LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
In the Vlasic video, I'm quite certain he did mean to bank the puck off the back of the net. Good videos, he's so dangerous from behind the net, it's fun to watch.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then.

I see why lots of people believe it was intentional, but the way he followed through and barely making content with the puck makes me doubt it.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009

I see why lots of people believe it was intentional, but the way he followed through and barely making content with the puck makes me doubt it.

If this was Bollig or someone, sure, I could see why you thought it was unintentional. But Gaudreau takes the puck behind the net every chance he gets, he's done the bank pass to himself a dozen times already.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

Gaudreau passes the puck to himself off the net quite often, for those who watch every game this is something we almost expect now. There is no reason to think that this time it was an accident when it's clearly a favorite move in his repertoire

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012

It's not a matter of disagreeing. You can't disagree with a fact. Well, I guess you can, but it comes off a bit screwy.

stardefender*

I love the **** out of JG but Vlasic played that perfectly. Not an undressing in any sense of the word.

Funny, I would think 'perfectly' would have seen him come away with the puck.

He was chasing a guy half his size with a significant reach disadvantage, got turned around, and the smaller guy came away with the puck.

There's 2 or 3 of you making a much bigger deal out of the play than necessary. It happened, was a nice play Sportsnet keyed in and replayed a couple times, and now it's over. Move on.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
They may not all get sick of playing hockey, but the rookie wall is very much a mental thing, especially if a player stops having offensive success. None of these kids are used to anything but being dominant forces on their teams. When that's no longer the case, it has to impact them mentally.
Playing twice as many games as in a college season and travelling way more is certainly going to have an impact as well. It's a huge lifestyle change and it doesn't surprise me it often impacts players coming from college.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Playing twice as many games as in a college season and travelling way more is certainly going to have an impact as well. It's a huge lifestyle change and it doesn't surprise me it often impacts players coming from college.

I honestly have seen the opposite - players from college seem much more prepared to play a full NHL season. While they play more games in major junior, they still play tons of hockey in the NCAA, much tighter checking hockey with a higher physical toll. Playing 65 games in the CHL as an overager isn't exactly preparing you for the lack of space available in the NHL.

And with the cerebral nature of Gaudreau's game, I'd expect him to actually get better and better as the season progresses. Its a trend he's shown at every level. By the end of the season / tournament, he's got full confidence and is playing his best hockey. I expect this trend to continue.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If anyone wants to see how much the rest of the league respects Gaudreau, watch how much Vermette (#50) cheats on him at the blue line, which opened up the lane for Russell's backhand pass to Jooris for the goal.

Vermette was back checking on the play, saw Russell considering the drop to Gaudreau, and took himself right out if the passing lane to the net to prevent the drop to Gaudreau.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I wonder if his play might change some peoples minds in the Gaudreau vs Drouin polls. Not that Drouin has really hurt his stock just that Gaudreau is beginning to prove he's an nhler.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
He is the best offensive forward on the Flames.

Gaudreau keeps looking better and better too, it's scary how good he'll be by seasons end.

I'm guessing 60 points for him this year.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Gauds seems to have a lot of Kane in him. Bet ya'll are happy Burkey allowed this kid to have his shot and not dismiss him because of his size. Although by the time he stepped into office Gaudreau was a monster in college.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I did not believe all the hype pre-season. Johnny hockey seems to be the real deal. Good for the Flames. They have built a real nice team in a short time.

PZA*

I honestly believe he should have more points than what he has now... he creates so many scoring chances on a nightly basis... if Cammy didn't leave the Flames, and played on the same line as Gaudreau, he would probably be the leading rookie scorer easily.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Wow. I have a hard time believing he can maintain that pace, but so far I have apparently underestimated him because he continues to find the score sheet. I predicted 40 points for him assuming he played 82 games.

Remember my prediction before the season started? It's all going according to plan.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I honestly believe he should have more points than what he has now... he creates so many scoring chances on a nightly basis... if Cammy didn't leave the Flames, and played on the same line as Gaudreau, he would probably be the leading rookie scorer easily.

Wait until Hartley moves him onto a line with Monahan - best pure finisher on the team, thinks the game at Gaudreau's level, those two are going to be devastating.

Steven

May 10, 2009
Wait until Hartley moves him onto a line with Monahan - best pure finisher on the team, thinks the game at Gaudreau's level, those two are going to be devastating.

Been waiting for this all season tbh. Thing is, JG has been in a scoring role most the season playing with Hudler, while Money has had to step up and be the hard, defensive minutes C. I wonder if when we get some injured centres healthy again if we see Hartley put Johnny-Money-Huds together. I really hope so!

DayTripper

Jul 9, 2013
DPR of HF
After an offseason of Oilers fans complaining about Gaudreau being so overrated, Gaudreau has more points than any Oiler this season. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad