goes #2 to NJ I see no way he plays on the team, he goes to the AHL and everything is quieter about him in general. When he does make the big club, he's immediately playing with 1 of 2 great C options and can fill a need also for the Devils. Like you said, the devils have their franchise scoring C, they even have the ideal #2 and getting a big, physical 30 goal PF would round out their forward depth.

I think he has an amazing attitude towards everything, but you can't deny that the pressure is magnified from going #1 compared to #2, not to mention that it was to a franchise like the Habs where everything is magnified even more.

All the more reason for Montreal to take him with the first pick I'd say. Because you are right and the Devils would have absolutely drafted him. The Devils back office on draft night were probably holding hands in a prayer circlle for the Habs to take anyone but Slaf. I mean, at this point, with Vanacek looking good, that high end power-winger and maybe one more winger, are really the only main pieces they are missing. Their current wingers are good goal scorers, but not exactly game dominaters and really only Palat can play a physical game. Maybe Tatar a tiny bit. But Sharangovich and Bratt are certainly not there for their menacing presence.

So it honestly sounds to me like the Devils needed Slafkovsky more than Slafkovsky specifically needed the Devils. Unless Foote eventually does develop into a player. But he's been slow to develop, also a big dude. All though, only weighs like 197 at 6'3, so he'll prob have to still add mass.

I actually thought they'd trade down at the point in the draft when their dreams were shattered, which I honestly still think might have been the best move on their part, add another good pick or two and move back somewhere in the top 10. Maybe gram like Kemmel and then whatever with the other picks. Hopefully their choice of Nemec over Jiricek wont come back to bight them. And while I'm sure Nemec will be fine, Jiricek, at least thus far, as looked like he's on a different level. I called that wrong too. I was team Nemec all day. Meh. Not that he'll be bad or bust or anything like that. But Jiricek is really killing it. Things can still change of course.

Well, the Habs have Suzuki, and while he's not quite on Hughes' level, he's still a legitimate 1C, I would say in that middle tier range of 1Cs. Actually, in terms of offense and all around game, the Bergron comparisons are starting to look somewhat accurate. But offensively, Bergeron has only scored at or above a PPG pace only 2 seasons I believe. But I wouldn't have any issue whatsoever if a young prospect for my club was destined to play with a young center of that mold.

And it doesn't automatically mean he would develop better, or end up becoming the same or as good a player. He could end up getting Lafreniered, even in a year or two if they did have him wait to be brought up, relegated to 3rd and 4th line work so the Devils can win games as they'll be contending relatively seriously at that point I'd imagine. So it realistically could have had the opposite effect.

And we can't even say for sure that another year or two outside of the NHL would have been better for his development. It's very possible, but we just won't be able to really determine that for a few years at least.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
All the more reason for Montreal to take him with the first pick I'd say. Because you are right and the Devils would have absolutely drafted him. The Devils back office on draft night were probably holding hands in a prayer circlle for the Habs to take anyone but Slaf. I mean, at this point, with Vanacek looking good, that high end power-winger and maybe one more winger, are really the only main pieces they are missing. Their current wingers are good goal scorers, but not exactly game dominaters and really only Palat can play a physical game. Maybe Tatar a tiny bit. But Sharangovich and Bratt are certainly not there for their menacing presence.

So it honestly sounds to me like the Devils needed Slafkovsky more than Slafkovsky specifically needed the Devils. Unless Foote eventually does develop into a player. But he's been slow to develop, also a big dude. All though, only weighs like 197 at 6'3, so he'll prob have to still add mass.

I actually thought they'd trade down at the point in the draft when their dreams were shattered, which I honestly still think might have been the best move on their part, add another good pick or two and move back somewhere in the top 10. Maybe gram like Kemmel and then whatever with the other picks. Hopefully their choice of Nemec over Jiricek wont come back to bight them. And while I'm sure Nemec will be fine, Jiricek, at least thus far, as looked like he's on a different level. I called that wrong too. I was team Nemec all day. Meh. Not that he'll be bad or bust or anything like that. But Jiricek is really killing it. Things can still change of course.

Well, the Habs have Suzuki, and while he's not quite on Hughes' level, he's still a legitimate 1C, I would say in that middle tier range of 1Cs. Actually, in terms of offense and all around game, the Bergron comparisons are starting to look somewhat accurate. But offensively, Bergeron has only scored at or above a PPG pace only 2 seasons I believe. But I wouldn't have any issue whatsoever if a young prospect for my club was destined to play with a young center of that mold.

And it doesn't automatically mean he would develop better, or end up becoming the same or as good a player. He could end up getting Lafreniered, even in a year or two if they did have him wait to be brought up, relegated to 3rd and 4th line work so the Devils can win games as they'll be contending relatively seriously at that point I'd imagine. So it realistically could have had the opposite effect.

And we can't even say for sure that another year or two outside of the NHL would have been better for his development. It's very possible, but we just won't be able to really determine that for a few years at least.

don't wanna turn Slaf thread into other guys, but Jiricek probably gonna be a higher point producer than Nemec, but Nemec is a more all-around defender, which for a team that has Dougie and Luke Hughes already, is preferable to another offensive dman that is more of a PP specialist than a play driver at 5v5.

I think they would just keep him in the AHL, let him go to WJC and call up if he doing well when a injury occur (Zetterlund, Holtz, Foote, Clarke would be ahead of him). They have had chances to rush Nemec and didn't, so I guess with Slaf would be same way.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Perhaps.

Or maybe I’m being realistic.

I let my opinions be known - I’ve been wrong before, and I’ve been right before.
If I have a ”shitty negative agenda” then I’ve had it for over a year now with Slafkovsky who I have compared to Puljujarvi since early 2021.
I had Slafkovsky ranked #6 in my 2021 draft rankings; if I have a “shitty negative agenda” why would I have him ranked so high? I have always seen the potential with him but I have always said he has real suspect hockey IQ and that his decision making is terrible - but if he pulls it all together he could be a dangerous player. The only time he has ever pulled it all together was at the Olympics for 7 games.

My “shitty negative agenda” has been being spewed for over a year now. Perhaps I’m just spewing my opinions of what I have seen from this player up to this point in time? But no - that wouldn’t Alain with your biases about the player and the team he was drafted to, so now to you I’m just a hater.
I’d like to point out that I have been quite accurate with what I have had to say regarding Slafkovsky so far in his young career, not “right” but accurate because a lot of what has Transpired is subjective. The reciepts are there if you want to have a read.

But yeah - I have a “shitty negative agenda“.
Completely agree, anyone who thought the kid was exhibiting an NHL level hockey IQ in his draft year are simply devoid of hockey IQ. I thought and still think that he is a very good prospect but I would likely have pegged him closer to 5th OA and certainly no higher than 4th. His hockey IQ was much closer to Bantam level than NHL level and has only marginally improved.

Slaf is a project that will take some time and I don't think his ceiling is likely very high. If he can become a 30 goal, 50-60 point player who controls the boards then that will be a great success but certainly no where near where you would project a typical 1st OA. Hopefully his personality will keep him endeared to the Hab faithful as his production alone probably won't be enough.

Hughes/Gorton saw an opportunity to acquire an asset that is very rare and extremely difficult to acquire and they went for it when there was no true #1 available and I can live with that but people blindly defending the pick based solely on hockey skills are out to lunch.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
don't wanna turn Slaf thread into other guys, but Jiricek probably gonna be a higher point producer than Nemec, but Nemec is a more all-around defender, which for a team that has Dougie and Luke Hughes already, is preferable to another offensive dman that is more of a PP specialist than a play driver at 5v5.

I think they would just keep him in the AHL, let him go to WJC and call up if he doing well when a injury occur (Zetterlund, Holtz, Foote, Clarke would be ahead of him). They have had chances to rush Nemec and didn't, so I guess with Slaf would be same way.

Jiricek is better offensively and defensively. If anything the gap is probably bigger defensively. Both are better than Slafkovsky.

Reactions: majormajor

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Barkov scored 28 goals and 59 points in 66 games in his 3rd season.
Barkov was also very good defesnively out of the gate and his offesne did begin to blossom in his 3rd season.

Slaf is a very different type of player and should have started in the AHL or at least gone to the WJC then the AHL to get some decent playing time.

Reactions: viceroy

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Again, people who talk incessantly about "development" miss the point entirely.

What is stupid about burning an 18 year old's ELC and RFA is that by the time this player is supposed to be good he will be playing on another team.

Tage Thompson is a great example of that. He doesn't help the Blues at all by being a star for the Sabres.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad