LW Juraj Slafkovsky (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
No, you’re right. It’s good for a 1OA to barely play, not score, and register bad analytics because you’d rather see him play than have to rely on reports from the AHL.
The reason he is not getting much ice time is due to a plan that MSL has for him. I think most hab fans would love to have him on a 2nd/3rd line, but MSL is purposely holding him back... for now. He is scoring plenty for the amount of time he is getting and the kind of linemates he has.

I will admit I am not a big fan of the role he is playing right now, but he keeps getting better game by game, so for now I think he is alright where he is. I believe he will be moved up the lineup as the season progresses and his numbers will reflect that when that happens.

It's ok if you think he would be better off in the minors, but when you say things like "he’s not an NHL player right now", that just shows you haven't really been watching.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The reason he is not getting much ice time is due to a plan that MSL has for him. I think most hab fans would love to have him on a 2nd/3rd line, but MSL is purposely holding him back... for now. He is scoring plenty for the amount of time he is getting and the kind of linemates he has.

I will admit I am not a big fan of the role he is playing right now, but he keeps getting better game by game, so for now I think he is alright where he is. I believe he will be moved up the lineup as the season progresses and his numbers will reflect that when that happens.

It's ok if you think he would be better off in the minors, but when you say things like "he’s not an NHL player right now", that just shows you haven't really been watching.

Every coach says that, fans buy into the nonsense, and then eventually it’s acknowledged by everyone that the coach had no real plan and was selling some naive fans a bill of goods.

Look what Seattle is doing with Wright. Do what’s best for the kid. That isn’t in the NHL, if he’s not playing more than he is and he doesn’t have more success than he has.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Good to hear.

I‘m still off the opinion he should be in the AHL getting tons of minutes - how are Canadiens fans feeling?

It doesn't seem like a possibility anymore, so the discussion regarding that has ended. Slaf has been progressing despite only playing 10 min a night on the 4th line. The management seems fine with that ice time, so I doubt he plays in Laval this year.

I think the wjc is a possibility though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Good to hear.

I‘m still off the opinion he should be in the AHL getting tons of minutes - how are Canadiens fans feeling?

It doesn't seem like a possibility anymore, so the discussion regarding that has ended. Slaf has been progressing despite only playing 10 min a night on the 4th line. The management seems fine with that ice time, so I doubt he plays in Laval this year.

I think the wjc is a possibility though.

He seems like he is at a level of play where he can develop well at either the NHL or AHL level.

I'm wondering about the 40 game mark where the RFA year is burned. Does that not get engaged if he is assigned to the AHL before then? For the Habs sake I would have him in the AHL to avoid hitting that 40 game mark.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Good to hear.

To play with? Our farm is trash, especially the center line, he would have no one to feed him the puck and the coach is terrible. I would send him to the WJC though, would be a headliner, get ton of pts and have alot of fun.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
He seems like he is at a level of play where he can develop well at either the NHL or AHL level.

I'm wondering about the 40 game mark where the RFA year is burned. Does that not get engaged if he is assigned to the AHL before then? For the Habs sake I would have him in the AHL to avoid hitting that 40 game mark.

I think you mean the 9 game mark? He's played more games than that already.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It is only NHL games

If the Habs play him full games this year and next - Salfkovsky will be able to be a UFA at only 25 years old.

Not ideal.

Why would they burn that RFA year this year then? He's not helping them win any cups anytime this season.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Why would they burn that RFA year this year then? He's not helping them win any cups anytime this season.
They haven’t yet - there is still plenty of time for the Habs to send him down.

I’m guessing he plays either exactly 39 games, or a touch under. Don’t know why the Habs would waste that year.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
tbh I really don't think the year being burnt matters. If Slafkovsky progresses decently, he's getting a long, looong deal anyway, as three years fits nicely with a lot of bad contracts being gone.

Reactions: jfhabs

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Slaf isn’t being sent down barring some TERRIBLE play. Let him put up 25-30 points this year while adapting, maybe give him the wjc.

He needs to acclimate to the speed and physicality of the league. Just takes time

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Slaf isn’t being sent down barring some TERRIBLE play. Let him put up 25-30 points this year while adapting, maybe give him the wjc.

He needs to acclimate to the speed and physicality of the league. Just takes time

This is exactly what all Rangers fans said 2-3 years ago. Going back, I don’t think a single one of us would have neglected an opportunity to develop Laf or Kakko for a year in the AHL.

There’s more to development than speed and physicality acclimation. I promise you 10 min of bottom 6 ice time per game is not the answer for an 18yo.

Last edited:

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
This is exactly what all Rangers fans said 2-3 years ago. Going back, I don’t think a single one of us would have neglected an opportunity to develop Laf or Kakko for a year in the AHL.

There’s more to development than speed and physicality acclimation. I promise you 10 min of bottom 6 ice time per game is not the answer for an 18yo.

If he gets more minutes as the season goes on I don't think keeping him in the NHL is a bad idea. If they play him on the 4th line all season thats a big yike. Either way please send him down to the AHL for perma top 6 minutes for the rest of the season.

Reactions: Heffyhoof and QJL

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jeff Gorton did the same thing with Kakko. Wasn’t good his rookie season in the NHL. Fans sold themselves that it was the right thing because once every five games he’d make a nice play. Now after a few seasons to start his career playing minor minutes in the NHL and not playing big minutes, first PP, and with good line mates, and now that he’s finally able to create some scoring chances, he’s terrible at converting those chances. Jeff Gorton won’t be blamed much for that anymore because there are now other people getting blame for why Kakko can’t score, but I hope the same doesn’t happen for Slafkovsky, who was less NHL ready than Kakko.

It’s actually crazy Slafkovsky is playing in the NHL. He scored 10 points in 31 Liiga games last season. If he was a third rounder in his D+2 season coming off that, no one would dare suggest he was NHL ready. That he has good potential and could justify that range years from now doesn’t take away from that he’s not ready. I don’t think this is good for his career.

Last edited:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Kings sent Byfield to the ahl but it didn't really work either

*disclaimer* all players mentioned are style very young and could all turn the corner soon imo

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Slafkovsky has been getting better as the season has progressed. He is getting second line power play minutes now. Sure he is playing on the fourth line but the he has played a more pivotal role on that line. For the last while he has played with Evans and Pezzetta. Slafkovsky has been the driver on that line and has created scorings opportunities.

What I am really hoping is that he switches places with Armia and hops up to Monahan’s line. Then I think everyone will get a better viewing of him.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Jeff Gorton did the same thing with Kakko. Wasn’t good his rookie season in the NHL. Fans sold themselves that it was the right thing because once every five games he’d make a nice play. Now after a few seasons to start his career playing minor minutes in the NHL and not playing big minutes, first PP, and with good line mates, and now that he’s finally able to create some scoring chances, he’s terrible at converting those chances. Jeff Gorton won’t be blamed much for that anymore because there are now other people getting blame for why Kakko can’t score, but I hope the same doesn’t happen for Slafkovsky, who was less NHL ready than Kakko.

It’s actually crazy Slafkovsky is playing in the NHL. He scored 10 points in 31 Liiga games last season. If he was a third rounder in his D+2 season coming off that, no one would dare suggest he was NHL ready. That he has good potential and could justify that range years from now doesn’t take away from that he’s not ready. I don’t think this is good for his career.

A big reason the management want him in the nhl is that they want Martin St. Louis to develop/coach him.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016

A big problem for Montreal is our AHL team is hot trash coached by someone I'd wager is gone at season's end. Easier to monitor his development in North America than overseas, so I assume the team is taking that approach. He's definitely NHL ready, as in he can play and keep up on a line in the NHL, just not sure if 4th line minutes and scrubs are his best bet, but it's that or overseas pretty much at this point it seems.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad