LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
He's played 8 games and has yet to register a hit. Kinda surprising, usually you see the new rookies look to throw their body around (not that I would expect him to have 10 hits a game but at least 1 a game..)
Gaudreau has never been a player who throws the hits.

People are just looking for anything to pick apart. :laugh: Gaudreau is in the NHL because he's good enough to be in the NHL.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's played 8 games and has yet to register a hit. Kinda surprising, usually you see the new rookies look to throw their body around (not that I would expect him to have 10 hits a game but at least 1 a game..)

As opposed to old rookies?
Its obvious you are grasping at straws to criticize Gaudreau. But he was never expected to be an aggressive physical player. I'm sure if he went out there and started trying to hit everything Hartley wouldn't be too happy. Kid is too good to be crashing and banging. His current forecheck style is more than sufficient at turning pucks over.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
He's certainly been nowhere close to the best rookie, despite his age. Far too much hype for the kid but he's going to be an NHL player, that much is clear. Too early to say what he ends up being but so far both those over hyping him and those picking him to bust appear to be wrong.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
Never said anything like that, was just responding to why fans were so quick to jump on JG's slow start

Sorry, got you mixed up with someone calling for him to go to the AHL because of a slow statistical start. I agree with that to some extent, though haters love to ignore context in which he was discussed (by most), so that's annoying.

ForeverFlameFan said:
Johnny's defensive game's pretty underrated.

This will be true until he starts producing and even then he will never look the part. His possession numbers are sub-par right now, so he shouldn't really be drawing universal defensive praise, but I do think that he has a some great, sneaky defensive abilities. IF ONLY LITTLE JOHNNY COULD HIT!!!! BURKE!! TRUCULENCE!! :laugh: Johnny Hit-key!!

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Just trying to look for faults in Johnny's game, aren't ya? He's not meant for hitting, even you could have answered that yourself with the body that Johnny has.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I'm encouraged by his effort and progress so far, at both ends of the ice. That's all one should hope for from a rookie 9 games into his career.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Just wait till he starts getting pummeled against the boards.......he is going to have a hard time sustaining a decent NHL career simply because he is a little boy playing among men...and that is fact...and even the biggest flame homer cannot deny it!

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Just wait till he starts getting pummeled against the boards.......he is going to have a hard time sustaining a decent NHL career simply because he is a little boy playing among men...and that is fact...and even the biggest flame homer cannot deny it!

Ask Orpik what happens when you lay out our players.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Isn't that what they said about Gretzky?

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Anyone notice his short stick, I think he's trying to compensate for his short stick, seriously. He'll never amount to anything in the NHL, he could be the next Wayne Gretzky in the AHL, but that's about it.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
If he last a season I might start buying into the hype. I would be very surprised if that happen, he will be broken before next year, that's my prediction.

Isn't that what they said about Gretzky?

Are you actually comparing him to the great one? I'm so sorry for you. He's not even close to being as good as Gretzky, now. He'll never get close.

Last edited:

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

Surprised to see you here, Devonator! What brings you to this thread? :laugh:

Philoops

I am Potato
Jul 19, 2011
Canada
Surprised to see you here, Devonator! What brings you to this thread? :laugh:

I'm a sens fan reading random threads and each Calgary one ive clicked on has had that guy pop up :laugh: what's his deal? Anyway, I've seen parts if a few flames games and Gaudreau seems to be hustling, I'm sure his points will come

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012

This ... this post is all sorts of weird.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Didn't Stamkos have a slow first half of his rookie season then started to light it up in the second half.
:naughty:

Stamkos was 18 coming straight out of junior... Gaudreau is 3 years older... Part of the sales job I got was that Gaudreau had been putting up numbers against men.

Good puck skills, but he's not a superstar. IMO, his game is better suited for Europe; less physical and more open ice. If he'll ever be a star, it'll be in the KHL etc.

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
I thought for sure "Johnny hockey" would of had 20 points by now with how much flames fans were hyping him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So much ignorance in this thread . . . amazing the amount of hate that this kid generates. Funny that it only comes after games where he doesn't show up on the scoresheet. Its probably best to, you know, actually the games if you are going to comment about a prospect on a prospect board. You might sound less like a 7 year old.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
45% of these threads are opposing fans pumping Gaudreau's tires, another 45% are fans coming in and telling Flames fans how they expected more due to the hype, and 10% is Flames fans actually hyping Gaudreau.

And I think that's being very generous.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
45% of these threads are opposing fans pumping Gaudreau's tires, another 45% are fans coming in and telling Flames fans how they expected more due to the hype, and 10% is Flames fans actually hyping Gaudreau.

And I think that's being very generous.

Agreed.
Flames fans have really toned down the pumping that they were doing last year and this summer.
I think they've realized he has a way to go and have tempered their expectations.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So much ignorance in this thread . . . amazing the amount of hate that this kid generates. Funny that it only comes after games where he doesn't show up on the scoresheet. Its probably best to, you know, actually the games if you are going to comment about a prospect on a prospect board. You might sound less like a 7 year old.

Seems like every game he doesn't end up on the scoresheet.

Again, he looks "pretty" out there, but at some point he's going to have to start producing. 3 points in 9 games is not very good when he's a player who doesn't offer much more.

I saw some fans predict a 60+ point season from him this year, he'd better start scoring soon if this is going to happen.

As for your Gretzky comment.. Gretzky didn't have the body of a 12 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad