LW Juraj Slafkovsky (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Kinda like how TPS had to balance his development with the number 1 priority still being to win games.

I disagree.
Actually, the interesting thing about the Habs this season is that their goal isn't to make the playoffs, and it isn't even to win games. It is to "grow as a team". Making the playoffs would be a bonus, because that means the team had grown a lot more than expected. The main goal is to grow the team and develop the young players, as confirmed by Martin St. Louis himself.

So, the Habs will actually do what is best for each rookie depending on their situation. Kaiden Guhle is getting first pairing minutes and thriving, but Slafkovsky is much younger and needs a different approach. It seems to be working, since he is slowly getting better each game.

TPS did not want that for Slafkovsky, or their youth: it was only based on merit and what was more likely to make them win. The Habs are openly saying they will do what is best for each of their players, and that winning comes secondary.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Kinda like how TPS had to balance his development with the number 1 priority still being to win games.

I disagree.
I think you are agreeing, montreals number 1 priority is to develop, TPS was to win. Want a good example look at the Habs with Galchenyuk or KK of what being focused on winning and not development can do to a young player. As for the 11minutes they're already starting to increase his ice time. Until last game he didn't play PK or PP now he's getting 2nd PP minutes which should add up to an extra 1:30-2min a game

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Actually, the interesting thing about the Habs this season is that their goal isn't to make the playoffs, and it isn't even to win games. It is to "grow as a team". Making the playoffs would be a bonus, because that means the team had grown a lot more than expected. The main goal is to grow the team and develop the young players, as confirmed by Martin St. Louis himself.

So, the Habs will actually do what is best for each rookie depending on their situation. Kaiden Guhle is getting first pairing minutes and thriving, but Slafkovsky is much younger and needs a different approach. It seems to be working, since he is slowly getting better each game.

TPS did not want that for Slafkovsky, or their youth: it was only based on merit and what was more likely to make them win. The Habs are openly saying they will do what is best for each of their players, and that winning comes secondary.
I think you are agreeing, montreals number 1 priority is to develop, TPS was to win. Want a good example look at the Habs with Galchenyuk or KK of what being focused on winning and not development can do to a young player. As for the 11minutes they're already starting to increase his ice time. Until last game he didn't play PK or PP now he's getting 2nd PP minutes which should add up to an extra 1:30-2min a game
I think playing high pressure playoff games is the best kind of development. Slaf got to play 18 of those last season with TPS. I guess that's what happens when you have a team that's focused on winning.

• Haha
Reactions: Gravity

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I think playing high pressure playoff games is the best kind of development. Slaf got to play 18 of those last season with TPS. I guess that's what happens when you have a team that's focused on winning.
I think you forgot how the conversation started. TPS wasn't focused on developing their young players, they were focused on winning (and that's ok). Montreal is focused on doing what's best for their young players - not winning. The situation in Montreal suits Slafkovsky much more than how TPS used him, which was only focused on merit and didn't have his potential in mind.

So in the end, we are all on the same page, you are just debating semantics.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think you forgot how the conversation started. TPS wasn't focused on developing their young players, they were focused on winning (and that's ok). Montreal is focused on doing what's best for their young players - not winning. The situation in Montreal suits Slafkovsky much more than how TPS used him, which was only focused on merit and didn't have his potential in mind.

So in the end, we are all on the same page, you are just debating semantics.
MTL is telling him that it is getting better all the time....of course some fans are saying it could't get much worse.....

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Just to bring a bit of balance in the conversation, it should be noted that some very vocal posters on the Habs board still believe he's not ready, might have been the wrong pick and see nothing special about Slafkovsky. Some Habs posters want him to be sent down to the OHL, others to play in Europe, still others in the AHL. These posts are more numerous following games he doesn't put up points. They see clear shortcomings in his game.

Bottom line, there's no unanimity regarding Slafkovsky's play.

Reactions: Xirik

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Just to bring a bit of balance in the conversation, some very vocal posters on the Habs board still believe he's not ready, might have been the wrong pick and see nothing special in Slafkovsky. Some Habs posters want him to be sent down to the OHL, others to play in Europe, still others in the AHL. These posts are more numerous following games he doesn't put up points. They see clear shortcomings in his game.

Bottom line, there's no unanimity regarding Slafkovsky's play.
I hardly believe he was the wrong pick.

I'm aware how screwed over Shane Wright has been by Dave Hakstol, but I think he hasn't turned out quite as nicely as Slaf has just yet.

Judging by how Slafkovsky is on 20 Goal Pace in his 18-Year Old season, I would say him staying in the NHL will be fine.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
I don't know why but I find myself watching more Habs games than any other team this year. Some Caufield effect, but it's also quite interesting to watch Slaf develop. He is mostly doing all the right things, and the coaching staff are doing their best to put him in situations where he can succeed. He's reaching a lot with his stick rather than skating at times, something he would have got away with in lower leagues. But once the coaching staff get him using his body more he will be impossible to handle. Already seeing some flashes of physical dominance on North/South races and battles.

I actually don't have a problem keeping him with the pro team the rest of the season. Seems mature enough to learn from his mistakes even at this level.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I don't know why but I find myself watching more Habs games than any other team this year. Some Caufield effect, but it's also quite interesting to watch Slaf develop. He is mostly doing all the right things, and the coaching staff are doing their best to put him in situations where he can succeed. He's reaching a lot with his stick rather than skating at times, something he would have got away with in lower leagues. But once the coaching staff get him using his body more he will be impossible to handle. Already seeing some flashes of physical dominance on North/South races and battles.

I actually don't have a problem keeping him with the pro team the rest of the season. Seems mature enough to learn from his mistakes even at this level.
I agree - he’s holding his own fine in a mostly bottom 6 role, and showing flashes of high end talent and skill. I think it’s a bad idea to keep a kid up when he’s clearly “out of his league,” but that’s not Slaf. He’s IMO good enough to deserve NHL minutes, and I can see him maturing into a legit impact player in the near future.

Last edited:

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
Looks like he is staying past the 9 games.

I hope they give him a bit more minutes and play him with some skilled players.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He will. Its just not easy to do when your an 18 year who just started their nhl career
Matthews is a good example - like Slaf he's a big, strong 1st overall pick, he always protected the puck well but didn't hit much at all when he entered the league. Over time though, that's changed - here's his hits per 60 mins throughout his career to-date:
- 2016/17: 0.87
- 2017/18: 0.85
- 2018/19: 1.33
- 2019/20: 1.63
- 2020/21: 3.05
- 2021/22: 2.67
- 2022/23 (so far): 6.36

Hitting 7x as much this year as he did his rookie season. It's definitely something you can add to your game over time, I'd expect Slaf to also ramp up his physicality over time.

On top of that, Slaf is already hitting a lot for a skilled teenage rook, 7.81 hits/60 mins! 3rd on the Habs in hits/60, behind only Xhekaj and Josh Anderson.

Last edited:

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Kid has a bright future, hoping he continues to develop well...he has all the tools.

What is his weakness? Experience in na?

All the important boxes he checks off except for pretty skating, but I’d rather skating be effective than pretty and he gets around the ice just fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad