LW Johnny Gaudreau (2011, 104th overall, Calgary) IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stardefender*

^ Disagree with you both. Vlassic outweighs him by about 50 pounds and he was battling him for position and the puck behind the net. Used agility, edge work and banking it off the net to allude him and come away with the puck. With the amount of haters claiming he'd never do things like that against quality NHL defenders, it was worth a look. Sportsnet obviously thought so as well, as it was replayed after it happened as well as later in the broadcast.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
^ Disagree with you both. Vlassic outweighs him by about 50 pounds and he was battling him for position and the puck behind the net. Used agility, edge work and banking it off the net to allude him and come away with the puck. With the amount of haters claiming he'd never do things like that against quality NHL defenders, it was worth a look. Sportsnet obviously thought so as well, as it was replayed after it happened as well as later in the broadcast.

It was a great battle, but he never meant to bank it off the net. He tried to pass it to an outlet, Vlasic was able to get enough of his stick so it was whiffed and then JG was able to get the puck back. By no means did he undress Vlasic, but he didn't lose possession either.

JG is a great player and so far has proved the doubters wrong, but theres no need to over exaggerate a play.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
tumblr_nfvkha3RCa1qztyafo1_500.png

"Aw, made you look, You a slave to a page in my deke book."

- Nasty J. Gaudstradamus
He's shooting, Ah made you look.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He's soooo slippery and slick:

Am I the only one that thinks he overcomplicated his game there? He had no one coming at him when he did the spinorama and almost lost the puck when it hit the back of the net. He needs to know when to be 'slippery and slick' and when to play it simple

inb4 'you're a johnny hockey hater'...no I like him, just reporting what I see.

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Am I the only one that thinks he overcomplicated his game there? He had no one coming at him when he did the spinorama and almost lost the puck when it hit the back of the net. He needs to know when to be 'slippery and slick' and when to play it simple

No, I agree, he definitely overcomplicates things. Right now he's trying to cut through a thousand ways, when he has the skill to slice it just but once. He'll refine it as he progresses, natch.

stardefender*

It was a great battle, but he never meant to bank it off the net.

Except he did, and then used quickness and leaning back on Vlassic to win the battle for position. No one's saying it's play of the week, but it was an impressive sequence. Those who don't like it are free to not watch it and not visit a thread that's going to feature video and talk about him.

And (as mentioned) if it upsets you, you might want to cc Sportsnet on your comments, as they showed and discussed the sequence twice.

Last edited by a moderator:

stardefender*

Am I the only one that thinks he overcomplicated his game there? He had no one coming at him when he did the spinorama and almost lost the puck when it hit the back of the net. He needs to know when to be 'slippery and slick' and when to play it simple.

At the beginning of that play, yes. But hockey's a fast game. That's how he operates behind the net and down low, and the point is, before this season there were hoards of people saying it would never work in the NHL and that he'd never avoid being flattened.

I think he's proved beyond a doubt now that he's capable of playing his game without getting run over and hurt by guys 50-70 pounds heavier than him.

Now, to adjust even further he's going to have to get comfortable and start to shoot more.

(Not saying just you)... some of you need to take a look at the thread title. You're going to see things over analyzed with regard to him in a thread dedicated to him. It's not like this is in the main NHL thread. If anyone's tired of the hype or thinks this discussion is overkill, it's very simple to avoid this thread all together. He's going to be discussed at nausea here.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I am pretty sure Johnny thought the Coyote defender (Schlemko I think), was going to pursue to puck, but instead just let Johnny do is thing. Johnny didn't have to spin around, Schlemko just defended him properly. That's all.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
(Not saying just you)... some of you need to take a look at the thread title. You're going to see things over analyzed with regard to him in a thread dedicated to him. It's not like this is in the main NHL thread. If anyone's tired of the hype or thinks this discussion is overkill, it's very simple to avoid this thread all together. He's going to be discussed at nausea here.

I think we're all here to discuss him, but in a fair and level-headed manner.
I am pretty sure Johnny thought the Coyote defender (Schlemko I think), was going to pursue to puck, but instead just let Johnny do is thing. Johnny didn't have to spin around, Schlemko just defended him properly. That's all.

That's entirely plausible. Still a nifty play.

stardefender*

not to mention, he's always pivoting and spinning like that. I'm fairly certain it's a defense mechanism to avoid full on contact.

stardefender*

I think we're all here to discuss him, but in a fair and level-headed manner.

If only that were true... Have you read this or the three previous threads? There are a large group of people who come in just to comment on how they're tired of the hype, critique and spew hate. It's lessened in the last little while since he's shown he can play at this level, but it still exists nonetheless.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Sky is the limit for Johnny. His anticipation and vision must be top 10ish in the NHL already.

Last night was about the 4th or 5th game where it was obvious he could have had 3+ points. It's only a matter of time before he has a 3+ game and starts to cut into FF's lead.

Agree 100%. I've been saying it for a while, the kid's anticipation and vision are literally second to none in this league. He's got that Crosby like knack for finding the open man with the puck, and finding open ice around the net without it.

I honestly think he's about to breakout and start wrecking the league. The fact that he's only got 4 goals is astonishing, and shows some of the puck luck struggles he's had. He's bound to start getting some bounces, and when that happens, watch out.

Last edited:

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

The man playing him at the side of the net didnt know which way to go. You can see him stop dead in his tracks.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm

That's what I thought the first time I saw the video was well.

I'm not sure if it was intentional or not but he totally faked the goalie out with his spin and I think he would have scored if the defender didn't poke check the puck off his stick.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
In the Vlasic video, I'm quite certain he did mean to bank the puck off the back of the net. Good videos, he's so dangerous from behind the net, it's fun to watch.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Agree 100%. I've been saying it for a while, the kid's anticipation and vision are literally second to none in this league. He's got that Crosby like knack for finding the open man with the puck, and finding open ice around the net without it.

I honestly think he's about to breakout and start wrecking the league. The fact that he's only got 4 goals is astonishing, and shows some of the puck luck struggles he's had. He's bound to start getting some bounces, and when that happens, watch out.

I can see him going a point per game in the second half of the season, and getting close to the 70 point barrier.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I can see him going a point per game in the second half of the season, and getting close to the 70 point barrier.

I love Gaudreau, but I just don't see this happening. The NHL schedule is a grind between practices and 82 games. Gaudreau's playing style isn't especially taxing on his body, but you have to expect a guy transitioning from a college schedule is going to start to wear down once he hits 50-60 games played mark. I think his production will dip and he'll finish with around 50 points (assuming he stays healthy). 50 points would have been considered optimistic at the start of the year since many speculated he would start in the AHL. It would probably be enough to get him a Calder nomination as well.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I love Gaudreau, but I just don't see this happening. The NHL schedule is a grind between practices and 82 games. Gaudreau's playing style isn't especially taxing on his body, but you have to expect a guy transitioning from a college schedule is going to start to wear down once he hits 50-60 games played mark. I think his production will dip and he'll finish with around 50 points (assuming he stays healthy). 50 points would have been considered optimistic at the start of the year since many speculated he would start in the AHL. It would probably be enough to get him a Calder nomination as well.

50 points was considered optimistic by people who didn't know how good he was. 50 points is incredibly pessimistic (only 33 points in his next 58 games) considering he's scored 17 points in his last 19 games. If he plays a full season, there is a very low probability that he finishes <55 points.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

I think the "rookie wall" is mental more than physical. Players who aren't accustomed to the long season just get sick of playing hockey. Obviously that hurts their game.

By all accounts, JG just enjoys the game more than most players. I read that he hated when the BC coach gave the team a day off practice. I think mentally he will be ready and motivated for every game this year. I don't see a slump coming.

RickyR

Dec 8, 2013
It took him FIVE games to get up to speed in the NHL and score ppg? Wow, talk about a bust.

Just wait until he plays against real defensemen playing real playoff games using real sticks and real pucks. Then just watch.

Also, he's short.

I Am Sidney Crosby*

I think the "rookie wall" is mental more than physical. Players who aren't accustomed to the long season just get sick of playing hockey. Obviously that hurts their game.

No. Just no.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
No. Just no.

They may not all get sick of playing hockey, but the rookie wall is very much a mental thing, especially if a player stops having offensive success. None of these kids are used to anything but being dominant forces on their teams. When that's no longer the case, it has to impact them mentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad