LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Gaudreau was underwhelming in his first 5 games. Had some flashes but that was it. Being a healthy scratch seems to have helped him and getting that first goal has definitely given him a huge boost of confidence, which is what he needs to play with to do well.

I'm glad to see at least one Flames fan gets it. He wasn't bad by any stretch, but he certainly wasn't how many supporters were hyping him to be during those first 5 games.

Has definitely looked better since being scratched though.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I'm glad to see at least one Flames fan gets it. He wasn't bad by any stretch, but he certainly wasn't how many supporters were hyping him to be during those first 5 games.

Has definitely looked better since being scratched though.

To be fair, where he looks best now is on the PP. He wasn't on a PP unit until the Chicago game.

At regular strength he's not usually playing with the most talented of linemates.

I think the Flames are worried about burning him out. The first year transition from college to the NHL can be brutal because of the difference in schedules. The U.S. college guys don't play nearly as many games as the Canadian junior leagues and NHL do.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Happy to see Hartley finally gave him PP time.

Hopefully we'll see Gaudreau play in overtime from now on too. The more room he has on the ice to be creative, the more having him out there will pay off.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
It's just funny how much flack JG has been taking. For example, Sean Monahan just hasn't been very good to this point (but he's shown flashes in the last few games), and you don't hear anything about him. Monahan's played most of a season and no-one seems to say anything. But Gaudreau has just been torn to pieces because he didn't adjust well his first five games. He wasn't a liability defensively but he just had no confidence. He was playing scared. But it was his first 5 games!! Like what did people expect?

The last two games he has shown his confidence and has been pretty much excellent.

JG enters the zone on the powerplay in exaclty the same way Datsyuk does. The defencemen skate the puck up. JG drops behing them. The defensive team is forced to take TJ Brodie, or Mark Giordano, who then does a drop pass to JG who picks the puck up at full speed while the defence is a little flat footed. I've seen Datsyuk and Lidstrom do it a 1000 times and I guarantee that Bob Harley copied it from them, now that they have a guy who can dangle when he gets time and space. It's so hard to defend. How can you stop all of the options, a) the outlet passes to the two high forwards b)the puck rushing ability of TJ Brodie and Mark Giordano and c) the drop pass to Johnny G? I don't think there is an answer to that question and that's why the flames are going to have a very good PP going forward.

Jul 22, 2012
It's just funny how much flack JG has been taking. For example, Sean Monahan just hasn't been very good to this point (but he's shown flashes in the last few games), and you don't hear anything about him. Monahan's played most of a season and no-one seems to say anything. But Gaudreau has just been torn to pieces because he didn't adjust well his first five games. He wasn't a liability defensively but he just had no confidence. He was playing scared. But it was his first 5 games!! Like what did people expect?

The last two games he has shown his confidence and has been pretty much excellent.

JG enters the zone on the powerplay in exaclty the same way Datsyuk does. The defencemen skate the puck up. JG drops behing them. The defensive team is forced to take TJ Brodie, or Mark Giordano, who then does a drop pass to JG who picks the puck up at full speed while the defence is a little flat footed. I've seen Datsyuk and Lidstrom do it a 1000 times and I guarantee that Bob Harley copied it from them, now that they have a guy who can dangle when he gets time and space. It's so hard to defend. How can you stop all of the options, a) the outlet passes to the two high forwards b)the puck rushing ability of TJ Brodie and Mark Giordano and c) the drop pass to Johnny G? I don't think there is an answer to that question and that's why the flames are going to have a very good PP going forward.

Just imagine if he was Russian. The crap some of these kids take is so ridiculous. Let 'em play.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Gaudreau has taken a little while to figure out each new level of hockey he has moved to. His first season in Dubuque and his first season at BC did not start off quickly but as his coaches learned more about his abilities and trusted his play, they gave more responsibility and his confidence took off. Anyone who has followed him over the years knows what he is capable of doing and knows that it doesn't take long for him to figure things out.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Just imagine if he was Russian. The crap some of these kids take is so ridiculous. Let 'em play.

Lots of young players are off to slow starts. And lots of stars have had crappy early seasons in NHL history. It all comes down to hype, MacKinnon/Gaudreau are talked about a lot so their starts were under the microscope, whereas Monahan people are more conservative on.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Maybe he should learn his game in the AHL...Why are they rushing him so much, Flames arent going to make the playoffs either way.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Maybe he should learn his game in the AHL...Why are they rushing him so much, Flames arent going to make the playoffs either way.

The AHL isn't for everybody. For some players, the best way to get used to playing against NHLers is to play against NHLers. Gaudreau seems like the exact type of prospect who is too good for lower leagues, but will have some growing pains against NHL competition.

Moreover, he doesn't even look bad. He's shown skill and creativity, he just needs some seasoning for it all to click. I'm not a Flames fan and not in the Gaudreau for 10 straight Hart trophies brigade, for the record.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

He was taking so much crap for his rough start because everyone had to ensure Flames fans ridiculously hyping him all summer.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007

He's not being rushed. He's in the NHL because he can play in the NHL. His confidence is growing each game and he's looking more and more dangerous on both ends of the ice.

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
He was taking so much crap for his rough start because everyone had to ensure Flames fans ridiculously hyping him all summer.

So message board hype and unrealistic online expectations should dictate what NHL teams do with their prospects? Alright.

A re-assessment after 20 games seems rational. Right now he is passing the eyeball test and trending in the right direction, which is more than you can say for the AHL club.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
He's not being rushed. He's in the NHL because he can play in the NHL. His confidence is growing each game and he's looking more and more dangerous on both ends of the ice.

He looked like he belonged there in last night's game. He played a lot of minutes and was effective. His scoring will come. He's NHL ready. Bet the Hurricanes wished they had him last night as they looked awful.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I caught the 2nd and 3rd last night. Man was he making some great defensive plays. Once the flames got up by 3 you could see how conservative and unselfish he was with his ice time and the puck, getting it deep and getting off the ice.

A couple of his back checks broke up a few very dangerous scoring chances. While the game was already out of reach, he kept up his defensive intensity, going out of his way to ensure the shutout. Pretty impressive to see from a rookie winger, especially one with the (unearned) reputation of being one dimensional.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
So message board hype and unrealistic online expectations should dictate what NHL teams do with their prospects? Alright.

A re-assessment after 20 games seems rational. Right now he is passing the eyeball test and trending in the right direction, which is more than you can say for the AHL club.

Never said anything like that, was just responding to why fans were so quick to jump on JG's slow start

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
He's played 8 games and has yet to register a hit. Kinda surprising, usually you see the new rookies look to throw their body around (not that I would expect him to have 10 hits a game but at least 1 a game..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad