LW Juraj Slafkovsky (2022, 1st, MTL) Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
What is his weakness? Experience in na?

All the important boxes he checks off except for pretty skating, but I’d rather skating be effective than pretty and he gets around the ice just fine.

He skates pretty well for a big man tbh lol

Weakness is that he plays often with one hand on his stick which i find interesting. He would win even more battles for the puck when he’ll fix that i feel like.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009

All the important boxes he checks off except for pretty skating, but I’d rather skating be effective than pretty and he gets around the ice just fine.
He needs time to adjust to NA rink dimensions. His game translates better on NA ice than it does on a larger rink. He needs to get use to the smaller sized rink, learn a bit about himself and what he is capable of, and most of all get use to playing at an NHL level.

Like you said, he skates well for a big player. He was big from a young age so he is use to it and had time to improve.

The thing that impresses me the most is his shot. All three of his goals have come off of powerful, accurate shots. NHL level shots. Different types of shots as well.

When he puts it all together he has the potential to be a big strong 35g/35a type player, as a baseline. If it clicks the right way he is more than capable of getting way more points than that baseline.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Cool. It would be stupid to send him there and risk possible injury. On the other hand, Mesar situation is different. I want to see him at the WJC.

I always stop and wonder why this comment about risking injury applies to one player but not another?

Slafkovsky doesn't look like he is really ready for the NHL.

Reactions: bebl and Wats

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Any player can look "fine" playing a select 11 MPG though.

I think he would be better served playing big MPG in Laval this season.
Jesperi Kotkaniemi looked “fine“ in his rookie season too, as did Cole Sillinger.

Let these kids dominate offensively in lower leagues, because that’s what you want out of them once they’re ready for the NHL.

Reactions: wetcoast

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

His glaring weakness right now seems to be typical big man syndrome , head down , a stick handle or two too much in certain situations , boarding a guy in the numbers , typical stuff really for a huge guy seeing what he can and can't do at this level some question his hockey iQ but his on ice vision seems pretty dam good for his age

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Jesperi Kotkaniemi looked “fine“ in his rookie season too, as did Cole Sillinger.

Let these kids dominate offensively in lower leagues, because that’s what you want out of them once they’re ready for the NHL.
I like Slaf more than Kotkaniemi. He's been really good since he came back from that wrist injury. MSL give him bigger role eventually. He's already on second PP unit.

Reactions: TheGr8Cornholio

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Cool. It would be stupid to send him there and risk possible injury. On the other hand, Mesar situation is different. I want to see him at the WJC.

depends on his TOI and usage imo, so far this season he's only played more then 10:34 4 times. If this keeps up then it's something I would look at to get him a lot of ice time.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s shooting 30%, and only has 3 points in 10 games. Not as if he’s playing 4 minutes a game either.

Unless he’s some expert PK’er with no offense, which he isn’t, he’s not an NHL player right now.

Habs should send him down.

Reactions: Goon42

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
He’s shooting 30%, and only has 3 points in 10 games. Not as if he’s playing 4 minutes a game either.

Unless he’s some expert PK’er with no offense, which he isn’t, he’s not an NHL player right now.

Habs should send him down.

Why are you so hellbent on proving your ignorance at each of your posts?

Reactions: Faterson

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What about his post was wrong?

Looking at his graphs, xGF/60 with him on the ice 1.67, xGF/60 without him 2.54 so he's an absolute offensive black hole.

Reactions: bebl

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

Looking at his graphs, xGF/60 with him on the ice 1.67, xGF/60 without him 2.54 so he's an absolute offensive black hole.

Progression.

He should be a PP fixture. Second wave.

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He's not wrong.

It would probably be the best for Slafkovsky's development if he were to play 16+ minutes with top-line pp time in the AHL.

It's not like it's an unpopular opinion. Juding by the habs board - It's an opinion that is shared by a good number of habs fans.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC

I guess I should preface my post by highlighting the fact that I am not a big Slafkovsky fan, far from it. In fact, I do not mind the pick (although I would have picked Wright, Cooley and Nemec before him), but I still am not sold on Slafkovsky's hockey sense and similarly continue to wonder if we have not drafted a slightly faster/more talented Joel Armia.

All of this to say that after Slakovsky had a pretty mediocre camp, I was not thrilled when the team chose to let him start the year with the big club. I was also NOT impressed with Slafkovsky's showing in his first three/four games with the big club.

Put simply, on the ice he looked like Bambi after his deer mother's death in that first stretch of games; he looked shaky, nervous, and heart-breakingly out of his element.

Although he has great physical gifts that should allow him to do well at any level, Slafkovsky played like a youngster WAY over his head, with the game moving much too quick for him to respond. Basically, any halfway-decent player straight out of the ECHL would have had a better showing than Slafkovsky in those first couple games, to say nothing of a fresh first-overall pick.

In fact, if it had continued that way I would have become very vocal about sending him back to Laval or maybe even Europe before we, again, destroyed a promising young player's development. And I try to keep a cool, level-headed mind as a person/poster, trying to stop from overreacting/being hasty. So that should give a hint as to how badly I thought about Slafkovsky's performance to start the year, and the mounting urgency I felt.

But then Slafkovsky got his first goal in a majorly flukey way, it did wonders for his confidence, and I don't know why/how, but the game seems to have stopped going 600% too fast for him.

Since then he's responded very, very well (not perfect mind, still LOTS to improve in his case) and has more than acquitted himself of his responsibilities for our team. Much more importantly though, Slafkovsky, who looked lost during that first stretch, is now on a pretty clear upwards trajectory curve development-wise and seems to improve a little bit every game, going by the eye test.

He's also shown a lot more intelligence on the ice than he did previously, even though he hasn't been especially effective offensively yet.

So yeah, as long as that progression is there every game we should keep him in the NHL. And if he really needs more playing time to further polish his game we can always send him back to the AHL, and maybe for the WJC.

Now, as far as pure stats go, even though the advanced statistics that have been pointed out do indeed reflect a part of Slafkovsky's output on the ice, and his inability to have a sizeable impact offensively, they also largely ignore context.

Fact of the matter is that Slafkovsky's NHL career is only 10-games old. Then there's also the fact that his coach has told him to focus on learning how to play well in all three zones 5-on-5 (emphasis on taking care of the puck/defense) while he's been playing mostly on the fourth line, which hasn't produced much as a whole, and with little offensive deployment. So maybe give him a break for a while in the offensive department?

Do forgive me for the overly long post, but I had to substantiate my point and get it across as clearly as I could, and I did, although it did clutter up this thread a bit.

Anyways, that's it from me. Cheers and have a good night.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad