LW Juraj Slafkovsky (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
The thing, he's really not that ''offensive''.

Not an elite shooter.

Not an elite passer.

Doesn't have elite vision or hockey sense.

Everything is kind of just OK to good.

But hey, he's big!!!

I fear he'll be like Lawson Crouse at best. 20-25 goals. 50 points.
Slaf has an elite skill, which is puck protection, while also being above average in board battles and puck retrieval.
Those are just not as important as the traits you listed.
He was also scouted as more of a playmaker than a shooter, so much that his goal totals at the Olympics were an even bigger surprise.

He really seemed to click with Monahan in November(?) when MTL actually had more than one scoring line. Since then he played with NHL scrubs because that's what MTL has to offer. In my opinion Slaf is the kind of player to learn instinctively by playing with the best players available. Nevertheless, Slaf in December was a better overall player than Slaf in October.

He wasn't my pick on draft day but I got behind him based on long-term potential, and he has shown really good skills and smarts at times this season. It's disingenuous for people in this thread to say he's completely lost and not improving. People are just overreacting because his production (not efficiency) has plateau'd and he can't improve on the current trend until Oct 2023.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Slaf has an elite skill, which is puck protection, while also being above average in board battles and puck retrieval.
He was also scouted as more of a playmaker than a shooter, so much that his goal totals at the Olympics were an even bigger surprise.

He really seemed to click with Monahan in November(?) when MTL actually had more than one scoring line. Since then he played with NHL scrubs because that's what MTL has to offer. In my opinion Slaf is the kind of player to learn instinctively by playing with the best players available. Nevertheless, Slaf in December was a better overall player than Slaf in October.

He wasn't my pick on draft day but I got behind him based on long-term potential, and he has shown really good skills and smarts at times this season. It's disingenuous for people in this thread to say he's completely lost and not improving. People are just overreacting because his production (not efficiency) has plateau'd and he can't improve on the current trend until Oct 2023.
I completely agree with your take, and it is why I shared the press conference from Habs management regarding Slafkovsky. They basically said with his confidence levels and his skillset, the best way they saw him becoming an impact player down the line was developing NHL-instincts very early in his career. The small things, the things you don't really notice unless you're watching out for them. Who knows if it's the right approach, but it isn't as outlandish as some would have you think.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
But generally he was the same player at the end of his season as he was in the beginning.
Definitely not, he made solid progress. Much better positioning, awareness. His last 3-4 games were his best with increased TOI with good scoring chances, hits...
He started with Pezzetta, Evans in 4th line. He got promoted to Monahan and progressed as expected. Monahan got injured and St. Louis started to rotate his linemates every game. That was very stupid IMO. The whole team started struggling and I think it was the right time to send Slaf to WJC and then AHL. They kept him with the team and he bounced back. His last games were very good and even though he stayed pointless, he played really well.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

He looked terrible almost every game. Take off the homer glasses.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
That plan is a sure fire way to turn him into a 3rd line grinder.

Slafkovsky should be focused on his offensive production at his age; especially for a player who needs time to put it all together.
There’s only a small window of opportunity to develop and refine your natural innate skill-set.

And what are the Habs doing instead? Shoring up a 18-19 year old ‘project player’s’ weaknesses at NHL level; then magically expecting his skill-set to take over once he’s finally comfortable with the NHL game in a year or two?
They’re developing him backwards.

They should have let him marinate in Europe for a season or two.

So stupid.

Bingo

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Ligue

Sep 28, 2017
Damn so many player development experts/gurus on these boards. You'd think some of them would land an NHL gig right ? ..... right ?

People really shouldn't be talking in absolute (on pretty much any subject) but especially regarding player development where there is no defined formula and you need to know the person/player very well to even have an idea what route to take. Which in this case nobody on these boards know any of the players discussed.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
He looked terrible almost every game. Take off the homer glasses.

Um... no.

As a Ranger fan, I'd kill to have drafted Slaf instead of Laf or Kakko. Slaf has looked very good at times and he's progressing. He's still very young and raw, and a big kid. And the bigger they are, usually the longer it takes them to develop, Tage Thompson as an example.

It's obvious already that he's going to end up being an impact player and a top 6. That's more than I can say about any of the wingers my team has drafted in the 1st round in the last like 5 years, which obviously has included some "sure things" and big name prospects.

And if he does put it all together, he will such a force on the ice. There's no way to tell right now how high he will reach offensively. I don't think he will ever be a 100 point guy. But if he's anywhere from a 65 - PPG player, with his other attributes and skills, he will be a force for the Habs and a perfect compliment to like Caufield and Suzuki. And he won't need to score 100 points to impact games.

With that said, I think there is a fair chance he does reach close to PPG in his career, if his development continues. Maybe more like a 75 point guy most seasons with a chance of higher. I don't think he will ever score more than like 30-35 goals in any season, but that's ok too. He may end up a 30-50 guy. Something around there. But we can already tell he's a physical force, he's not at all afraid to hit people and he's only going to get stronger. And his netfront presence when developed, will automatically give him points he wouldn't be getting otherwise just based on shooting and passing. So however many points he can produce away from the net, will be well supplemented by his points in front of the net. Which will come and won't necessitate a great shot.

And if he ends up floundering at some point, his floor is still like a 3rd liner I think, just because of all his other traits and abilities.

I mean, stay pessimistic. But the evidence on the ice doesn't support that take.

Last edited:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Um... no.

As a Ranger fan, I'd kill to have drafted Slaf instead of Laf or Kakko. Slaf has looked very good at times and he's progressing. He's still very young and raw, and a big kid. And the bigger they are, usually the longer it takes them to develop, Tage Thompson as an example.

It's obvious already that he's going to end up being an impact player and a top 6. That's more than I can say about any of the wingers my team has drafted in the 1st round in the last like 5 years, which obviously has included some "sure things" and big name prospects.

And if he does put it all together, he will such a force on the ice.

I mean, stay pessimistic. But the evidence on the ice doesn't support that take.

lol People are going to be clinging to Tage for years now. He is one of the biggest outliers in the history of the sport. No one should expect anyone to have a similar development curve.

The evidence on the ice definitely supported the take that he was terrible.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
lol People are going to be clinging to Tage for years now. He is one of the biggest outliers in the history of the sport. No one should expect anyone to have a similar development curve.

Clinging to Tage? No, powerforwards/bigger players, I don't just mean bigger in height, either height or overall mass, or both which is what Slaf and Thompson are, often take longer to develop. That's not just a Tage thing. Kane took a few seasons, Benn, Thornton, Getzlaf.... And even sometimes bigger D, like Dahlin, who's finally now showing what he hasn't his first few years. You are just making things up lol.

I'm praying Laf and Kakko are just on a slow development curve, all though, I have like no hope for Kakko anymore. Laf, who is obviously a powerfoward and a big dude, may still develop later. He's shown flashes. All though, his skating hasn't really improved and he's slow which I think is his biggest drawback to success. Especially since the Rangers never gave him a dedicated skating coach, like say the Nucks did with Horvat. Which really is what Laf needed/needs in order to improve. IMO.

I never said he'd be as good as Tage, but powerforwards/bigger players generally take longer to develop. And he's still very young.

If that's what you think, than I can't imagine you've watched many Habs games thus far. Either that or you just don't understand the first thing about hockey.

Last edited:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

People expecting an 18 years old to be a superstar from the get go are the issue.
Slafkovsky is miles ahead of Thompson at the same age.

Draisaitl is probably a better example at the same age.
Big body, not fully grown into his body, but obvious skill. High draft pick.
Not saying he'll turn out as good, but that's a more similar path.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Clinging to Tage? No, powerforwards/bigger players, I don't just mean bigger in height, either height or overall mass, or both which is what Slaf and Thompson are, often take longer to develop. That's not just a Tage thing. Kane took a few seasons, Benn, Thornton, Getzlaf.... And even sometimes bigger D, like Dahlin, who's finally now showing what he hasn't his first few years. You are just making things up lol.

I'm praying Laf and Kakko are just on a slow development curve, all though, I have like no hope for Kakko anymore. Laf, who is obviously a powerfoward and a big dude, may still develop later. He's shown flashes. All though, his skating hasn't really improved and he's slow which I think is his biggest drawback to success. Especially since the Rangers never gave him a dedicated skating coach, like say the Nucks did with Horvat. Which really is what Laf needed/needs in order to improve. IMO.

I never said he'd be as good as Tage, but powerforwards/bigger players generally take longer to develop. And he's still very young.

If that's what you think, than I can't imagine you've watched many Habs games thus far. Either that or you just don't understand the first thing about hockey.
Don't even bother , they can't even find any examples of players his height and weight who looked amazing at 18. Height is one thing but the real interesting thing about slaf is the amount of weight he carries around. The kid is HEAVY , theres literally no examples of a guy that heavy going that high so other posters can talk all they want and compare him to rantanen thornton draisaitl puljujarvi kotkaniemi dach thompson or any player with his height, it dosent matter Slaf is bigger and stronger and different than any of them at the same age.

Go ahead , ask them for examples of 18 year old his size and weight who looked better lmao , you'll certainly hear crickets.
And the examples they will try to give you will all most likely be 20-30 pounds lighter than slaf at 18 lol

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

Ha.
Funny this is the excuse.

I remember reading that he was the better choice because "he dominated against men" and is "way more NHL ready than any other prospect."

Now it's a waiting game. Okay.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

Elmer Soderblom has certainly entered the conversation. It may be a blip - might not be.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Habs coaching team: He is confident, but not arrogant. Very mature for 18y. Very coachable, eager to improve all the time. Communicates very well with coaches, asks for advice.
Habs teammates: Very mature for 18y, I cannot even imagine myself in his shoes at 18. Handles the pressure extremely well. Constantly works on small details. Great kid in locker room.
Former Slovak NHLers like Gaborik, Hossa, Satan- His mindset is excellent, he is 100% focused to become the best possible Slaf. Always looking for some tips and advice on and off the ice.
Slovakia coaching team- very coachable player with elite work ethic
Journalist Eric Engels said he talks to hockey people from other organizations. They all see Slaf as impact top 6 player.
Average HF expert: very low hockey IQ. He cannot produce except two short tournaments. Should not play in NHL this year, Habs ruined another prospect. He has no elite skill, just size. He will bust.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
If development really was a thing, every player in the first two rounds would be regular NHLers.

Waiting for a player to be physically and mentally mature enough to play in the NHL is not development. Its just waiting.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
He had a Jack Hughes like rookie season and look how Hughes turned out by his 3rd season. Saw progress in his 2nd season and than broke out in his 3rd year. They are 2 different players and both play different positions but this kid will be fine. So what if he isn't elite ? Not every top pick is but he can still be a top line player which is something every team would take. I could see Slaf being something like an 80 point 40 goal 40 assist guy with size. Could be a guy who really takes over in the playoffs and is a nightmare to defend against.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

Barkov with his size did not start breaking out until his 5th season or so. Bigger guys do tend to take awhile. Slaf is only 18!

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
With Owen Power going back to college for another season, I thought we would see more 1st overall picks not get rushed, but I guess not.
Habs fanboy won't let go of the new shiny toy. Molson also don't care if the team win or not. As long as he sell season tickets. Using Slaf to sell season ticket and jersey.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad